Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable

Wow, we're still paying attention to this guy's crap I see

You should be. His articles on this subject have been proven 'mostly' accurate over the last year.

I remember when he first created that piece back last March about the problem NVIDIA was having and how late the cards were going to be. That thread got about 25 pages of fan boys laughing at him and saying he had no credibility...and you guessed it, I don't see any Fermi's around yet.

EDIT:
Ill let this run as its more current information, but please try and keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of tabloid-style online news but this guy has been remarkably spot-on with his predictions on Fermi so far.

Really the only thing that is going to quiet the critics at this point is Nvidia actually delivering some real hardware. I'm not holding my breath...

if even 10% of this true, Fermi is shapping up to be a real headache for Nvidia, no good for fans or competition.

Every card made will be sold at a huge loss, meaning that there will probably not be any more wafers run after the initial 9,000 risk wafers are used up. Those were paid for in advance, so there is little harm to finishing them for a stopgap PR stunt.

Funds are saved up for Femi but if this is true.... it's going to be a bad investment.

well it wasn't totally unexpected. we have known for a while now that Nvidia was trying to do too much the first time. TSMC 28 process better be good.

Still while he has been pretty spot on he DOES paint the worse case possible. it should be taken with a grain of salt

i can care less what's costing them to make one or how hard it is, it aint my problem.

Fermi will be out regardless what these articles are saying that are paid by amd.

Maybe he has been more hit than miss lately, but when I saw the title, I knew without looking this was going to link to Charlie. I don't know enough about the industry to believe or disbelieve him but I know that he is always going to be negative about nVidia no matter what they do so he isn't an objective news source.

Maybe he has been more hit than miss lately, but when I saw the title, I knew without looking this was going to link to Charlie. I don't know enough about the industry to believe or disbelieve him but I know that he is always going to be negative about nVidia no matter what they do so he isn't an objective news source.

how you think he makes money? lol

he can change sides in a heartbeat, he's not a fanboy of amd or nvidia, he needs them site hits and some money on the side to diss the weaker ones when they have problems with some things.

these cards already exist and they work with games, go on youtube and see it in action, lmao

some of you people need to take them tinfoil hats off.

wtf is hot clock and half hot clock? Shader and core? vice versa?

What would happen if NVidia decided to pull a Larrabee and decided to completely scrap this generation and focus on getting everything right for the next generation? They'd have another 2, 3 development teams working on future GPUs anyway, so transferring this generation's team to the next generation to make sure that it works like a charm seems to me to be a decent idea. They'd keep losing money until that chip came out in maybe 12 months time, but at this point in time they're losing money and looking like a laughingstock.

Wow, we're still paying attention to this guy's crap I see
Ad hominem arguments fail.

article said:
Last spring and summer, ATI was not shy about telling people that the lessons learned from the RV740 were fed back into the Evergreen 5000 series chips, and it was a very productive learning experience. One of the deep, dark secrets was that there were via (interconnects between the metal layers on the chip) problems. The other was that the TSMC 40nm transistors were quite variable in transistor construction, specifically in the channel length.
I remember seeing this in the Anandtech RV870 article as well, but I don't recall ever seeing any news or articles on this released by AMD or any review site. Anyone got a link?

these cards already exist and they work with games, go on youtube and see it in action, lmao

some of you people need to take them tinfoil hats off.

Yes, test cards exist, but that doesnt make them stable or ready for the public.

/facepalm

Right or wrong even you amd fan boys know Charlie always paints nvidia in the worst possible light. Does anyone really think this guy doesn't have a {H} on for nvidia? I mean are you serious? How can anyone really give him credit even when he happens to be right knowing how one sided he is against nvidia. Come on, its retarded.

I'm starting to think Charlie is being fed at least some of his info from reliable sources. I just wish nvidia had accepted stagnation instead of going psycho with the rebadging. It's giving me a big goddamn headache to see all these laptops coming out with mobile nvidia chips and no one can even tell you conclusively what the f**** specs are.

i can care less what's costing them to make one or how hard it is, it aint my problem.

Fermi will be out regardless what these articles are saying that are paid by amd.

Yes, test cards exist, but that doesnt make them stable or ready for the public.

/facepalm

Right or wrong even you amd fan boys know Charlie always paints nvidia in the worst possible light. Does anyone really think this guy doesn't have a {H} on for nvidia? I mean are you serious? How can anyone really give him credit even when he happens to be right knowing how one sided he is against nvidia. Come on, its retarded.

Ya but what gets me is i dont ever see people apologizing or coming back when they are right on what they said that everyone doubted them on.... I think that is because those people are more [H] for what hey want, like saying AMD paid the person to make the article, :rolleyes:

You would think if they were able to manufacture Fermi we would have it in our hands right now. I'm guessing there either isn't going to be a release in March or it's going to be a straight paper launch and I don't mean an ATI paper launch where they can't keep up with demand I mean cards for reviewers only. With ATI stepping up their drivers with 10.2 and 10.3 nvidia has even more to fear from ATI now.

