Fatal blow?

fsh42na

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
1,472
Just received a new Samsung 1tb drive from ZZF. I ordered from ZZF specifically for their great packing. I was waiting home patiently (not working cuz had hand surgery) for the drive. I happened to go downstairs to grab the newspaper and the delivery had arrived. We have a roughly 7 ft high gate and Mr. Fed Ex Ground decided to toss it over the top! He/she didn't even ring my bell. The delivery box had a nasty dent in 1 corner. When I opened it up, the dent was right next to the foam box that held the drive. ZZF placed the drive in 1st and then covered it with foam peanuts so the weight was unevenly distributed. Normally, I'd just hook the drive up and run diagnostic tests, but since my right hand is in a cast now and I'm typing with one hand, it'll be awhile before I can do any testing.

Should I just contact ZZF and just RMA the drive to play it safe?
 
Should be still okay, but more importantly, I would file a complaint with fedex and see if you can get them to pay out the insurance for the drive.
 
It's probably ok.

My 37 inch TV and a couple hard drives I've ordered survived being thrown out the back of a UPS truck onto my driveway.:eek: :mad:
 
thanks for replies. I have an RMA with ZZF right now. However, I'll have to pay for shipping back to them. Also, their RMA email to me said/implied that they'd run tests on returns so maybe I might get my drive shipped right back to me? Maybe I'll just get one of my daughters to help hook the drive up for me so I can run diag tests on it. I guess I'll just have to order BIG packages while I'm laid up at home so they can't be tossed over my gate:D
 
thanks for replies. I have an RMA with ZZF right now. However, I'll have to pay for shipping back to them. Also, their RMA email to me said/implied that they'd run tests on returns so maybe I might get my drive shipped right back to me? Maybe I'll just get one of my daughters to help hook the drive up for me so I can run diag tests on it. I guess I'll just have to order BIG packages while I'm laid up at home so they can't be tossed over my gate:D

If it works they will just send it back to you.
 
well, that sucks! Who's to say that the "x" G hit the drive sustained didn't affect it's lifespan? Well, no more drives to my home addy. My work address has a shipping/receiving dept so they can't throw out the packages.

Thanks
 
I would at least see if the drive survives its initial stress run in diagnostic utility testing rather than to outright RMA it. Though these drives are fragile, the ZZF packaging is designed speciifcally for these kinds of blows for shock absorption, I'm sure at the UPS facilities they're also rather cavalier with package placement as well when they're tossing it into their trucks as well. :eek:
 
Seems a little paranoid to RMA something you haven't even installed?!?

Well, normally I would simply run diagnostic tests on the drive. However, since my hand is in a cast right now (as I said in my post), it's a little hard for me to do that right now and by the time the cast comes off (1 month), I won't be able to return it to ZZF and would have to return to Samsung for a probable refurb. Now as luck would have it, I mentioned my situation to a neighbor and he was kind enough to hook it up and test it out. Happily, 3hrs later, it passed Samsung diagnostics without error so it's a keeper. I'm thankful I ordered it from ZZF.:D
 
I would at least see if the drive survives its initial stress run in diagnostic utility testing rather than to outright RMA it. Though these drives are fragile, the ZZF packaging is designed speciifcally for these kinds of blows for shock absorption, I'm sure at the UPS facilities they're also rather cavalier with package placement as well when they're tossing it into their trucks as well. :eek:

I'm sure glad I went with ZZF cuz the Egg's packaging would surely have resulted in a dead drive.
 
cool - glad to hear it worked out!
I agree with the post about reporting the delivery - bozo shouldn't throw packages over a 7 ft fence!!
 
The deflection / compression / dent shows that your drive is probably ok.. They can take something like 300 Gs when not running, and any compression at all should be enough to keep it below that.
 
I think Fedx has gone to hell in a handbasket, after they started subbing out to private contractors. I have had nothing but problems with them and DHL. Nothing but UPS for me now, if I have a choice.
 
I think Fedx has gone to hell in a handbasket, after they started subbing out to private contractors. I have had nothing but problems with them and DHL. Nothing but UPS for me now, if I have a choice.

Problem is that ZZF has the best packing and they use Fed Ex. Egg has the crappiest packing and they use(d) UPS and now I hear DHL is being used by them!
 
At any big company you get good guys and BOSOs. I just got my RMA'd drive back from ZZF last week. It was cloudy the day it was dropped off, so the Fedex guy put it in a plastic bag and carefully placed it under a bench so it had the least chance to get rained on. :)

+1 for Fedex.

Don
 
it doesn't have anything to do with fedex being bad or ups being bad its the individual, and trust me everything shipped via ground parcel has had it fair share of gforces
 
Word. Back at home, UPS was generally the "best" for me, while FedEx was okay, but DHL was absolutely horrible by tossing packages from their trucks before zooming off. Now, where I am now (Santa Barbara), DHL tends to be the best deliverers where they come by my place in a reasonable time while FedEx is still okay, but UPS comes by at 8:00 or 9:00 PM :eek:.
 
That sucks, but makes you wonder how much more abuse it got on the way. I've seen people at best buy drop HDDs off of a ladder and just put them back on the shelves for some poor sap.
 
I guess I shouldn't be surprised based on the stories that I have heard but any package from any courier (UPS, FedEx, Purolator, Canada Post) has always taken it back to their pickup location where I went to pick it up. They didn't leave it by the front door where someone could steal it! I always sign for my package. This should be the law IMHO, if it won't fit in your mailbox at last.

Maybe this is a US thing only? Or maybe I've been lucky.
 
Back
Top