FBI Fingerprint-Analysis Software may be Compromised by Russian Code

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Whistleblowers say software that the FBI uses to analyze fingerprints contains code from a Kremlin-connected firm. Supposedly, the code made it's way into the software because a French company obtained it for their own sofware and then hid this fact from the FBI. Whether or not this is going to somehow make the FBI version vulnerable to hacking isn't known. However, this needs to be fully investigated and a determination made as to the security status of the software. It wouldn't be a good thing for hackers to get all of the biometric data that's sitting on FBI systems.

Cybersecurity experts said the danger of using the Russian-made code couldn’t be assessed without examining the code itself. But “the fact that there were connections to the FSB would make me nervous to use this software,” said Tim Evans, who worked as director of operational policy for the National Security Agency’s elite cyberintelligence unit known as Tailored Access Operations and now helps run the cybersecurity firm Adlumin.

It wouldn't be a good thing for hackers to get all of the biometric data

why not?? they already have all my credit info from the main credit reporting agencies, probably have a more detailed list of my CC usage history then i do, might have my tax history from the IRS, and most certainly know that yesterday i spent a few moments looking up this one particularly hot cosplay girl

but holy shit.. if they get my biometric data, of which they probably also have my face scan from all the cameras that exist in any metro area, its my fingerprints that will be my undoing....

I have stopped listening to all these security scare stories for one simple fact, and that is it appears the only people who give a shit anymore are the ones writing these scare stories.

hell even the hackers have better access to movies and games then us upstanding citizens, disgusting

Soooo the FBI investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election will have to investigate the FBI? Un-Holy Recursion, Batman!

A fool and their biometrics, are soon parted.

If you aren't taking your biometrics and security of that seriously, you aren't taking your personal safety seriously either.

Once that shit gets out, it can be used against you, weaponized. And you will never, ever, be able to get that back.

A fool and their biometrics, are soon parted.

If you aren't taking your biometrics and security of that seriously, you aren't taking your personal safety seriously either.

Once that shit gets out, it can be used against you, weaponized. And you will never, ever, be able to get that back.

To bad everything else is already compromised, so this is really a moot point.

false equivalencies aside, Russia is evil, and they are engaged in a world wide propaganda effort.

Last edited:
Oh for fucks sake. Just because the code was written by a Russian doesn't make it inherently vulnerable. If they didn't have access to the source code I might be concerned, but I guarantee they do. As a developer myself I can definitely say you would be surprised by where a lot of the code for the applications you regularly use, actually comes from.

Last edited:
To bad everything else is already compromised, so this is really a moot point.

false equivalencies aside, Russia is evil, and they are engaged in a world wide propaganda effort.

That latter part is actually interesting. I've spotted some (suspected) Russian trolls in some r/news discussions. They try to blend in but they'll often use the improper slang for a term.

Infact, it's quite prevalent on the corporate front as well. The pro-Monsanto trolls will pop up (there's a list you can Google) like clockwork in any GMO/Monsanto discussion. Same thing with Comcast/Verizon/NetNeutrality. The same key players pop up to spew the same pro-agenda propaganda.

That latter part is actually interesting. I've spotted some (suspected) Russian trolls in some r/news discussions. They try to blend in but they'll often use the improper slang for a term.

Infact, it's quite prevalent on the corporate front as well. The pro-Monsanto trolls will pop up (there's a list you can Google) like clockwork in any GMO/Monsanto discussion. Same thing with Comcast/Verizon/NetNeutrality. The same key players pop up to spew the same pro-agenda propaganda.

Monsanto....haven't heard that one in awhile.

1dl3te.jpg

Back