FBI ‘Grappling’ With Hiring Policy About Smoking Weed

weed is going to get legalized, its only a matter of time and it will happen in the next 1-3 years, there are more harder and deathly drugs then weed out there, and alcohol does more damage to people then weed does, weather you wanna believe it or not.
Yup! Alcohol is known to cause slurred speech, run-on sentences, and misuse of vocabulary that even browser spell checkers can't correct.

It's a government agency, doing something illegal that is easily traceable is stupid. If you can't live without drugs, don't try to get a job with a company that tests for it. Simple as that. If it becomes legal that changes, but for now it is still illegal.

If I was hiring, and I knew an applicant regularly smoked pot (not just one time 3 months ago), or drank heavily, then I wouldn't hire them. If they smelled like cigarettes I probably wouldn’t hire them either.

My work is in Washington and they flat out said that they'll fire someone who tests positive for weed. I predict lots of upcoming entertainment.

Which is up to the employers discretion. It's still illegal federally, so the FBI can not hire those that get high.

Right now, the country is in a transition phase. More and more states will legalize pot, and the courts and employers will need to find some middle ground for where to draw the line. Is there a limit, or zero tolerance? I'm sure that it wouldn't be tolerated at work, same as with drinking. But, testing positive for it after using it after work? That's where it's going to get interesting over the next few years.

I work in Washington and the first question people asked was what the new drug testing policies would be once it was legalized. Answer - same as it was before. No tolerance. Give it a few years, though, and I expect the stance to change a little bit. Not a lot, but it will allow for some leeway.

Who cares anymore? Weed is safer than alcohol

No.
Have you seen the test that have been done on "weed" in Colorado?
All the pesticide, mold and other stuff in the “weed”. If this was any other product the sellers would be shut down and be charged with selling a product not fit for human consumption.

The long term effects of smoking a few a week is much worse than having a few beers a week. The only reason alcohol could be considered more dangerous is due to people excessively drinking. Anyone who abused weed as much as some people drink would likely end up dead.

No.
The long term effects of smoking a few a week is much worse than having a few beers a week. The only reason alcohol could be considered more dangerous is due to people excessively drinking. Anyone who abused weed as much as some people drink would likely end up dead.

Source?

Unless you are a recovering addict if you don't have a drink every once in a while I am going to assume you live in a basement with anime pictures on your wall and a pile of laundry that completely covers the floor.

Can't remember the last time I had a drink. Think it was champain at a wedding many years ago.

Besides, I don't have a basement, and it's none of your business how often my wife does the laundry :)

Ditto, going to call BS. Numerous studies have shown that its virtually impossible to OD on weed.

There was one totally stupid government sponsored study done, in which it was shown that the government let the "researcher" know what result they wanted from him in advance. The guy took monkeys and even though paid for two years of trials, combined two years of smoking into a matter of weeks.

The monkeys suffered brain damage, and the government was elated, as that is EXACTLY the results they wanted.

Problem was, the brain damage had nothing to do with marijuana. The trial was so idiotic with such high smoke concentrations that the monkeys suffered from prolonged lack of oxygen, which is what killed them. Any type of displacement of that much air, be it helium or carbon dioxide or any type of smoke would have caused the same brain damage, and so the entire test was BS.

You must have missed the studies last year showing permanent changes in the brains for young people who smoke pot. The younger they start the more significant the changes. Anyone under their mid 20’s who smokes pot is lowering any future potential they have.

Its not nonsense, and it IS a gateway drug.

Its a gateway drug, because it puts regular people in contact with drug dealers, which tend to be slimeballs. They go to the drug dealer to get some harmless weed, but then the drug dealer offers them something else for free as a sampler, preferably something highly addictive. Customer comes back for weed, gets a little nudge and soon enough he or she has graduated to a hard drug.
Do you have any actual studies or proof that this actually occurs or is this purely your own conjecture? Because in my experience this has never happened. Pretty much every study done has shown that alcohol is a better indicator of hard drug use than marijuana.

