FCC Mistakes Angry Americans for Hacker DDoS Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you are. Where in the contract you didn't read does it say that your ISP is obliged to give you access to the entire Internet? Or that it can't throttle high-bandwidth services unless they pay it?

Stop making crap up.

By knowing the meaning of the word INTERNET in ISP..... There's no other way to interpret that. I pay for a set speed to access networks the ISP doesn't control. What I choose to use that for is none of their concern as far as the product I'm paying for. If they can't handle the load, then they shouldn't have oversubscribed their network and need to expand. Otherwise they aren't providing me the product/service they sold me. But you can keep defending something you obviously don't understand and just revert to the 'ur making up crap' argument.

You don't have to waste time responding, you've joined my list of ignored shills.

^^Bray left, when 2017? Dafuq was Pai doing all this time with the GAO coming down with their own investigation? I'm not saying collusion, I'm saying he must have known and incompetence. And it's also possible Bray will refute Pai's claims. These just came out. Bottom line- I don't believe him one bit. I believe he showed his cards because the GAO's report was coming out and Jessica all but shoved the words in his mouth that he knew. She stopped just short of it.

The FCC's IG investigation was announced in the news Feb 2017.
https://gizmodo.com/ajit-pai-is-reportedly-being-investigated-by-the-fccs-i-1823029745

I have not heard of a GAO investigation, news to me.

David Bray was in the news on Aug 17, 2017 that he would be leaving the FCC, his replacement was Christine Calvosa.
https://www.fedscoop.com/fcc-cio-david-bray-leave-government-wont-take-nga-role/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission#David_A._Bray

This means Bray was still with the FCC during the time that the investigation was apparently underway and was to some degree involved.

Pai claimed he was silent about all of this because of the ongoing investigation. Silence doesn't mean inaction.

I have been looking for more of the report from the FCC's IG but haven't found much, this is their website with some explanations related to investigation;
https://www.fcc.gov/inspector-general/investigations/general/investigative-report#block-menu-block-4

Investigative Document Distribution

OIG reports and documents are made available internally and publicly, subject to the restrictions imposed by the Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

Perhaps someone will likely submit a FOI Request for the report if it is not publicly released. I won't be asking for it myself.

If you believe Pai at all, (and I don't think you do), then Bray was more the subject of the investigation than Pai was, and Bray's replacement and complete departure from Government service is what it is. I wouldn't assume guilt, just a decision to move on and get away from it all. If Pai was a major suspect of wrong doing, well he's no worse for wear it seems. Of course the IG is the FCC's internal investigative service and Pai is the Chairman so ....

Again, looking through the posted documents and reports I see no mention of a GAO Investigation, only an internal FCC Inspector General's investigation.

By knowing the meaning of the word INTERNET in ISP.
All these assumptions about your rights under the contract, but you haven't read it, have you?
I got news for you: whatever they say in the contract will trump your assumption of what "INTERNET in ISP" means.
And I'd take odds there's no guarantee you'll get your "set speed" to everywhere in the Internet, either.

@icpiper Hasn't the FCC ignored the multiple FOI Requests submitted to them by multiple organizations? I thought I read at least 2 entities were trying to get the info and the FCC illegally ignored them.

The FCC's IG investigation was announced in the news Feb 2017.

I have not heard of a GAO investigation, news to me.

Sorry, IG, not GAO. You're correct. But, you're also correct. I don't believe him. As the head of the FCC, I would have been all over what the hell happened. There's no way he didn't.

PSS, If you're going to go out and only quote what's been published, then no, you're not likely to find the smoking gun you're looking for. But I'm not basing my decision on trying to find the gun.

@icpiper Hasn't the FCC ignored the multiple FOI Requests submitted to them by multiple organizations? I thought I read at least 2 entities were trying to get the info and the FCC illegally ignored them.

I would have to go see what I can find. If peeps were asking for information related to an ongoing investigation I can see them either sitting on the request (ignoring them) until the investigation is completed. And, sometimes the government does not have to comply with a FOI request but I don't think this would be one of those cases.

