Fastest & easiest way to upgrade to 64 bit?

sirsaechao

Gawd
What is the cheapest, fastest, easiest way for a lame sauce like me to upgrade my OEM 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista? Thanks.

1. Save any important data to another disk
2. Wipe the OS drive/partition
3. Load Vista 64bit
That is the ONLY way you can move from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS, you can't just upgrade

If you have a friend with the x64 media, you could borrow that and use your key. Others can debate the legality of it, but in my opinion, it would be fine if you use your legit key. If you bought the OEM license from a store or vendor, then you may be SOL. If it was me, I wouldn't even be worrying about it right now. I'd download the Windows 7 Enterprise 90 trial, and then ordering Windows 7 when it is released in October. Why spend money for Vista when W7 is right around the corner?

Well this is weird...

I had a laptop with vista 32 bit. I reinstalled the OS with 64 bit and used the same key.

During validation, the key went through just fine.

What is the cheapest, fastest, easiest way for a lame sauce like me to upgrade my OEM 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista? Thanks.
You need to obtain a Vista x64 disc that matches what you have. If you have Home Premium, then you need a Home Premium x64 or Ultimate x64 (you can choose HP during install). There are various 'methods' to 'obtain' the software you want. My legal suggestion is to call your PC manufacturer and ask them to buy an x64 restore disc for your model.

You need to obtain a Vista x64 disc that matches what you have. If you have Home Premium, then you need a Home Premium x64 or Ultimate x64 (you can choose HP during install). There are various 'methods' to 'obtain' the software you want. My legal suggestion is to call your PC manufacturer and ask them to buy an x64 restore disc for your model.

Actually you dont have to have the exact disk.

All the regular Vista disks contain all the versions. So you just need to make sure that it is x64.

All the regular Vista disks contain all the versions. So you just need to make sure that it is x64.

I believe just ultimate retail has both the 32 bit and 64 bit DVD's

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Is it a Dell?

Their service and support are required to swap them out for you!

(there is a document number I had to refernce...).

I e-mailed iBuyPower and they replied w/ $15 for the 64 bit and I called to place an order and they said $30...is this right on the price for a OEM upgrade?

That's insanely high. They're not selling you a new license, just shipping a disc. $15 would have been more reasonable, but still high. You'd be better off finding someone local with the disc already (or a technet account) if at all possible.

Back