You must have missed the studies last year showing permanent changes in the brains for young people who smoke pot. The younger they start the more significant the changes. Anyone under their mid 20’s who smokes pot is lowering any future potential they have.
Your last sentence is completely unfounded. Yes, the studies showed that there were potential brain changes in individuals who smoked prior to ~24-25, but

A) The study didn't make any conclusions on the long term impact of said changes
B) The study didn't investigate whether other commonly used substances like alcohol also impact the developing brain

I don't fully understand how this came up. Does the FBI do drug screenings randomly? Is the quote below overexageration?

I don't think I would care to hire anyone, no matter how great they were, if they can't even stop smoking for an interview.
It's hyperbole dude. The point is that a lot of very highly intelligent people, particularly in the IT field, smoke pot. I've worked for software companies based in the Bay Area and Boston for a number of years, recreational marijuana use is very common.

Really? I would like to see the actual source for that conclusion as well.

Also, the point you stated as fact was that weed is worse than drinking. I do not know of any study to date to show any of that information. I'm just trying to understand if there is actual scientific data that is accepted and does not come from someones upbringing, imagination or Fox news.

No.
All the pesticide, mold and other stuff in the “weed”. If this was any other product the sellers would be shut down and be charged with selling a product not fit for human consumption.

You're done.

I'm sure it wouldn't matter to most pot heads.

2 people have died in Colorado (that we know of) from a reaction to edible pot.
I constantly read stories about kids ending up in the hospital because they ate something containing pot.

The main reason states are legalizing pot, is that they see it as a new source of tax dollars.
They think they can make more money taxing pot users instead of arresting and seizing the personal property of the sellers.

I'd say don't legalize it, just decriminalize it (for small quantities) and combine it with drug & alcohol testing for people on welfare, etc. If you want to do drugs or spend your life in a drunken stupor, I dont care, go ahead, just don’t expect me to pay for your lifestyle choice.

It's hyperbole dude. The point is that a lot of very highly intelligent people, particularly in the IT field, smoke pot. I've worked for software companies based in the Bay Area and Boston for a number of years, recreational marijuana use is very common.
Yup, although to clarify is recreational. Few potheads are successful at anything, the same as alcoholics tend to be losers. But having a beer with your steak while grilling on saturday or doobin while watching a movie once a month isn't going to have any negative impacts, and if anything being able to chill out and unwind now and then can allow a person to work that much harder during the week.

My only real concern with marijuana is when people smoke it rolled without a filter, that's a crapton of tar and unlike cigars you inhale deeply. Not good for your lungs.

Yup, although to clarify is recreational. Few potheads are successful at anything, the same as alcoholics tend to be losers. But having a beer with your steak while grilling on saturday or doobin while watching a movie once a month isn't going to have any negative impacts, and if anything being able to chill out and unwind now and then can allow a person to work that much harder during the week.

My only real concern with marijuana is when people smoke it rolled without a filter, that's a crapton of tar and unlike cigars you inhale deeply. Not good for your lungs.

You have to define potheads. I know lots of people who smoke weed on a regular basis who are very successful, and plenty of others who smoke a couple of times a week as well who are successful. I also know many people who smoke before, during, and after work who are successful. On the other end, I know people who overdo it, and never amounted to much. I think it's much more dependant on the person, rather than the drug having as much of an effect. This is all on my personal experience though, and may not reflect what others have experienced.

Vaporizers solve those problems :cool:

You must have missed the studies last year showing permanent changes in the brains for young people who smoke pot.

Few, if any, legalization advocates are advocating for kids to be able to smoke weed.

Nice try with the BS argument, though, even though it's a golden oldie.

Oh look! You're not interested in real debate! :rolleyes:

I dunno...its only personal experience, but the people I've seen who are willing to use that stuff just don't care at all about much of anything when they're brain chemicals are all messed up from it. It's sort of scary to watch.

I dunno...its only personal experience, but the people I've seen who are willing to use that stuff just don't care at all about much of anything when they're brain chemicals are all messed up from it. It's sort of scary to watch.

