Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable

Personally, on a scale of 1 to 10, factual/well-reasoned/accurate rates a 9.999 and 'tactics and choices to voice them'/discernable bias rates a .001.

How bout you?

like I said I don't agree, but your stance against make little sense to me either.

Its not cheaper if 40nm yields are failing left and right with your hardware. And 55nm stuff is still selling.

While its not the best situation its better than the silly fantasy of ATI taking over and somehow prices dont skyrocket. "I think the PC gaming would be better off without nvidia craps. " Comments like this I wonder how they appear on this forum.

Wasn't MY comment. I'm in the market for a 5850 and I would far rather be posting on whether the clues are pointing to the GF100 so hammering the 5800 cards on price/performance, ATI will have to sell them for $259/$199 to compete.

But that's not the reality.

Some of the most expensive too.

Xbit has an interesting article on a EVGA motherboard ... top notch quality - ATROCIOUS docummentation ... http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/evga-p55-ftw.html

If Fermi is a washout, who in their right minds is NOW going to invest in an EVGA SLI board with it's NF200 performance penalty if they're going to buy AMD cards?

As soon as Nvidia releases their few thousand GT470/480 cards and the review site numbers come in, there's going to be a tidal wave of holdouts and fence sitters headed AMD's way.

It's just silly to contend Fermi failing isn't going to severly impact EVGA's future SLI board sales.

It doesn't matter how awesome (and expensive) EVGA boards are, ALL of their upper range cards are SLI and have the NF200 chip, and if someone is going to buy two 5000 series cards, why would they buy a motherboard with a built in performance penalty?

Not to mention the 275/280/285 cards were EOLed a while back.

Wow, just wow. I think you didn't even really read what I posted and just decided to go on a fanboy rant.

My tri-fire 5870s were expensive too, but I bought them because I have money and no dumb fanboy venom that would stop me from combining an X58 from evga (no nforce 200 unless you want it, thats misinformation, just fyi) with three of the fastest cards I can buy.

I can see somebody let Charlie out of the box, again. Seriously, I hate fanboys and he needs to STFU and GTFO. Nobody likes one sided rants anyway.

If it's an i3, i5 or i7 board and does SLI, it has an NF200 chip.

And if it's not an i3, i5 or i7 board, what's the point?

Think your a lil misinformed there, Doesnt the P55 chipset natively support SLI and Crossfire? Isnt the only need for the NF200 the addition of extra PCIe lanes past the 8x8 that the P55 chipset provides?

Wow, just wow. I think you didn't even really read what I posted and just decided to go on a fanboy rant.

My tri-fire 5870s were expensive too, but I bought them because I have money and no dumb fanboy venom that would stop me from combining an X58 from evga (no nforce 200 unless you want it, thats misinformation, just fyi) with three of the fastest cards I can buy.

You're missing the point. The PRIMARY reason people would look to EVGA motherboards is for their SLI capability, which motherboards they have the lions share of.

Otherwise, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are the top tier and best known players followed by a plethora of 2nd tier players. If someone wants to go multiple GPU boards in their computer and decide to buy AMD cards, EVGA is not going to be at the top of the motherboard list for the vast majority of buyers.

And if Fermi crashes and burns, those interested in SLI capability are going to be steadily decreasing to a point of negligibility. With the 275/280/285 cards well into EOL status, and the 470/480 cards unobtainable/crazy uncompetitive, where is the market for future SLI motherboards?

It's not a matter of bias, or fanboyism, it's a matter of hard factual logic and marketplace reality.

Last edited:
Not good....come on nVidia, get some hard numbers or info out to us and prove this guy wrong. :eek::(

Think your a lil misinformed there, Doesnt the P55 chipset natively support SLI and Crossfire? Isnt the only need for the NF200 the addition of extra PCIe lanes past the 8x8 that the P55 chipset provides?

I stand corrected.

Amended to read NF200 chips on boards with three way SL capability.

his stance. I think its respectable.

Putting personal prejudice/bias against an information source above the quality of information that source is providing ... ?

Gets NO respect from me.

That's the mindset that leads to sheepbotism, and the growing prevalence of THAT phenomenon is proving highly detrimental to Life On Earth.

You're missing the point. The PRIMARY reason people would look to EVGA motherboards is for their SLI capability, which motherboards they have the lions share of.

Otherwise, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are the top tier and best known players followed by a plethora of 2nd tier players. If someone wants to go multiple GPU boards in their computer and decide to buy AMD cards, EVGA is not going to be at the top of the motherboard list for the vast majority of buyers.

And if Fermi crashes and burns, those interested in SLI capability are going to be steadily decreasing to a point of negligibility. With the 275/280/285 cards will into EOL status, and the 470/480 cards unobtainable/crazy uncompetitive, where is the market for future SLI motherboards?

