Fastest Remote Desktop Application

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everyone,

I've been using LogMeIn for the last year or so to manage my home pc from the office when I need it to do some conversions or compiling.

Recently, the response time has gotten terrible, with it taking 10 or more seconds for a single screen refresh. I haven't been able to figure out why it does it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any comparative experience or other suggestions. My home PC has a 12meg down 1meg up connection and the network I most often connect to it from is some form of T1 server. Could it be a result of network traffic here during the day? I've got no control over that :(

Anyway, thanks in advance for the suggestions and feedback.

- Limey

I've just tried using that, it becomes sluggish and unresponsive and won't let me make use of my dual monitors at home, I have everything spread out over 2 screens and can't see anything on the second monitor :(

I think with LogMein New UI And recent updates LogMein is now junk, I too happened to get tremendous lag to the point were it frustrates me..

Microsoft's RDP is no doubt the best/fastest. Only issue with it is that is loads an alternative video driver that will kill 3D applications (GPU folding clients, etc), so if you need to maybe start the occasional 3D app, you might want to stick with a VNC type protocol. I use LogMeIn for when I can't RDP in. I really don't know of any dual-monitor support from RDP or any remote control program for that matter.

If you're using linux, NoMachine is like RDP and VNC merged. It's not as good as RDP, but it's pretty darn close. I don't have that much experience with it, but it's pretty much X forwarding over SSH. I still need to figure out dealing with sessions on my servers for when I need to remote in from multiple computers with different resolutions without killing the active session.

YeOlde...yes, high pricetag !!!!, try running the enterprise setup with the communications broker, POS!
Does work nicely, but PITA to configure

Speaking only for a Windows platform, the built in Terminal services / Remote desktop application, is defintely the fastest option. If you tune RDP to have the lowest color depth, smaller resolution, ubind any printer, smart card, or drive sharing, also make sure it set to have to not bring sound to the local pc, you will tune it as good as it can get. On top of that, customize the rest of the options to the lowest settings, & enable bitmap cache. Beyond that it really comes down to latency of the connection between the two.

As for the poster's comment on Logmein, I agree 100%. Since logmein's recent GREEDY update, I now find their product to basically suck. it is damn shame, but I suppose all good things come to an end!

The VNC apps support multi monitors. RealVNC and TightVNC do multi montior very well. UltraVNC is probably the more secure of the three. I know RealVNC has had some bypass auth exploits. They all have options to turn the colors down and disable the wallpaper which makes the connection seem smoother.

I've been trying Microsofts live mesh. www.mesh.com. It's ok. I still prefer RDP when I can use it.

If you use any of these, I would most defiantly have a strong password set on my computer. (but you probably already do.;))

[L]imey;1034594916 said:
I've just tried using that, it becomes sluggish and unresponsive and won't let me make use of my dual monitors at home, I have everything spread out over 2 screens and can't see anything on the second monitor :(

Ok, this is one of the reasons why it is being sluggish. How big are the two resolutions?

On top of that, logmein does not work well beyond two resolutions with more than 1280x800 on each.

If you have two resolutions running at 1440x900 or beyond, you're most likely going to experience lag with any remote program.

For logmein, turn down the picture quality setting to the second lowest "text" (so that you still have color) and use only one monitor (you can choose which one you want to be displayed on logmein).

As for the poster's comment on Logmein, I agree 100%. Since logmein's recent GREEDY update, I now find their product to basically suck. it is damn shame, but I suppose all good things come to an end!

and

I think with LogMein New UI And recent updates LogMein is now junk, I too happened to get tremendous lag to the point were it frustrates me..

I also agree with these. :D

[L]imey;1034594916 said:

MSTSC.EXE in windows 7 does in fact make use of dual monitors.

To manipulate my WHS I boot into my linux OS and use the default RDP client and of all of the freewares I've used(7), this method provides the best and most seamless experience yet.

It truly feels like I'm using the server and not my desktop.

you might try teamviewer

its free and you can setup a service server so it runs all the time.... i use it and find its easier and faster than RDP

plus it doesnt require the PC to be running IE and the client app is available as a portable app also

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Back