Ya but what gets me is i dont ever see people apologizing or coming back when they are right on what they said that everyone doubted them on.... I think that is because those people are more [H] for what hey want, like saying AMD paid the person to make the article, :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I've tried to read this statement like 5 times. You lost me, what are you saying exactly?

You would think if they were able to manufacture Fermi we would have it in our hands right now. I'm guessing there either isn't going to be a release in March or it's going to be a straight paper launch and I don't mean an ATI paper launch where they can't keep up with demand I mean cards for reviewers only. With ATI stepping up their drivers with 10.2 and 10.3 nvidia has even more to fear from ATI now.

Agreed with what little they've had to leak, not even promotional material, I just can't see anything coming out in march.

I know Kyle won't get a review sample. That shit's just dangerous. :D

Probably purchase a flowery preview from Tom's. I actually do read Tom's. They add some image quality perspectives I don't see as much of on [H]. [H] seems to focus on Reproducible numbers and math data. That said. Tom's do seem to jump all over anything new Nvidia wise.

He's saying that all of semiaccurate's detractors on the forums continue to bring out those same tired old lines like "take him with a grain of salt" or "his information is bought and paid for by AMD" or "he has a hardon for nvidia hate". Each time he prints something that's turned out to be correct (90% of the time lately with regards to fermi) those people never admit that they were completely wrong about not believing him.

i am really waiting for fermis launch then we are going to clearly see who was right and who was wrong

He's saying that all of semiaccurate's detractors on the forums continue to bring out those same tired old lines like "take him with a grain of salt" or "his information is bought and paid for by AMD" or "he has a hardon for nvidia hate". Each time he prints something that's turned out to be correct (90% of the time lately with regards to fermi) those people never admit that they were completely wrong about not believing him.

Same could definitely be said of [H] forum goers.

Man I'm glad I didn't wait for Fermi.

Usualy I might dismiss a lot of this as rubbish, but after reading the AMD article over at anand the other day which went into some depth about the 40nm process problems that AMD had to overcome to get their parts out by actually doing their homework it actually seems this could be true.

We all see Nvidias strengths everytime they beat down AMD with faster parts and that has happened maybe more often than not but lets not forget that Nvidia have also epicfailed.jpg in the past as well, with the FX series they got completely ruined by ATI.

The power limits of the PCI-E2.0 spec continue to interest me, the 5970 sails way past this limit and was required to be underclocked quite significantly to stay below 300W, which means we have a hard limit on graphics processing power until this is revised. If part of solving the problem is throwing more power at the card then nvidias hard limit on performance could be lower than ATIs.

We could end up in some kind of guerrilla warfare deal where all cards stock values are approximately the same power and it's just a case of what can be overvolted and overclocked out of the card, that's basically what the 5970 is already, it ships with 725/1000 clock speeds but with voltage bumps can hit the same kind of speeds as an overclocked 5870 1000/1300 and above, it was more or less marketed as an overclocking card.

Actually that might be what blew up my Antec 850W last weekend...ahem...yeah ¬_¬

Last edited:
It doesn't much matter at this point how well Fermi performs. It's a failure in public opinion. It doesn't matter if it meets performance expectations, revolutionizes GPU (or GPGPU) architecture, or helps prop up DX11 (not saying it necessarily will do any/all of those things, just making a point). After so long a gestation period, Fermi can't simply be a good part, it has to blow peoples' minds, otherwise it will be a failure. It's sad, really, because it may be a solid performer.

I'm sorry I've tried to read this statement like 5 times. You lost me, what are you saying exactly?

Everyone puts down charlie, cant be trusted, never tells the truth, same with various other sites / people out there.

Then when what they said, turns out to be true, those same peope who doubted them, you dont hear from them again?, until the next time it is their turn to bash charlie or said person again and claim they are wrong, they are a fanboi, what ever, cant be trusted.

I just gets annoying hearing the same old "cant be trusted it is X" line over and over even when said sources have been right more often then they get credit for.

You should be. His articles on this subject have been proven 'mostly' accurate over the last year.

I remember when he first created that piece back last March about the problem NVIDIA was having and how late the cards were going to be. That thread got about 25 pages of fan boys laughing at him and saying he had no credibility...and you guessed it, I don't see any Fermi's around yet.

I feel like a broken record, his news has been found to be false time and time again, then he says a card is delayed that we all knew was going to be delayed due to a lack of information on it and he's somehow a reliable source?