It's not a matter of bias, or fanboyism, it's a matter of hard factual logic and marketplace reality.

No you're missing the point, and brutally so. SLI / Xfire support has nothing to do with motherboard vendor at all with the x58, all x58 and p55 motherboards support both, and evga has been in the game long enough for anyone(without the fanboy venom you are oozing) to be interested in buying one of their motherboards, sli or crossfire, simply because of outstanding support.

No you're missing the point, and brutally so. SLI / Xfire support has nothing to do with motherboard vendor at all with the x58, all x58 and p55 motherboards support both, and evga has been in the game long enough for anyone(without the fanboy venom you are oozing) to be interested in buying one of their motherboards, sli or crossfire, simply because of outstanding support.

Have to concur. Main reason I chose EVGA is for their exemplary support...something other mobo makers seem to lack in. And the fact that their mobos are quality products makes it an easy choice. What's funny is it's the first EVGA product I have ever bought and it's a motherboard, not a vid card. Won't hesitate going EVGA again and pairing it up with any card be it Nvidia or ATi.

Putting personal prejudice/bias against an information source above the quality of information that source is providing ... ?

Gets NO respect from me.

That's the mindset that leads to sheepbotism, and the growing prevalence of THAT phenomenon is proving highly detrimental to Life On Earth.

+1

I'm really starting to dislike people ignoring information from a source that at least recently has been fairly accurate information. Really, I think the only counter-argument people have came up with is '40nm revenues(not yields) are up over 178%'! and a twitter from a PR Guy saying 'Ohh, that reporter. He's so funny. Saying there's no weapons of mass destruction. Ha, so untrue. Ignore his evidence and look at this pretty powerpoint about moving trains'.

A. 40nm revenues are based off a substantially smaller die size that Fermi. If it means they are improving their yields, great. However, if it just means before they only had OEM gpus for notebooks/laptops and now have OEM Gpus for notebooks/laptops/plus desktops and the desktop gpu sales are accounting for the 78% then ...really this would be a mute point, wouldn't it? Not to mention, if we did assume yields are up 178% given that revenues are up 178% and Fermi was previously at say 2% last quater, a 178% increase only puts them at around 7% yields, doesn't it?

B. Its a PR guys' job to dismiss any negative information/reports/articles with 'Pshh, we're still #1 and customers can trust we'll always be #1 giving you the best value through customer service, competitive prices, innovation, blah balh blah blah blah qualty this, green that, blah blah'.

Yea I tend to agree, the selling point for me when it comes to EVGA boards is the outstanding service and support that comes with a purchase. I couldn't care less about SLI.

Brutally ... venom ... oozing ... and you call me a fanboy?

I notice you didn't directly address the points I raised.

In lieu of reasoned responses to those points, how can you be considered a worthy protagonist?

Brutally ... venom ... oozing ... and you call me a fanboy?

I notice you didn't directly address the points I raised.

In lieu of reasoned responses to those points, how can you be considered a worthy protagonist?

I own three gtx 260s, and three 5870s, and I've run both sets on an x58 Sli. Yeah, I'm calling you a fanboy, and no, I'm not off base, you're just a misinformed twerp spewing crap you obviously know nothing about.

Evga is more than just nvidia video cards. The classified is a fantastic and well known overclocking motherboard.

Here is my stock clock tri-fire run:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1793758
Here is my tri-sli run with physx on:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1027967

Now kindly go fall in a well and die peeing on yourself. Edit: Please.

+1

I'm really starting to dislike people ignoring information from a source that at least recently has been fairly accurate information. Really, I think the only counter-argument people have came up with is '40nm revenues(not yields) are up over 178%'! and a twitter from a PR Guy saying 'Ohh, that reporter. He's so funny. Saying there's no weapons of mass destruction. Ha, so untrue. Ignore his evidence and look at this pretty powerpoint about moving trains'.

That Q4 178% figure means squat without knowing what that increase is FROM and what percentage of Nvidia's overall revenue it represents.

If, for example, Q3 40nm revenues were $30M and represented 2% of Nvidia's revenues, that 178% would mean squat to Nvidia's bottom line or to it's future 40nm prospects against AMD's 40nm DX11 onslaught.

Not providing meaninful context is neither honest nor credible.

well yes he did, when he absolutely had to that is, he like Nvidia's new power saving mobile solution.
The article on semiaccurate about Optimus was by Lars-Göran Nilsson not Charlie D.

And regarding the G92 failure issues Charlie kept going on and on with throught 2008/09, mine did go bust. Then again it was still under warranty, and it did some good overclocks so I'm not complaining.

