FBI ‘Grappling’ With Hiring Policy About Smoking Weed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently a lot of eligible candidates for the FBI's cyber-crime division are also big pot heads. :D

Congress has authorized the FBI to add 2,000 personnel to its rolls this year, and many of those new recruits will be assigned to tackle cyber crimes, a growing priority for the agency. And that’s a problem, Mr. Comey told the White Collar Crime Institute, an annual conference held at the New York City Bar Association in Manhattan. A lot of the nation’s top computer programmers and hacking gurus are also fond of marijuana.

Meanwhile, all the recruits will go out after class and take shots at their local cop bar.

I don't fully understand how this came up. Does the FBI do drug screenings randomly? Is the quote below overexageration?
“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Mr. Comey said.
I don't think I would care to hire anyone, no matter how great they were, if they can't even stop smoking for an interview.

It's far past time to end this silliness. There are certainly drugs that are too dangerous for general and recreational use but pot isn't one them. The only reason weed is a gateway is because it's illegal in most places.

I don't fully understand how this came up. Does the FBI do drug screenings randomly? Is the quote below overexageration?

I don't think I would care to hire anyone, no matter how great they were, if they can't even stop smoking for an interview.

I have to agree..Pot Should be legal yes..but if someone came into an interview with me smelling of alcohol, I'm not hiring. If you can't "abstain" for a few hours to prepare to give a professional interview..then F off.

It's far past time to end this silliness. There are certainly drugs that are too dangerous for general and recreational use but pot isn't one them. The only reason weed is a gateway is because it's illegal in most places.

That's not what this is about really. It's that these creative personnel don't bother abstaining from their recreational use prior to an interview. Would you drunk a beer or do a shot before going in front of your next possible employer would you?

After work, go out to a restaurant and enjoy a beer with your coworkers... upstanding citizen with well developed social skills.

Replace the beer with a doobie though, and you belong in the slammer!

Retard logic.

That's not what this is about really. It's that these creative personnel don't bother abstaining from their recreational use prior to an interview. Would you drunk a beer or do a shot before going in front of your next possible employer would you?
*rolleyes*

They are detecting marijuana use in your hair follicles as much as three months past when you smoked.

Who the hell would be able to get a job if they could detect you had a beer back in February of this year?

If someone comes to the interview high as a kite with stinky clothes that's one thing, but I can assure you the problem is that they are using testing methods that detect trace levels of marijuana week and weeks after the mild effects are felt from its consumption.

*rolleyes*

They are detecting marijuana use in your hair follicles as much as three months past when you smoked.

Who the hell would be able to get a job if they could detect you had a beer back in February of this year?

If someone comes to the interview high as a kite with stinky clothes that's one thing, but I can assure you the problem is that they are using testing methods that detect trace levels of marijuana week and weeks after the mild effects are felt from its consumption.

It's a government agency, doing something illegal that is easily traceable is stupid. If you can't live without drugs, don't try to get a job with a company that tests for it. Simple as that. If it becomes legal that changes, but for now it is still illegal.

It's a government agency, doing something illegal that is easily traceable is stupid. If you can't live without drugs, don't try to get a job with a company that tests for it. Simple as that. If it becomes legal that changes, but for now it is still illegal.

With all the state campaigns for legalization it's going to get interesting... Is the FBI going to make an exception if you live in one of those states? Prohibit applications from those states? I look forward to seeing how this unfolds over the next decade or so...

With all the state campaigns for legalization it's going to get interesting... Is the FBI going to make an exception if you live in one of those states? Prohibit applications from those states? I look forward to seeing how this unfolds over the next decade or so...

Considering it's the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Marijuana is illegal on a Federal level, I would say no.

My work is in Washington and they flat out said that they'll fire someone who tests positive for weed. I predict lots of upcoming entertainment.

*rolleyes*

I think what you are saying makes more sense, and that quote i quoted above is probably over exagerated.

Please , everyone get over this "gate way" drug nonsense. Let them smoke fucking weed , just not at work. Who cares anymore? Weed is safer than alcohol and frankly if it helps them work the FBI should bend over backwards and do whatever it takes to do their jobs and keep us safe.

I had hoped that everyone here would have realized his quote was an extremely embellished one, but sadly no.

I think a lot of you are failing to realize that the real problem here. The FBI has an extremely limited candidate pool to choose from. It's not like they can just go an poach talent from the likes of Google or Facebook. The FBI doesn't pay enough and most of these kids know that the whole "protecting the nation" stuff is just a bunch of bullshit and that they will be more likely assigned to spy on American citizens that the FBI has a beef with. Why the FBI is even tasked with investigating cyber crime from foreign countries still baffles me. For fucks sake the FBI about every 6 weeks plans a staged "terrorist" attack to keep their budget over inflated. Have you ever wondered why they seem to stop the "terrorists" that have the dumbest and extremely half baked plans. Yea that's usually because the people the FBI caught were goaded into doing what ever they got busted for by undercover FBI agents. The whole system is corrupt as hell and this will only be more corruption with less results than the private sector could provide. Unfortunately we need the government to do certain things. We would be much better off if we could elect companies every couple of years to do the task of running the government. If it was just one election of competing companies we wouldn't have a massive debt, we wouldn't have as much corruption, and things would be done at a much faster rate.

