Feedback Please on High End Gaming Build

StRiFeXD

Weaksauce
Hi,

I'd like some feedback on a potential build. This will be the first time I'm putting a computer together. Main use will be for high-end gaming.

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Motherboard
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card
ASUS ENGTX280/HTDP/1G GeForce GTX 280

DVD Drive
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

HDD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Case
COOLER MASTER Centurion 590

Power Supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

RAM
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600)

Operating System
Windows VIsta 32bit

im mainly concerned about any problems with the build such as incompatibilities, or alternatives that are better than what is listed above but is about the same price.

Oh also, my budget is about $1300-1400

[edit] upped power supply to corsair 750W
[edit] changed case to CM 590 as it seems to be roomier than the antec 300
[edit] changed to ASUS DVD drive
[edit] changed HDD to WS 320GB

to answer the monitor question, I will initially be using a 17" but may upgrade that. I am pretty set on the processor and gpu.

Thanks

What's your budget?

Also I'm using Vista right now, and besides a few annoyance (digital driver signing, for instance), it is pretty solid. I got it for free through school, otherwise I probably wouldn't have paid for it. XP is still good.

If you plan to run x64, and of course Vista x64, get 4gb. I didn't see a heatsink either, and the e8400 is easily overclocked. Check out the overclocking and cooling subforum for more info. I personally like the Tuniq Tower 120.

Get a sata DVD and HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135156

Also, check out the Corsair 520HX. It will give your case better wire management than the 550.

Check out these current deals too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

for 4GB ram, you'll want a 64 bit OS, and vista 64 is much more stable than XP 64, so probably go vista 64 bit. Definately go for a bigger HDD, as games are getting bigger and files such as movies are very large if you have lots of them. try to get at least a 320GB, as some of the WD 320's are the single platter design, whereas the older ones (which are slower) are 2 platters. to be sure to get a 320GB platter drive, go with a WD 640GB drive.

what monitor are you going to use? you will probably want to go with a beefier PSU to run even a single GTX 280, and if you are running a 22" monitor or less you will definately not need a 280, go for a 260 or even a 9800GTX for even a 22"er as you realy don't need something that powerful. If you are absolutely set on the 280 and are prepared to pay the premium to get it, or if you have a 24 or 30" monitor you will want at least a HX 620, if not a TX 750 to run your entire system.

do be careful with a antec 300 and a GTX 280, you may not have enough room in the case for the entire card without cutting bits out of the case...

you could also consider the Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler, as it is very quiet...

are there any advantages to using 64bit OS besides being able to use 4gb of RAM? are there any major incompatibilities that may make 32bit preferred over 64bit?

@soundguy

How can i tell if my case will be big enough to house the graphics card? are there any cases that you suggest that are below $70 that will definately house everything I need w/o needing to cut parts out of the case?

Please answer the monitor question that's been asked twice already.

Oh and you'll need about 11" clearance to fit the GTX 280 IIRC.

on the antec site, you will be able to get the dimensions for the case, so check those out for dimensions of the expansion card area, and also check out hte exact dimensions of the card you are getting, aswell as the placement of the external power connectors.

most cards are very similar, but i don't know what the exact dimensions of 300 are, i have to 900 (see sig) but i only have a 7600GS in there at the moment, and that is a tiny fanless version from gigabyte (don't go expecting a fanless GTX 280...) so i don't know how cards like the 9800GTX and the GTX 280 fit in relation to those. i know the 300 is smaller than the 900 (obviously) but i would expect it to be relatively small comparitively.

although i personally don't really like it, the CM 690 is a very good case for the price (my mate has one) or even the rocketfish (rebranded lian li) cases can be ok aswell (don't know whether those'll be under $70 though)

currently I'm just using a 17" monitor but I may upgrade that to a 22", though I am pretty set on the gtx280, hoping that it will last for a very long time

Sorry if this i a really stupid qustion, but I'm having a little trouble determining whether or not the GTX280 will fit in the antec300

antec300 dimensions are 45.8 (H) x 46.5 (D) x 20.5 cm (W)
and the GTX280 is 26.67cm x 9.53cm x 3.81cm

pretty sure the measurements are from the front, so the height refers to the highest point of the case, the depth refers to how deep it is, and this is the measurement you want, and the width refers to how wide the front of the case is.

the problem with it is that the HDD bays in the case may well get in the way of the case, and the power adaptors will probably also get in the way.

the old 8800GTS cards (320 and 640MB) had their power adaptors on the ends facing the case, whereas the 8800GTX and most other cards (9800GX2's etc) have their power ports on the side of the card facing the side panel.

the problem is likely to be the length of the card (the depth of the case), reffering to what i said about the HDD bays being in the way...

you may have to cut into the HDD bays if you are going to fit the card in...

for a 17" monitor, you definately don't need a GTX 280, as it'll be 1280x1024 yes? even for a 22"er you really only need a 9800GTX or similar, but if you are definately set on the 280, go for it...

also, are you in Australia? you seem to be responding to these posts quicker than if you were in the US...

if i needed to cut into the HDD bays to fit the card, would I need to actually modify the case? or would it just make those specific HDD bays unusable?

Also, I am I correct that all ATX power supplies will fit an ATX case?

and yes, I am in the US.

if i needed to cut into the HDD bays to fit the card, would I need to actually modify the case? or would it just make those specific HDD bays unusable?

Also, I am I correct that all ATX power supplies will fit an ATX case?

Cutting into the HDD bays counts as modifying the case. And yes it would make those HDD bays unusable.

And not not all ATX PSUs will fit inside an ATX case. Some ATX PSUs (usually higher wattage models) are longer than regular size ATX PSUs. Some ATX cases can't fit these longer ATX PSUs.

are there any good cheaper cases that can be gauranteed will fit everything (specially larger gpu and psu) no problem?

are there any good cheaper cases that can be gauranteed will fit everything (specially larger gpu and psu) no problem?

This case is a pretty good choice:
Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $60

You can move the HDD bay wherever you need it to fit in a long PSU or video card. FYI though, the Corsair 750TX is not a long PSU. It's regular sized IIRC.

Hit up the case mod gallery subforum to see if anyone has similar parts but in a cheap case.

the CM 590 and 690 will be fine for your needs, and yes, you may actually have to cut into the HDD bays to get the card in, depending on which case you choose. this would make those bays unuseable as the card would be blocking them.

The TX750 is slightly bigger than a regular PSU, but nowhere near as long as the HX1000 (5.9" vs 6.3" vs 7.9")

I'll probably be using only 1 or 2 of the HDD bays, so having the graphics card take up any other of the HDD bay space shouldn't be a problem.

I really appreciate everyone's effort to critique the build :) I've made changes specficially to the case, dvd drive, and power supply. I'll probably stick with a 250GB drive as I dont store that many movies or other large files on my HDD (I usually keep those kinds of things on an external drive so I can transport it around) and every little upgrade to each component seems to be piling up the $$ :(

After the changes, based on the list on the OP, would you say it was ready to go?

As stated earlier, I think you'd get a nice burst of speed with a WD3200AAKS over that 'cuda.10 250GB. In fact, I know you'd get a much faster drive with the WD. My WD does around 90MB/s while my 'cuda.10 250GB does around 72MB/s.

is the extra 18MB/s actually noticeable? but I guess it's only about 10$ difference for more speed AND space

Back