This is his record: lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie lie, correct information that was common sense, lie, lie, etc. You would have to be a complete moron to believe anything this guy says because he was right about 1 thing.

It doesn't much matter at this point how well Fermi performs. It's a failure in public opinion. It doesn't matter if it meets performance expectations, revolutionizes GPU (or GPGPU) architecture, or helps prop up DX11 (not saying it necessarily will do any/all of those things, just making a point). After so long a gestation period, Fermi can't simply be a good part, it has to blow peoples' minds, otherwise it will be a failure. It's sad, really, because it may be a solid performer.

I disagree...all it has to do is be is as good as what ATI has and the Nvidia only people will buy it, just so long as its not priced way to far above the ATI offering.

If its better, then that's a bonus.

Some people are very brand loyal, and if they can get the same or better from their preferred brand, then they will buy it.

The guy is right about the release date (which, if I remember correctly, Kyle predicted this before he did) and all of a sudden he's the golden pillar of unbiased information? Please, this is sensationalist journalism at its finest. The people who blindly follow this guy (90% of what he says about Fermi is correct? Really, show me how any of you who said that came up with this number) are just as bad as the people who say everything he spouts is BS. He takes known facts and spins them to generate more traffic to his site. You don’t need to know much about computer architecture to know that a 3 billion transistor chip is going to run hot, coupled with the fact that TSMC’s 40nm process has long been known to be utter fail up until recently, it’s not hard to predict that Fermi was going to be a tough build. It doesn’t take “unnamed industry insiders” and “anonymous sources” to make these predictions. A little imagination and an internet connection, and boom, you’ve got your very own sensationalist blog.. I mean news website.

BTW, Nvidia has already come out with a response to this fine piece of journalism. Take it for what it's worth (both Charlie and nvidia, for that matter…):

http://twitter.com/Igor_Stanek/status/9243031134

I want to see how he is going to explain his article in March.... looks like biggest lie and mistake of his life

http://twitter.com/Igor_Stanek/status/9242904593

Oh Charlie... that just another hilarious post me: I think with this post Charlie totally destroyed his credibility

I feel like a broken record, his news has been found to be false time and time again, then he says a card is delayed that we all knew was going to be delayed due to a lack of information on it and he's somehow a reliable source?

This is his record: lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie lie, correct information that was common sense, lie, lie, etc. You would have to be a complete moron to believe anything this guy says because he was right about 1 thing.

huh?

he has been correct for last year entirely..

not quite sure what makes you put this record on him?

just because he lies and trolls before, doesn't mean he will still be.

and no, the information he provides are far more accurate than any other source I have find right now, and that is not a common sense at all...

he somehow got a really good source behind him...

no, Carlie said it way before kyle did...

base on his record, I would take the information as ... just information..

nothing is know for sure until final products is out, we can guess... estimate...all we wants..

but the thing is we still have not yet see a single fermi up in action beside demo machine... which is not a reliable thing to look forward to..

Nvidia rapid response damage control unit arrived on the scene quite quickly with clear reasons why Charlie is wrong, correcting his mistakes and explaining to us hardware enthusiasts why we shouldn't worry about his article.

OH WAIT...

I disagree...all it has to do is be is as good as what ATI has and the Nvidia only people will buy it, just so long as its not priced way to far above the ATI offering.

If its better, then that's a bonus.

Some people are very brand loyal, and if they can get the same or better from their preferred brand, then they will buy it.

I'm confused about this so I looked up the original [H] review. The 5850 performs on par if not a little better than a GTX285. its 50-100$ cheaper. This isn't really earth shattering. I mean it's great *cheers*, but all nvidia has to do is do what they normally do and keep working until they have another monster card which will set the bar for the next year or two. I'm totally with them AMD's has really stepped up to the plate with the 58XX series, but I think it's a little fanboyish to think Nvidia is "a broken company about to go under in the face of this massive defeat."

New Nvidia card will come out that'll be the current fastest card and hopefully be competitively priced and the whole scenario will start again.

huh?

he has been correct for last year entirely..

not quite sure what makes you put this record on him?

just because he lies and trolls before, doesn't mean he will still be.

and no, the information he provides are far more accurate than any other source I have find right now, and that is not a common sense at all...

he somehow got a really good source behind him...

What has he been right about other than fermi was being delayed?

I'm confused about this so I looked up the original [H] review. The 5850 performs on par if not a little better than a GTX285. its 50-100$ cheaper. This isn't really earth shattering. I mean it's great *cheers*, but all nvidia has to do is do what they normally do and keep working until they have another monster card which will set the bar for the next year or two. I'm totally with them AMD's has really stepped up to the plate with the 58XX series, but I think it's a little fanboyish to think Nvidia is "a broken company about to go under in the face of this massive defeat."

I'm confused also...did you quote the wrong post? :D

Back