Feedback on various tweaking programs

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
I've grown tired of tweaking each system I format. I spent literally hours today formatting, re-installing, tweaking my mom's PC today. I was desperately looking for simple programs that would do all the tweaking for me within a few clicks. So I stumbled onto some few programs:

Tune XP by Driver Heaven - http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/default.php
X-Setup Pro by Xteq - http://www.x-setup.net/
Autopatcher by Neowin - http://www.autopatcher.com/

Those three are some of the few that I see might be good. X-Setup is not automatic however, it requires my input in which I fear I might screw up on some things. Tune XP fills in most of the tweaks but it's definitely not the end all program. Autopatcher does patching yes, but it also does some registry tweaks as it says on the site.

I'm very unsure on which to absolutely rely on for every system format I do. Anyone here recommend me anything? Anyone with experience? IT professionals who format PC's day in and out should be familiar with my situation.

Thanks. ;)

-J.

I've grown tired of tweaking each system I format.

Then don't. I can guarantee most of the "tweaking" you are doing does nothing to help performance. Can you tell me what sort of things you do when "tweaking?"

Also, I am really against any of those tweaking programs. Why not just make a .reg file of things you may want to change, and then run it when you reformat?

It's not for FPS gain at all. No games.

It is for overall system speed, functionability. Nothing too deep really.

Examples: disabling indexing/reading files (such as .AVI) so it doesn't increase unnecessary lag, disabiling shared folders, boot optimizations, disabling timestamps, and those quick fixes such as disabling messenger, enabling Ultra DMA for hard drives, etc. I would say those are beneficial "tweaks".

I haven't really done much research so I could be simply misinformed here. Shed some light or recommend a link that covers all the beneficial tweaks rather than the pointless ones that I may not be aware of?

Thanks. ;)

-J.

I made a slipstreamed CD using nLite that allowed me to do many of the explorer "tweaks" by default. I'm talking about things like disabling shadows, themes, animation, etc. That takes care of a lot of the stuff I usually do. About the only other things I do is use Tune XP to defrag boot files or whatever for a quicker bootup and use something called StartupCPL to get rid of or disable stuff that's in the startup that I don't want.

disabling indexing/reading files (such as .AVI) so it doesn't increase unnecessary lag

The Indexing Service only runs after an inactivity period, and stops what it's doing when you touch the keyboard or mouse.

KoolDrew said:
Then don't. I can guarantee most of the "tweaking" you are doing does nothing to help performance. Can you tell me what sort of things you do when "tweaking?"

Also, I am really against any of those tweaking programs. Why not just make a .reg file of things you may want to change, and then run it when you reformat?

This man speaks the truth.Only minimal tweaking is really needed,but not nessesary.Over tweaking can probably do more harm then good.

IMHO

But If your really intrested in simplifying your tweaking then find a decent regmonitor that monitors changes to your registry and basicly you can create a simple reg file from your findings. ;)

Back