I call bullshit. It all depends on the individual. I personally have smoked for more than 20 years and have 5 kids, a successful marriage and a successful career. No person I know that just smokes weed as a recreational purpose has any issues. I know many people who are useless to society and smoke it, but it has nothing to do with weed. These people would be useless no matter what. On the other hand I know very successful people who have ruined their lives, family, job, and relationships, with alcohol problems. Most people who spout garbage like this know absolutely nothing about weed. They only associate weed with the losers they know who smoke it.

PS. I am friends with a Judge here in my home State and he smokes regularly after work and has for many years. Myths and bullshit is all this is.

2 people have died in Colorado (that we know of) from a reaction to edible pot.
I constantly read stories about kids ending up in the hospital because they ate something containing pot.
To clarify the two deaths
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/18/denver-death-marijuana-edibles/7887025/
Last month, a 19-year-old student fell to his death from a hotel balcony after eating six servings of a pot cookie.

"Six Servings" was actually just one cookie. Apparently the guy become erratic, then jumped off the balcony. Cause of death = Hitting concrete.

Police say suspected shooter Richard Kirk was also on medication for back pain in that case, so pot may not have been the only thing in his blood.

Sources told 9NEWS Kris Kirk was on the phone with 911 for approximately 12 minutes before her husband Richard allegedly shot her in the head while she was still on the line.

Just like every other drug in existence, there are rare cases of people who have adverse reactions. Most people become calm / happy from THC, some people become schizophrenic. The first case was clearly an adverse reaction, or, the guy didn't know how to handle being high (?), the second case there was clearly a lot more going on than just the thc candy he had.

Smokers constantly going out to smoke instead of working can be a really good, legal-but-still-bad-for-you example of the difference between productive "clean" people and less productive people who have a tendency to be duped into getting hooked on something (well anything really, even alcohol or other legal yucky stuff).
Depends on the kind of work, but in a lot of cases taking a break after about 45 minutes of straight work actually makes you work better. It prevents fatigue and lets your brain work on what you've been feeding it.

No.
Are you sure? How are cigarettes sold then?
You really need to offer up your source or stop spouting this nonsense.

Your last sentence is completely unfounded. Yes, the studies showed that there were potential brain changes in individuals who smoked prior to ~24-25, but

A) The study didn't make any conclusions on the long term impact of said changes
B) The study didn't investigate whether other commonly used substances like alcohol also impact the developing brain

Exactly. What about all the other drugs we put kids on? I'll bet Adderall and Ritalin cause changes in a developing brain too.

I try not to talk about it publicly because of the legal status but I regularly smoke marijuana and have for years. I am 2 credits away from a masters degree, have been gainfully employed since 22 and make well above the average income in my state, have a stable relationship, own my home, etc. The idea that people who smoke pot become "stoners" is simply a myth based on the common stereotype of pot heads. The reality is that most of the people who fit the stereotype would be losers regardless of their substance abuse, and that you probably know plenty of successful, well-adjusted individuals who smoke and you don't know it, because it's just not obvious. Many of my highly successful friends smoke pot from time to time, some smoke it regularly. And I know many, many people in the software and IT world who smoke.

The concerns over marijuana are way overstated. Keeping marijuana illegal and forcing it into an underground black market has caused far more harm than the smoking it ever has.

I call bullshit. It all depends on the individual. I personally have smoked for more than 20 years and have 5 kids, a successful marriage and a successful career. No person I know that just smokes weed as a recreational purpose has any issues. I know many people who are useless to society and smoke it, but it has nothing to do with weed. These people would be useless no matter what. On the other hand I know very successful people who have ruined their lives, family, job, and relationships, with alcohol problems. Most people who spout garbage like this know absolutely nothing about weed. They only associate weed with the losers they know who smoke it.

PS. I am friends with a Judge here in my home State and he smokes regularly after work and has for many years. Myths and bullshit is all this is.

FIVE KIDS and everything is okay? :eek: OMG!

Full disclosure: I've never smoked pot and regardless of any future change in the legal status, I don't plan to ever try it. I'm just not interested. Still, I think it's important to look at the issue rationally. I have not seen any compelling evidence to date that pot is particularly harmful if it is not adulterated with other substances. THC has no established lethal level and I know of no documented cases of THC overdose from smoking weed. That said, as with any psychoactive substance it can't be said to be "safe". But it's certainly as safe or safer than many common substances that many people take every day, like alcohol and caffeine.

