Father of C Programming Language, Dies

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dennis Ritchie, the man who created the C programming language, has died at age 70. :(

In addition to being the creator of C, Ritchie co-authored "The C Programming Language," commonly referred to as K&R (after the authors, Brian Kernighan and Ritchie) and widely considered the definitive work on C. He also made significant contributions to the development of the Unix operating system, for which he received the Turing Award in 1983 (along with Kenneth Thompson).

C programming language was very one of the fundamentals of modern day programming languages.

That is to bad and I bet this guy wont even get mentioned as all the apple slut hippsters worship evil bastard steve jobs for his so called "rrevolutionary devices and advancements" he made (AKA lies)

And this dude will go unnoticed and won't get a fucking special on the Discovery channel (that I won't be watching I don't care if it has mythbusters or not, the mythbusters are dead to me now they sold out to the devil AKA steve jobs)

As always the True heros of the computer world will be forgotten and ignored while evil ass holes like steve jobs are worshiped for all the idea they stole and had nothing to do with making.

The world is wonderful.

RIP
its a shame people like Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs become the face of tech when the true geniuses behind it all get no glory.

This guy was truly one of the elder gods of modern day computing.

Without C we wouldn't have much these days in terms of software. Almost everything is based around C. A true genius. It takes a lot of skill to program and to just think he invented it :)

Just seems like the other day that we lost John Backus. Now we lost Ritchie. I hate seeing these historically relevant computer scientists go. Their legacy lives on though...

#include <stdio.h>

int main ()

{
printf("Rest in peace, you were a genius.\n");
}

return 0;

I don't see how this guy gets NO PRAISE, yet steve jobs gets an ungodly week in the news all because everyone has heard of an iphone.

I don't see how this guy gets NO PRAISE, yet steve jobs gets an ungodly week in the news all because everyone has heard of an iphone.

Honestly, when is it ever the real men and women that make a difference get attention. The meek shall inherit the earth.

RIP..
He was also influential in creating UNIX.. which a lot of apple products are based off of. its sad that the real genii never get the proper props..

This is very sad to hear... while I find C to be an unforgiving bitch, it's still an enormously popular language and enormously influential, for very good reasons.

That is to bad and I bet this guy wont even get mentioned as all the apple slut hippsters worship evil bastard steve jobs for his so called "rrevolutionary devices and advancements" he made (AKA lies)

And this dude will go unnoticed and won't get a fucking special on the Discovery channel (that I won't be watching I don't care if it has mythbusters or not, the mythbusters are dead to me now they sold out to the devil AKA steve jobs)

As always the True heros of the computer world will be forgotten and ignored while evil ass holes like steve jobs are worshiped for all the idea they stole and had nothing to do with making.

The world is wonderful.

SO much this
++

I learned C 25 years ago. I still program mainly in C for my job, and I enjoy it the same I did when it finally 'clicked' 25 years ago. No language since has been as flexible and satisfactory to me, and I work with Java, C#, VB/VB.NET as well.

RIP.

That is to bad and I bet this guy wont even get mentioned as all the apple slut hippsters (blah, blah, blah, spew Anti-Apple venom, etc...)

C Language transcends all platforms. And the more time you spend dissing Apple, the less time you spend bringing the attention of others to this man, who is responsible for a lot of developments across the market.

RIP, Dennis Ritchie. Thanks for making the world of programming languages a better place.

Even though I was never a head down coder of any type, I have had the C book on my shelf for many years. Learning C and UNIX made me fall in love with comupters.

Peace out C-man...

a TRUE inventor and creative genius... Your contributions to technology will not go unnoticed and you will live on in all your code you put yourself into

Maybe he didn't seek praise; like my Granddad, Ritchie probably hid his light under a bushel, wish I was half as smart as either of these two.

Wit no longer feels witty when you spell it out for the witless.

Agreed, I just didn't want the the comment to sound cold to those wouldn't understand it. Plus I think that book is perhaps the most important computer programming book ever written.

I shudder to imaging what computing science would look like without C...

Cobol...

RIP.

A man who should be heralded by all for what his accomplishments have given this world.

RIP

P.S.
I'm actually using the K&R book for one of my classes right now.

Sorry for the thread necro, but thought this was a great obit you all would enjoy:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/10/obituary-0

Jobs's death in October resembled the passing of a major religious figure. But all of his technological miracles, along with a billion others sold by Apple's competitors, would be merely pretty receptacles were it not for Dennis Ritchie. It is to him that they owe their digital souls, the operating systems and programs which make them tick.

Back