Fast 19" LCD Round-Up!

I've got a BenQ FP931 arriving tomorrow, 19' 16ms DVI 450:1, I'll write a mini review if anyone is interested. 16ms 19' for 550$ is not bad, even though the 450:1 is kinda low.

Anubis: yes please :)

On a related note - what's the best place for monitor reviews? Most of what I find is for monitors that are already 6 months old, and not for the latest in LCD displays.

--
beef

Myrandex said:
My VX910 is all set up running off of DVI on my Radeon 9700, and it sure is beautiful. I reformatted so no games are set up yet, but CS:CZ is downloading right now. It is one of the first LCDs I have been on that is bright, but it seem sot display whites correctly. So many LCD's display whites so bright it kind of offsets everything else in the picture, sometimes making things not look right, but I have to say this looks perfect. Mine did not include a DVI cable though, but my dad had an extra one. That kind of surprised me because her VX500 came with a DVI cable. Everyone that has seen the monitor is extremely impressed by it as well. If anyone wants information or anything like that, I'll gladly provide.
Jason
edit -> I will be buying the Best Buy 3 year Product Service Plan (basically an extended warrantee). The VX910 comes with a 1 year warrantee if purchased within the U.S., and I think a longer one (maybe 3) if purchased outside of the U.S. I am not sure why. I have always had excellent luck with viewsonic monitors (can't say the same for RAM, motherboards, or power supplies) with them lasting though. I still have a 15" monitor that looks perfect and its been running for over 8 years.

Can you show us some photos and maybe a small review of the VX910.

Anubis: I've been looking at the FP931 for a while now - any comments you can provide would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in how much this monitor suffers from having only a 450:1 contrast ratio - how dark to blacks actually get?

Arrived a day late, sorry about the delay. I'm at work at the moment, where I just recieved it, so the only thing I have to hook it up to is my laptop. I'm running off integrated extreme2 graphics, with a vga cable, it DOESN"T come with a damn DVI cable...... But first impressions are awesome. I can't comment on ghosting, as I haven't played any games yet, but DVD playback is incredible. The color quality is really top notch, no dead pixels. whites are pretty bright, not incredible, the 450:1 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've got the brightness up to 100%, and its perfect. It just won't get overly bright, but I don't know why you would want it that high. Um, as far as I can tell, the blacks, like the background on the [H] are PERFECT. I'm looking at my crappy desktop monitoras we speak, and it really doesn't seem to be any different.......maybe just a smidge but....no, not really. I'm not experienced with LCD's really, I'll compare it to my 21' trin when Iget home. I can't wait to fire up some games on this. Its really sharp looking as well, I can post pics later tonight if anyone wants. I got a good deal on it through work for 525. Sturdy construtcion....Only beef is no DVI cable......I'll post pics and more tonight

Prime

Sounds great, Prime. Pictures and ghosting comments would be awesome.
I'm also curious to know how this monitor will handle scaling games to resolutions like 1024*768, since I'm not ready to upgrade past my GF4TI just yet.
Not a bad price either, though for the past month www.us.ncix.com has had it going on and off sale for only $510.21.

For all those interested in the VX910 i just placed an order for it at www.jr.com. Got it for $689 plus a $100 mail in rebate = $589:D. and since i don't live in new york theres no tax. Only problem is that there out of stock, but i'm willing to wait. When i get it if anyone wants any info about it i'll be happy to share.

The VX910 is so awesome. Even at low resolutions, it was flawless. This is the coolest monitor I have ever seen. No ghosting at all (I have been using it on CS:Source on 1024x768 and it is pretty unbelieveable). I wouldn't have a problem recommending it to anyone though.
Jason

Hi folks. Am new to the forums, longtime hard reader. Did not read the entire thread,but a week or so ago my local circuit city did have the sony HS94P in stock..
This is not a minireview but... The colors are excellent I.E. black is black . there are 4 brightness modes including 1 user mode. It DOES let you adjust the brightness and contrast when using the dvi input.. Have played halflife,unreal2, and IL2 forgotten Battles with what = no blur(to my eyes). the text will sometimes fuzz.The only movie I have tried is gone in 60 seconds-on divx-very good. Am not an expert on monitors but this one is much better than " the run of the mill" 25 ms spec lcd's. Downers? sure 1. the price 849-100 rebate. 2. some text is "grainy" sometimes. 3. no usb,no pivot,no height adjustment. If anyone has questions I will try to help. Again, didnt read the whole thread-if this is a rehash,sorry. This is a preety impressive monitor. p.s. the rest of the sys. is ok- xp [email protected],1 gig ram, rad 9800np@420/324. It is capable of decent framerates in most games. cheers.

