Feedback on potential build?

CardiaK

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

I've been outta the game for a while; my last real build was in April 2008.

Any help is appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly gaming, but I do graphic work that sometimes spills over to home, so definitely some Photoshop and video editing as well; I'll probably benefit from some extra RAM.

(WoW is my game of choice right now, which isn't too demanding, but I'd like this build to be able to reasonably play some future games like Diablo III and the upcoming Star Wars MMO without more than say a video card upgrade.)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Cheaper is better, but I'm not really constrained; if it made sense, I'd be willing to go up to $1k.

3) Where do you live?
Southwestern Connecticut; there is a Microcenter that just opened in Yonkers, NY. I could make that trip if it was beneficial to the build.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
RAM
Mobo
Video Card
OS/Apps HDD (I'd like to go SSD for this and see what all the fuss is about)
Optical Drive (I need to finally get away from my old IDE DVD drives, I was looking at possibly a blu-ray burner)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case: Antec p180
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W (S75QB) (If this won't cut it for the new build I can buy a new one)
Media HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB 7200rpm (This will be a media drive assuming an SSD for an OS/Apps drive)
Sound: ASUS Xonar 7.1

6) Will you be overclocking?
EZMode O/C only or none at all, if I can squeeze out a little more oomph with a $50 HSF and a tweak, sure, but that's about all I care to do.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1920x1080 will be my native rez.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next couple of months; I'm not in a rush.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I wouldn't mind having Crossfire or SLI support available to me as a possible upgrade path; I don't plan on RAID since afaik you still can't use TRIM with SSDs in RAID.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I'd like to get a 64bit Windows 7 license. I'm still on Vista over here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
CardiaK

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next couple of months; I'm not in a rush.

Can you narrow down when exactly you're planning on building? A build you're planning on doing a month from now will be different from a build list two months from now. Hell a build for a week from now will be different from a build a month ago.

So yeah, narrow it down it please.

Thanks for the quick reply Danny, and sorry about being ambiguous on the time.

I'd like to have this build complete by the middle of October.

way too far in the future to be looking at build at this time. repost at the end of sept

Back