Please , everyone get over this "gate way" drug nonsense. Let them smoke fucking weed , just not at work. Who cares anymore? Weed is safer than alcohol and frankly if it helps them work the FBI should bend over backwards and do whatever it takes to do their jobs and keep us safe.
Its not nonsense, and it IS a gateway drug.

Its a gateway drug, because it puts regular people in contact with drug dealers, which tend to be slimeballs. They go to the drug dealer to get some harmless weed, but then the drug dealer offers them something else for free as a sampler, preferably something highly addictive. Customer comes back for weed, gets a little nudge and soon enough he or she has graduated to a hard drug.

If marijuana were illegal, a huge number of drug dealers would be out of business, and a link from marijuana to hard drugs would be severed.

That's the problem, the public by and large is as much against the marijuana prohibition as people were against the alcohol prohibition, but its really not one of those things that is up to a popular vote and the government invests a ton in FUD campaigns marketed towards impressionable first time mothers (same as they did with the alcohol prohibition).

If premarital sex were illegal, and they could test you for it 4 months after (at least if it was with a black guy... jk!), sure you can LIVE without it but why would something so stupid be "weeding out" (pun intended) good qualified candidates from employment? The problem here isn't the applicants, its the application process and the law.

This is the government, so if the problem is the law, change the law. Its not rocket science.

I could! I don't think drinking is at all a good idea and people who do generally fall into stereotypical groups of troublemakers. They still would be even if they were sober, but people who are problems to society and who also drink (or mix depressants with energy drinks over the course of any given day) should probably be stopped from being hired into positions that are responsible for the safety of other people.

I just don't get why they just don't legalize it at the government level just so they can tax it. With medical marijuana being legalized all over the place. In CT where I live under a half ounce is just a ticket. This is actually great for the consumer of weed, no taxes, and speculating your not smoking a pound a day like Snoop Dogg. You will likely never run in to any problems. Most smart stoners and I know a few, just have a quick smoke when home from work in their own homes, eat munchies and turn on the TV. At this point wouldn't it just make sense to legalize it for recreational use and at least make some money from it.

"God damn hippies running my government....!!!!!" *shaking a stick at little kids on my grass.*

FBI has a background check that IIRC involves questioning people you know (it's been a while since I checked into it, and I might be confusing that part with security clearance checks) and a lie detector interview. They ask you about drug use. IIRC their threshold for innocent experimentation they will ignore is two uses. IT is increasingly disqualifying people. This is not the first time it has come up.

Headline should read, "FBI grappling unsuccessfully with reality"

I dunno, there's still a huge negative stigma associated with using narcotic substances. I think a lot of that is rooted in known history because of the link between those substances and both petty criminal activity and domestic violence and big organized crime. People who have the potential to be attracted to those kinds of substances also exhibit a lot of potential to be criminals and just generally less efficient workers. Smokers constantly going out to smoke instead of working can be a really good, legal-but-still-bad-for-you example of the difference between productive "clean" people and less productive people who have a tendency to be duped into getting hooked on something (well anything really, even alcohol or other legal yucky stuff).

Unless you are a recovering addict if you don't have a drink every once in a while I am going to assume you live in a basement with anime pictures on your wall and a pile of laundry that completely covers the floor.

Unless you are a recovering addict if you don't have a drink every once in a while I am going to assume you live in a basement with anime pictures on your wall and a pile of laundry that completely covers the floor.

Have you ever worked 100 hours a week?

weed is going to get legalized, its only a matter of time and it will happen in the next 1-3 years, there are more harder and deathly drugs then weed out there, and alcohol does more damage to people then weed does, weather you wanna believe it or not.

legalizing weed would give the state's and federal government alot of money because they can tax it, like alcohol and cigarettes.

alot of state's spend millions and billions of dollars just to keep people locked up for having maybe a joint or maybe just a gram of weed on them, when they could lock up more serious offenders like heroin or crack dealers?

you can take shots at what i just said all day, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to money and more money, they want that money,

weed will be legalized because of money and tax's, its simple math, money wins

weed is going to get legalized, its only a matter of time and it will happen in the next 1-3 years, there are more harder and deathly drugs then weed out there, and alcohol does more damage to people then weed does, weather you wanna believe it or not.

legalizing weed would give the state's and federal government alot of money because they can tax it, like alcohol and cigarettes.

alot of state's spend millions and billions of dollars just to keep people locked up for having maybe a joint or maybe just a gram of weed on them, when they could lock up more serious offenders like heroin or crack dealers?

you can take shots at what i just said all day, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to money and more money, they want that money,

weed will be legalized because of money and tax's, its simple math, money wins

Yes and no.

LEO and the prison complex have very powerful lobbies that will fight to the death to keep weed illegal and minimum sentences high.

Will it happen? Yes, as soon as you think? No.

Back