Hi guys, I just wanted to add something to this thread. has anyone considered LCDs from AD Neovo? http://www.neovo-usa.com/products/products.htm The Sony LCD you guys are discussing looks and performs really good with its 12ms responce time. However, its contrast of 500:1 I thought was kind of low. Ive been looking at AG Neovo and most of their LCDs have a response time of 15ms/10ms (Rise/Fall) and have a contrast ratio of 700:1. What do you guys think?

I cannot comment on the AD Neovo but I suggest going to see this monitor head to head with other monitors. My local Fry's has this monitor as well as the Viewsonic, most of the Samsungs, etc. Contrast is greatly affected by the filter they put on, for good or bad I guess, so the straight contrast ratio of the panel doesn't tell the whole story IMO.

bnice said:
Hi guys, I just wanted to add something to this thread. has anyone considered LCDs from AD Neovo? http://www.neovo-usa.com/products/products.htm The Sony LCD you guys are discussing looks and performs really good with its 12ms responce time. However, its contrast of 500:1 I thought was kind of low. Ive been looking at AG Neovo and most of their LCDs have a response time of 15ms/10ms (Rise/Fall) and have a contrast ratio of 700:1. What do you guys think?

But it's a 25ms TFT and if you intend to game you'll have a haunted house with all that ghosting. :D

Sorry guys, the corect name of the company is AG Neovo :) Im sorry BerSerk I dont understand, arent all LCDs TFT displays? And the responce times of AG Neovo LCDs are 15ms, not 25.

No, that's not right. I have seen Neovo's specs a lot, often saying 15ms but they separate the rise and fall time. Wich are 15/10 ( don't exactly know the order, but the numbers are correct :) ).

Which makes it a total of 25ms, for sure.

Their screens look great though. Especially the E-19A, getting great reviews saying NO ghosting could be seen when testing the screens :eek: !

Great screens, even with 25ms response.

edit: They do have faster screens, but never 15. It's always 12, 16, 20, 25 or 25+ nowadays.

Hi all. Just wanted to chime in and say that mostly due to the reviews I've seen (particularly on here), I bought the Sony SDM-HS94P LCD screen a few days ago from CompUSA for $850 (with a $100 rebate from Sony). Bottom line.....WOW. Complete awe this screen has put me in. I previously had a 21" ViewSonic CRT and the major immediate difference I noticed with this LCD is the overall brightness and clarity of text and images. I have left all the default settings on the LCD as I see no reason to tamper with excellence. Also I am a big gamer, and for the last 3 days, I have done nothing but play UrbanTerror, FarCry and WarCraft III. The Games all look nothing short of beautiful and I personally have not noticed anything even remotely close to "ghosting". So far everything I've thrown at this (MPG's, DVD's, Games, Graphics, etc...) it has conquered and asked for more! Also I immediately noticed how much softer and easier the LCD is on your eyes. After 5 hours of gaming and/or typing, I could have easily have gone for another 5 hours! Two thumbs up! :D

Well, ive been reading and shopping for 3 days now and ive learned alot. Thank to this thread ive learned alot more :) . I cant decide betweeen the Sony and the Viewsonic. The Sony does look great though, and for people worried about the "Glare" factor that some reviews complain about, it is just the same as a CRT. (when i look close in my CRT i can see things behind me...no big deal really).

What im wondering about though, is several places have the Viewsonic listed as 25ms. Yet the site says 16ms. I just got back from my local Best Buy and they have it labeled as 25ms.
I even looked on/in the box and it doesnt say one way or the other...Does anyone know for positivly sure which it is??

