fastest remote software?

lukx

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for the fastetst remote software that will give me the smoothest playback view when playing movies on madia player on other pc that is connected to my tv.

I tried remote administartor, tem viewer, real VNC and the fastest so far was remote admin, vnc didn't give me any preview of playing movie. The thing is that new remote admin 3 requires always giving password when connecting to another pc which is too convenient for me. Any other remote software I should test?

Wouldn't it just be easier to just share the files on the HTPC and then access them and play them remotely on your PC?

Or is this a work PC that you're not allowed to install media playing software?

So in other words: Why are you using remote connection software to watch video?

Let me explain how my system works. I got barbone pc which is connected directly to my plasma tv (both sound and graphic). I have laptop through whichc I connect remotely to this barbone pc to play movies, mp3, etc.

Have you tried UltraVNC ?

its waaay faster than just normal vnc, but to be honest I think that using remote to watch vids on is a bad idea, thats just my opinion.

I'm trying it right now and it's the same thing as with realVNC... no preview of movie on my laptop plus I have to setup password.

hmm, you can setup a password and then save it and then use that as a shortcut thus you dont need to input the password when you open uvnc, thats how i do it, but i guess its no use if it dont show you a preview of the vid, but video works here, but is kinda choppy and no use to watch as it would give me a sore head.

I use ssh to connect to my (linux-based) PC from my laptop, then I have aliased:
alias play='DISPLAY=:0 mplayer -fs'
This starts mplayer fullscreen on the HTPC. Controls are on the laptop (pause, skip, etc all work) but also work on the HTPC itself. I like this setup a lot. I don't know of any equivalent configuration achievable on Windows.

hmm, you can setup a password and then save it and then use that as a shortcut thus you dont need to input the password when you open uvnc, thats how i do it, but i guess its no use if it dont show you a preview of the vid, but video works here, but is kinda choppy and no use to watch as it would give me a sore head.

hmm. how I can make this shourtcut?

Why do you need to see a preview on the laptop? Aren't you using the laptop only to control the PC hooked up to the Plasma?

hmm. how I can make this shourtcut?

Log into uvnc viewer insert your password and then connect, then on the tray icon or the program window in your task bar, right click, then select "save connection info as"

Save the info somewhere on your pc, somewhere safe so you dont delete, it will ask if you want to save the password in this file also and say it is unsafe to do so, but aslong as it is only you or your immediate family who use the pc it wont matter, its just the usual dont save password scare. I saved mine in C: just beside the program files and windows folders, because I never go there unless its into windows dir or program files dir, so I wont delete shit there by mistake.

now browse to wherever you saved it to, then right click on it and select "send to" then select "create a shortcut to desktop", now you will have a auto uvnc viewer shortcut on your desktop.

That should be it, if it isnt, then it is only a case of ticking the box at the bottom of the login window to "save connection info as default" but I dont think that step needs to be done.

You dont need to create a shortcut to desktop, you could just save the connection info file to your desktop and use that, but in my case I made a shortcut as I have more chance of deleting icons on my desktop and since the saved settings file looks like the uvnc viewer icon, I dont trust myself to not delete it at somepoint in time and have forgotten the password to the server and not being able to login at a later date, so it is better to create a shortcut, but it isnt necessary.

To differentiate between the real uvnc icon and the shortcut you created, if they are both on your desktop, the shortcut one you made, if you mouse over it will have your internal ip and port on it, so you can then delete the proper uvnc startup desktop shortcut.

I am going to assume you are using windows? Just share your library using wmp 11 or another similar xnla application. Have the barebones pc connect to the notebook via wmp11 or another app that supports xlna, and you won't have to long in. You can stream most video, the only one I know will become a problem is mkv. At high resolutions you really want to be wired, but for divx wireless is fine.

Back