I own three gtx 260s, and three 5870s, and I've run both sets on an x58 Sli. Yeah, I'm calling you a fanboy, and no, I'm not off base, you're just a misinformed twerp spewing crap you obviously know nothing about.

Evga is more than just nvidia video cards. The classified is a fantastic and well known overclocking motherboard.

Here is my stock clock tri-fire run:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1793758
Here is my tri-sli run with physx on:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1027967

Now kindly go fall in a well and die peeing on yourself. Edit: Please.

That Q4 178% figure means squat without knowing what that increase is FROM and what percentage of Nvidia's overall revenue it represents.

If, for example, Q3 40nm revenues were $30M and represented 2% of Nvidia's revenues, that 178% would mean squat to Nvidia's bottom line or to it's future 40nm prospects against AMD's 40nm DX11 onslaught.

Not providing meaninful context is neither honest nor credible.

Dodgeball anyone? Anyways, I have a feeling that this will turn out like the HD 2900 xt's did. It was a paper dragon, but that's all it was. It was a huge let down in terms of what people thought it would do.

I bet no ones going to see a fermi until September-December. By then Ati will have its next generation or souped up version out.

I don't give a XXXX(pick one) about nvidia or ati frankly, but evga has always done extremely well by me, and spreading misinformation about one of the best AIB partners any gpu vendor could have?

Thats fanboyism in the worst way.

I don't give a XXXX(pick one) about nvidia or ati frankly, but evga has always done extremely well by me, and spreading misinformation about one of the best AIB partners any gpu vendor could have?

Wasn't talking about you. /facepalm

This topic has gone to the dogs. Close please.

Its broken down into fights over SLI or who is the biggest Fanboi

I stand corrected.

Neither the EVGA SLI LE or SLI Micro use the NF200 either.... Those are 1366.

I'm pretty sure EVGA has totally stopped using the nf200 except for the p55 series, as test results show the added latency in using that chip actually makes it slower than running tri-sli at x16+x8+x8. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only use the nf200 with the p55 so they can enable 3 way sli.

Also, if Fermi tanks, all EVGA has to do is rename its SLI boards, not to mention most of their boards already stopped using SLI in their names.

P55 Classified
P55 FTW 200
P55 FTW
P55 SLI
P55 LE
P55 Micro
P55 V

(note only the Classified and FTW 200 use the nf200 chip I believe)

Only a single board named SLI this time around, and all of them run crossfire. All they need to do is start advertising the crossfire and they will keep their business, as they have some of the best boards on the market. Personally I went with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, as it was cheaper and had more bells and whistles since it looks like EVGA stopped designing new 1366 boards, but if Fermi is a good card, I will only buy EVGA because I know I won't be dicked around if I need an RMA.

It's not 'misinformation', it's my reasoned speculation based on the information to hand.

EVGA may make awesome motherboards and have awesome support, but what % of the total aftermarket motherboard market do they own?

The thing with EVGA is they are so closely associated and intertwined with Nvidia. Remember, we are talking about FUTURE sales here. If a person is buying two or three high end EVGA video cards, a EVGA motherboard naturally comes to mind. The same is not true if a person is buying two or three high end AMD video cards.

The 275/280/285 Nvidia cards have been EOLed for some time now, they will disappear from the market in due course. It is more than likely Fermi I will be a fail with the current paid for run of wafers reportedly providing some 8000 to 10000 total useable Fermi chips. Whether Nvidia will order more wafers yielding usable chips at $200+/per is doubtful. With those chips spread out over the entire consumer and pro markets, and with Quatro line providing the only possbilityof profits on Fermi, the consumer market isn't likely to get more than a trickle of 470/480 cards.

That will eventually leave the 260 as the sole upper end single GPU video card left standing for a period of time.

EVGA may make an awesome motherboard, but to the overall aftermarket demographic, EVGA = Nvidia, and if sales of high end Nvidia GeForce cards fall off a cliff, there WILL be a commensurate, if not exactly correspondent, fall off in the need for motherboards providing full x16 SLI capability and there will be a diminuation of EVGA's market presence and name recognition over time in the video card market and, consequently, in the motherboard market.

There will continue to BE a market for EVGA motherboards, but without the Nvidia association edge and name recognition, it is in a motherboard market that is FIERCELY competitive and ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte, among others, are coming out with truly compelling simple and deeply capable overclocking solutions.

I would appreciate it if you provide reasoned arguments to specific points in my posts.

Last edited:
I stand corrected.

EVGA classified non-NF200 version can do that just fine.

So if you want to go to a subset of ONLY P55 boards that can run Tri-SLI then yes, that would require an NF200 because of the design of P55. Well I suppose you could run it at 8x4x4 just fine without an NF200. Don't know too many people running 3 GPUs on a mid range chipset though.

Neither the EVGA SLI LE or SLI Micro use the NF200 either.... Those are 1366.