Here is something;
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ting-fraudulent-net-neutrality-comments.shtml
Freelance writer Jason Prechtel filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request on June 4 asking the FCC for data on the bogus comments, the API keys used, and how the FCC has worked to address the problem. But while the FCC acknowledged the FOIA request, it wound up giving Prechtel the runaround throughout the summer -- stating on June 14 that it would be extending the deadline for responding to his request from July 3 to July 18 -- before ultimately deciding to ignore his request altogether.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...mments-at-heart-of-lawsuit-filed-against-fcc/
Prechtel wrote in a blog post describing his court complaint on Friday. "Even now, over three months after my FOIA request, and even after I’ve filed a lawsuit, this request is still listed as 'under agency review.'"
Prechtel's court complaint includes a copy of correspondence between himself and the FCC. The commission notified him on June 14 that it would be extending the deadline for responding to his request from July 3 to July 18.
After the July 18 deadline passed, Prechtel wrote to the FCC to ask when he should expect a response to his FoIA request.
"I never heard from the FCC again," Prechtel wrote.

I would say that this is actually all really easy. The FCC would not release the information because it was directly related to an ongoing investigation. Seems that the investigation was being kept secret, and that when Prechtel decided to sue them, well they just stopped talking to him because why would you give him some more information to use against you in a law suite.

I can't say we will hear much more any time soon, but I would expect the FCC's IG to not release the IG's report because .... you guessed it, the law suite. The law suite will take it's course, the government will win it, Mr. Pretchel is just a victim of having to wait for the system's wheels to turn, and later he will get his FOI request answered and maybe it'll be what he wanted and maybe it won't.

That's how I see this playing out and why.

Sorry, IG, not GAO. You're correct. But, you're also correct. I don't believe him. As the head of the FCC, I would have been all over what the hell happened. There's no way he didn't.

PSS, If you're going to go out and only quote what's been published, then no, you're not likely to find the smoking gun you're looking for. But I'm not basing my decision on trying to find the gun.

Fine, but as long as you are putting yourself in Pai's shoes, what would you do when you found out that Bray lied to you about a DDOS Attack? Would you tell the IG to start an investigation? And when the investigation starts, and you are basically accusing a man of something serious, would you be talking about it and running it through the social media political courts? Or would you let your IG do their jobs and wait on their report so you can take appropriate action without fanning the flames of the political shit storm on this subject?

The smoking gun? my answer for that is right above in the previous post.

aijitground.png

opinions of the normal population doesn't matter so its fine that they ignore all the comments.

How so? Take a look at footage from a Trump rally.
You want people to judge other people by their appearance? Sounds like you're advocating racism.

Both I and my wife enjoy a genetic heritage from widely geographically separated populations with obvious differences in their typical phenotypes, but you'd never know it to look at us unless you're an ethnographer. Which part of my wife am I supposed to be racist about? Which part of me is she?

And we both have 5+ years of college education (about 9 for me) from highly-ranked schools, but again, you wouldn't know it to look at us. We're anything but uneducated.

And we're both Trump supporters.

So, looking at those Trump rally videos .. do you see people like me? Do you see people like my wife?
No, you don't -- you can't . But they are there.

Trumpsters are the biggest "haters" on the damn planet. There's a reason why his biggest supporters are uneducated racists.

"educated" means what exactly? A useless liberal arts degree?

I've never met a technical person in the field, and I've been to a ton of factories, that was not pro-Trump. It's funny, as income goes up so did the Trump votes. Almost like all the freeloaders voted Clinton.... The working class carried Trump. (50-99k especially)

sJQ8xPG.png

Why would our government be set up to handle that? We don't have a Democracy.
A recent Harvard/Northwestern study determined that 90% of the public is invisible to Congress. It looked at what Congress does legislatively and what the public wants its members to do.

They talk enough of the talk to get elected, though. How does the IQ Bell curve fit with this finding? It seems rather skewed...

The Wall Street Journal in 2011 said:
After rising like the Phoenix, the financial industry now accounts for about 30% of all operating profits. That’s an amazing share given that the sector accounts for less than 10% of the value added in the economy.

Does a phoenix rise from bailouts, after gorging itself on bubbles?
Smart dudes like Stalin understood that. That's why they put toadies in charge of major sectors, like agriculture. They didn't need no education. They just caused some nice famine.

Putting cronies in charge of things they don't understand. There's a word for that kind of leadership.

Last edited:
He runs the place, and took no responsibility for it. Hid behind someone else's supposed incompetence, and cluelessly highlights his own incompetence in running the place.

This. It doesn't even matter if its true, Pai didn't set the record straight. He didn't say "I didn't recognize it for it what it was, and that's my mistake." He said, "I just got here, it's not my fault."

"Oh shit look at all those negative comments to something that is clearly right and good! It must be a DDOS. No way anyone disagrees with us! " - Ajit the Idiot.

