Favorite Firefox Extensions?

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 26, 2006
Messages
2,240
I searched the forum, and couldn't find a thread like this one. Unless the title isn't even close, I don't think one exists. If there is a thread out there, then feel free to delete this one mods.

I will start, My current favorites:

Stumbleupon (I wished I had never found this.. I waste so much time on this)
Greasemonkey + Userscripts.org
Speed Dial
Pic Lens + Google Image search = awesome
Haute Secure
IE Tab
No Script
Download Statusbar
Foxmarks
 
never used a whole lot of extensions... but my vote goes for download statusbar. especially when i hit sites like rapidshare and megaupload.

as for stuff you haven't listed, the only one i have to contribute is google preview. basically it shows a screen shot of the webpage next to the google result of the page.
 
noscript is a must have and the major reason I use FF over IE
The only other two I always use are adblock and speeddial

Opera has speeddial built in by default and has a better download manager too but it's noscript that keeps me coming back to FF and no other real reason. I like to use the customized skins too so that is another reason.
 
FireGestures
Web Developer toolbar
Firebug
DownThemAll!
NoScript

These are all the ones I use. Waiting on Firebug and Webdev toolbar to be updated for Firefox 3.0.
 
Good start, anyone else out there care to share what your using? If you haven't tried Pic Lens, I would suggest to try it out. Especially, if you like to browse pics of certain types of computer hardware like me. It is very handy, and takes the searching for pics out of tons of articles on the web.
 
Depending on what you are doing, some are insanely useful. Like if you are programming in javascript, Firebug will help you a ton!
 
I use RetailMeNot. It lets you know if there are any coupon codes on retailmenot.com when shopping online. Saved me a ton of money when I built my comp.

Pic Lense is AWSOME and great with Flickr. Will have to check out the other plugins/extentions listed here tomorrow.
 
Interesting thread.. I'll add my favorites that have not been mentioned yet. :)

Bookmarks Sync and Sort - Use your own FTP server to store bookmarks across browsers

Thumbs - Adds a toolbar button to generate thumbnails for TGP's. :D

PDF Download - Prompts to download or open PDF files instead of opening in the browser

FasterFox - Tweak your connection settings/nifty page load timer
 
Tab Mix Plus - the best way to juggle tabs and has the best crash recovery
and history recovery.
i put the two icons (display and manage + display open tabs list) before the URL window and when i want to recover my previous session, its pretty easy.
it also allows you to change the order in which new tabs open.
opens closed tabs with all of their history.

oodles of features.

but you do have to configure it to fit your preferences.
 
noscript...downloadthemall....cooliris previews

would use more, but i'm trying to keep the memory usage low :)
 
In addition to many that were already mentioned, I use:

GoogleCustomize - Anonymize your Google userid, remove click tracking, block google analytics cookies, automatically use https: for gmail and such.
 
I must say, thankyou to everyone in this thread! There are some great extensions here. I absolutely love ADblock plus.
 
If you are worried about where a site is located (country-wise), another good one is showip which puts the IP address of the site you are visiting in the bottom right corner of the window.
 
Color tabs is cool.

Fission

Firefox Showcase

Something sizer for my EEE pc.

Status bar is cool too.


We should have a thread, if there isn't one already, for FF tweaks (about:config).
 
considering people have been banned for even mentioning adblock id very careful you guys
(read the forum rules)
 
Fasterfox
Flashblock
Web Developer
Fast Video Download
 
Greasemonkey - use bits of javascript to enhance/fix sites

Get scripts at www.userscripts.org

Secure Login - Enhanced password manager. Let's you login to web sites with a click of a button. Works like Opera's 'wand' feature

Smart Bookmarks Bar - Changes your bookmark toolbar items so that only the favicon is displayed until you mouse over them.
 
all-in-one gestures is the GREATEST thing in the world of firefox, PERIOD!

all-in-one sidebar rocks too

fasterfox is also a good thing to have, it speeds the browser up a bit

i have something on my other machine called Iris preview or some crap like that, it allows you to preview and browse pages in a little window without leaving the page you're on. it's AWESOME to browse forums like [H] because you can peek in really quick to read a thread without leaving the page
 
download status bar running through AVG
PicLens
Screen grab (amazing)
Foxytunes
TOR
and then "redshift" theme
 
These were mentioned but I'll reiterate:
- Adblock Plus (just greenlist hardforum :))
- Tab Mix Plus - Undo Close Tab? Yes please.
- Foxmarks - Synchronize bookmarks between the laptop, desktop, and work computer.
- Mouse Gestures - But Im going to look into FireGestures now

edit: customize google looks like its gonna be Great. The demo video was good, the music was happy!
 
I can undo closed tabs just fine without extra extension. This feature was added ages ago with the release of v2.0.

true but TMP and other extensions like Session Manager add a nice toolbar button for it so you don't have to click on history first
 
I use unlinker a lot

and Google notebook on occasion

I also use a few others, but they have already been mentioned
 
I can undo closed tabs just fine without extra extension. This feature was added ages ago with the release of v2.0.

Tab Mix Plus does it much better and if you have the time to sift through the settings that it offers, you will find a ton of value.

but to each their own. i love it.

mandatory installs:
tab mix plus
pdf download
ad-blocker
ie tab

everything else is extra
 
definitely want to try some of the extensions you guys listed here :)

my personal favorites -

ColorfulTabs - each tab is displayed in a new somewhat random color
Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Filterset.G updater (give this a whirl, it compliments abp)
 
definitely want to try some of the extensions you guys listed here :)

my personal favorites -

ColorfulTabs - each tab is displayed in a new somewhat random color
Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Filterset.G updater (give this a whirl, it compliments abp)

the ABP author actually recommends against using the Filterset.G filters. I don't remember the reasoning though. Maybe something about being too complex and actually slowing down load times.

ABP already has a subscription mode built in anyway. Try out the Easylist filters. It's what I use and they work great.
 
My essentials:

CustomizeGoogle
Fasterfox
English dictionary
ForefastFox
NoScript



I get along just fine...
 
Back
Top