I'm pretty sure EVGA has totally stopped using the nf200 except for the p55 series, as test results show the added latency in using that chip actually makes it slower than running tri-sli at x16+x8+x8. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only use the nf200 with the p55 so they can enable 3 way sli.

Also, if Fermi tanks, all EVGA has to do is rename its SLI boards, not to mention most of their boards already stopped using SLI in their names.

Only a single board named SLI this time around, and all of them run crossfire. All they need to do is start advertising the crossfire and they will keep their business, as they have some of the best boards on the market. Personally I went with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, as it was cheaper and had more bells and whistles since it looks like EVGA stopped designing new 1366 boards, but if Fermi is a good card, I will only buy EVGA because I know I won't be dicked around if I need an RMA.

Thanks, I was not aware of those test results/Nvidia's NF200 chip use revision.

On Newegg, 12 of the 15 EVGA cards listed mention SLI capability in their description.

My understanding is that SLI/Nvidia video card/overclocking association is what gave EVGA a unique edge in the motherboard market, essentially a large fish in a smallish Nvida based pond and allowing fat profit margins on their high end boards. Without that edge, seems to me they just become another small fish in a big and VERY competitive pond. Going to be hard on their profit margins too.

My understanding is that SLI/Nvidia video card/overclocking association is what gave EVGA a unique edge in the motherboard market, essentially a large fish in a smallish Nvida based pond and allowing fat profit margins on their high end boards. Without that edge, seems to me they just become another small fish in a big and VERY competitive pond. Going to be hard on their profit margins too.

No, what gave EVGA the edge was its quality and customer service. There are still just as many Nvidia fans as ATI fans, if not more Nvidia fans left from the G80 days. Most all of those people know EVGA equals quality and assurance of customer service.

As long as Intel keeps their performance lead, and EVGA continues to make motherboards for it, there will be a thriving market for EVGA mobos.

It's not a matter of SLI/Crossfire, its a matter of quality name brand recognition. Most people already know EVGA boards now support crossfire, if things go as bad as you think, I guarantee they will start advertising that fact.

EVGA classified non-NF200 version can do that just fine.

So if you want to go to a subset of ONLY P55 boards that can run Tri-SLI then yes, that would require an NF200 because of the design of P55. Well I suppose you could run it at 8x4x4 just fine without an NF200. Don't know too many people running 3 GPUs on a mid range chipset though.

I stand corrected.

No, what gave EVGA the edge was its quality and customer service. There are still just as many Nvidia fans as ATI fans, if not more Nvidia fans left from the G80 days. Most all of those people know EVGA equals quality and assurance of customer service.

As long as Intel keeps their performance lead, and EVGA continues to make motherboards for it, there will be a thriving market for EVGA mobos.

It's not a matter of SLI/Crossfire, its a matter of quality name brand recognition. Most people already know EVGA boards now support crossfire, if things go as bad as you think, I guarantee they will start advertising that fact.

If Fermi is a fail, and Nvidia does yet another round of renaming old technology, making their naming scheme even more unfathomable and confusing than it already is, how many will still be Nvidia fans a year from now?

On the other hand, if EVGA is left with no video cards to sell, motherboards may become it's sole viable revenue source and they substantially expand their presence in that market.

And there's always the possibility they are in talks with AMD to become a vendor of ATI cards and if that happens, it would make sense for them to become an AMD motherboard vendor, they would have a ready motherboard market from EVGA/Nvidia fanboys following them to EVGA Radeonland.

I noticed on Newegg EVGA already mentions the crossfire abilities of their cards.

I think that Nvidia will always release a quality video card. Whether or not it's comparable to ATI's top of the line 5800 and 5900 series is a different story. I don't think this article is really relevant to anything that has to do about the quality of Nvidia products.

Very easy solution for NVIDIA rather than posting Tweets....

RELEASE BENCHMARKS, COMPLETE DETAILS, PRICING, AND FIRM TIMELINE....

If cards are to be released in March as previously stated, all of this should be well known by now and full documentation, product codes, drivers, etc completed by now.

The fact that they haven't given us anything speaks volumes.

March begins in 11 days, where are the cards?

I think that Nvidia will always release a quality video card. Whether or not it's comparable to ATI's top of the line 5800 and 5900 series is a different story. I don't think this article is really relevant to anything that has to do about the quality of Nvidia products.

If 'quality' has absolutely nothing to do with price/performance/availability/financial viability, you may be onto something.

Geez Louise, this is what happens when I have my first cup of coffee in months.

Not to say it hasn't been fun.

...wow...I cant remember the last time a piece of kit generated so much drama in the last 10 or 15 years haha. Dammit NV, I just want a shiny new badass card! =P

Back