I used to write on news sites until the comments became so toxic even for me right before the 2016 prez. elections basically its a bunch of clones looking for attention and can't understand they are simply internet addicts.

once there were proponents saying ending net neutrality would mean censorship of the internet

after what happened to InfoWars, it clearly shows censorship or not falls willy nilly to the politics of the corporate head honchos whom control pretty much the entire internet.

as the analogy goes, what use is a free and wide highway when you're forced to use the side roads because the corps do not like the car you are driving.

The more I see it, the more I am floored that people actually want to argue that you should pay per service both to your ISP and to the service provider (Netflix, pandora, youtube…) that you use and that larger ISPs should be given more money as their don't have enough profits already.

I've never met a technical person in the field, and I've been to a ton of factories, that was not pro-Trump. It's funny, as income goes up so did the Trump votes. Almost like all the freeloaders voted Clinton.... The working class carried Trump. (50-99k especially)

Not sure where you work in tech, but where I work pretty much EVERYONE is anti-trump, all making well over 100k. The few that are 'pro-trump' are typically completely uninformed about the news/politics, and brush off anything negative about him as fake news, regardless of the source. It's not so much they are pro-trump, but more the typical party before country gop followers. Left has the same problem, but not to the degree of the minions who would let trump shit in their mouth if a liberal had to smell it. And that extreme polarization is the real problem. When each sides goal is to fuck the other side or stop them from accomplishing anything instead of compromising for the better of the country, we all get fucked.

Not sure where you work in tech, but where I work pretty much EVERYONE is anti-trump, all making well over 100k. The few that are 'pro-trump' are typically completely uninformed about the news/politics, and brush off anything negative about him as fake news, regardless of the source. It's not so much they are pro-trump, but more the typical party before country gop followers. Left has the same problem, but not to the degree of the minions who would let trump shit in their mouth if a liberal had to smell it. And that extreme polarization is the real problem. When each sides goal is to fuck the other side or stop them from accomplishing anything instead of compromising for the better of the country, we all get fucked.

Not so fast with the generalizations there. I know quite a few pro Trump people who make over 100k and are VERY well informed about the news. They dont watch fox news but do follow the news closely through a variety of sources and they are all quite well educated. Turns out anyone can have those ideological opinions...

Nothing makes an argument invalid faster than saying "lots of people agree with me".

Always only speak for yourself, it is the only one you truly do speak for, strength in numbers does not make someone right or wrong, just popular or not.

So about that FCC server......

once there were proponents saying ending net neutrality would mean censorship of the internet

after what happened to InfoWars, it clearly shows censorship or not falls willy nilly to the politics of the corporate head honchos whom control pretty much the entire internet.

as the analogy goes, what use is a free and wide highway when you're forced to use the side roads because the corps do not like the car you are driving.

Why don't they get ad revenue and pay for their own servers? They can host mp3 or mp4 files with no censorship. And use the Gab app instead of Twitter.

... after what happened to InfoWars, it clearly shows censorship or not falls willy nilly to the politics of the corporate head honchos whom control pretty much the entire internet.

Sorry, but defense of a criminal in defense of a crime is a straw man. InfoWars fails the most basic tenet of civilization for the last 5,000 years: "Thou shalt not bear false witness." Defamation, calumny, libel and slander are not protected speech. Reporting on these activities is protected speech, but gathering and publishing the libelous statements of others as true statements is not.

opinions of the normal population doesn't matter so its fine that they ignore all the comments.

3 million comments that are all the same comment ........ :rolleyes:

They were copies of the same thing, besides, if I were the boss I'd have my staff read that shit and distill the "unique" comments and present them in a paper for me to read, 50% said this, and 5% recommended that, and 10% said you need a new barber.

And it's not a vote, again, it's for people to make comments and suggestion that may enlighten the FCC to something they hadn't considered, an unforeseen impact, etc. It's not a platform intended for the population to vote and cry "do it my way".

Defamation, calumny, libel and slander are not protected speech.
Actually, under the 1st Amendment, they are protected speech. Protected against censorship by the government that is.

What they are not is without consequences: you can be sued for the damage your speech causes. In some cases, even if that speech is completely true.
Back before the left turned into a bunch of snowflakes, that was all people thought we needed.
Now, the leftists don't want people to hear or read anything they, the leftists, consider "wrong."

On occasion you can get prior restraint (that is, government censorship) of speech, but the bar is pretty high on that. Lives usually have to be at stake, directly as a result of the information being made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back