So it makes no sense to outlaw it. Indeed many of the dangers of pot are caused by it's illegal status. If it were legal, then it would be subject to regulation and quality control. This would make it much more difficult for underage people to get it, unlike the situation now where it's widely available; drug dealers have no problems selling to kids. Of course, there's the tax revenue as well.

On a personal note, I have a friend that uses it to help alleviate his ADD symptoms. He is under a doctor's care and uses a prescription drug as well (although it took a long time to find the right one and the correct dosage - that's a nightmare story for a different time), but pot provides relief from sensory overload that no other dug does. His doctor knows about his use and while he doesn't recommend it (for legal reasons), he has told my friend that he understands his reasons and looks the other way.

I've noticed that people with this affliction (ADD) or variants of it, are commonly attracted to engineering disciplines, especially software and/or ITT type work. So it's no surprise to me that many in these industries use pot. They are self medicating, and who can blame them when nothing else works. Rather than criminalizing a large part of our productive work force, let's take a longer view on the issue and stop with all the misinformation and emotional appeals. Let's look at this with a rational, fair, and honest point of view and then make an informed decision.

Creepy,
Oh, so if you have 5 kids, there's something wrong with you? Grow up. And until you do, keep your childish opinions to yourself.

I'm not sure about your lifestyle or work, but there are probably more people that use it and you don't know it. The only people that I have seen affected physically and mentally outside of direct use are the people that use it all day every day. And you could easily say that about anyone who uses any type of drug in that manner, alcohol, prescription meds, cigarettes, etc. The thing I dislike about our current society is how people will bash on one drug while actively using another equally as bad drug. Like the people who sit at the bar every single day or the people that use so much vicodin that they can't walk to get their own mail. Everything in moderation brothers.

Exactly. This is 100% true. That's why the FBI is recruiting these slacker numbskulls. They give zero fucks and a real shitty work ethic. FBI doesn't know what they are doing.... :rolleyes:

When high, you really don't want to do shit. But, after you sober up, you're just the regular ol' person. Kinda like alcohol.

Exactly. This is 100% true. That's why the FBI is recruiting these slacker numbskulls. They give zero fucks and a real shitty work ethic. FBI doesn't know what they are doing.... :rolleyes:

When high, you really don't want to do shit. But, after you sober up, you're just the regular ol' person. Kinda like alcohol.

Source for your 100% true fact about how it messes up people outside of actual use of the drug. If you are speaking about while people are on it, then you could say that about most drugs when not used in moderation or with common sense.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...-abnormalities-study-finds/?intcmp=latestnews

Pot use is associated with other risky behaviors. Risky behaviors can be exploited.

I say keep the ban in place.
Intelligence is also correlated with increased drug use and sexual promiscuity, because intelligent people tend to be more open-minded and willing to take risks. This shouldn't surprise you, and for people working in an office setting on cyber crime I don't see why pot use matters.

There are two different strains of marijuana, indica and sativa. Sativa tends to make you feel creative, whereas indica is the kind that puts you on the couch acting lazy. Not everyone is a sloth when they're high. I've figured out the answers to some issues at work that were stumping me for a while when I was stoned (I guess I should make sure to point out that I work @ home and I was working after hours, I wasn't high on the job).

There are two different strains of marijuana, indica and sativa. Sativa tends to make you feel creative, whereas indica is the kind that puts you on the couch acting lazy. Not everyone is a sloth when they're high. I've figured out the answers to some issues at work that were stumping me for a while when I was stoned (I guess I should make sure to point out that I work @ home and I was working after hours, I wasn't high on the job).

This has also happened to me on numerous occasions. Got stumped at work, later that evening while high the solution just pops into my head.

I don't live in Cali for a reason.

Nothing personal weed heads, but I wouldn't hire ya.

Stats are working against you. The very same stats that say you are more likely to cause an accident, work while under the influence, more likely to take more sick time off, more likely to be involved in other illegal activities, more likely to get into regular trouble at work.

Being a pot head is nothing to be proud of. It says you can't deal with the real world.

Back