Ya thtat's funny - I just went to Office Depot, Circuit City and Best Buy to compare the Sony and Viewsonic, every store had the Viewsonic listed as 25ms but everywhere I look online says 16ms. :confused:

Personally they both looked pretty crappy to me but in store demo's suck so bad it's just frustrating, so I am no further in my search. yay. :D

Im with ya bro :p Ive been goin around town and every website i can find f/ 3 days...I'm not positive about the response time on the viewsonic and not sure on the Sony as 850.00 is well, 850.00 :p

Well I will give the Viewsonic this much - in the limited time I was able to test it at Best Buy (I practically had to pistol whip the guy to get the mouse from him) it ghosted very little during Doom 3 playback @ 1280x1024, so even if it's 25ms (16ms typical) or something, it doesn't seem to ghost badly at all. They had it set up miserably too, what a joke - I seriously don't know how those guys sell anything.

I'm waiting to here what Anubis has to say about that BenQ, they look interesting but the lack of reviews online is sort of puzzling.

If you are waiting for the Sony SDM-HS94P because of price, keep an eye on Circuit City... they've had 10% off the entire line of Sony's online (with a store pickup option) about every 4 weeks... if you can hit another sale like that before the $100 warranty runs out next month you can pick it up for $665 plus tax.

Question - www.jr.com has the VX910 for $689.98-$100 MIR = $589.98 right? They also list a $50 rebate that ends today (8/25) and the CSR said both are applicable. I don't see how that's possible since they are both Viewsonic rebates. Is he smoking crack?

I'm a rebate noob, so I thought I'd ask.

Creef412 said:
For all those interested in the VX910 i just placed an order for it at www.jr.com. Got it for $689 plus a $100 mail in rebate = $589:D. and since i don't live in new york theres no tax. Only problem is that there out of stock, but i'm willing to wait. When i get it if anyone wants any info about it i'll be happy to share.

There's also a $50 J&R only rebate that ends today. 689 - 100 - 50 +24 (shipping).= $563. 19" 16ms.

JackieO said:
Question - www.jr.com has the VX910 for $689.98-$100 MIR = $589.98 right? They also list a $50 rebate that ends today (8/25) and the CSR said both are applicable. I don't see how that's possible since they are both Viewsonic rebates. Is he smoking crack?

I'm a rebate noob, so I thought I'd ask.

Yeah they both apply. In the fine print, the $50 rebate says it can be combined with offer number whatever. Which is the $100 rebate. Funny how we both posted about the same thing at almost the same time.

Wow that is funny, thanks for the information I appreciate it. OK I just ordered one and I actually talked the guy into free shipping (just FYI for everyone, they are flexible), so total price was $539.88 shipped to CA (no tax).

(one last Question - when I send in the rebates do I send them in togethr or seperately? Thanks again :) )

Not sure about that second rebate. i e-mailed viewsonic before purchasing my vx910, heres what happened:

ME: I was just wondering if i can combine 2 rebates for the VX 910. The two
rebates are the $100 rebate for the VX series and the other is a $50
rebate for purchases from J&R. Thank you in advanced

-----------------------------

There Responce: No, the rebates cannot be combined, the rebate offer is only one per
sales reciept , per household.
Thank you

so unless that person is an idiot, i don't think they can be combined.
but i am still going to send them both in together to see what happens. i'm fine with the price i got it for and it would be even better if i got the other $50 back.

Ya, I am going to send both too - it says specifically on the $50 one that it can be combined with the $100 offer. I'll just make sure to highlight that part. :)

So has anyone that owns this Display (VX910) know for sure that is 16ms. ? see my above posts...at the stores they say 25ms....

Viewsonic US says 16ms (typ) and when you call them they tell you that it's 16ms, so I'm going to take their word. I'll let you folks know if it ghosts when I get mine. Luckily jr.com has a good return policy.

Just checked my e-mail and got a confirmation on my vx910 being shipped, it's gonna get here tommorow(thursday). it's good to be less the 20 miles from a store and not have to pay tax :D . and i got overnight shipping for free(technically). anyway the first thing i'm gonna do is bust out some UT2K4 followed by Farcry and then some NFSU. i'm deffinantly gonna be looking for any ghosting or screen door but i don't think i'll find any. wish me luck

Cool...come back and let us know how it is...and if it comes with any documentation as to the redponse time...16 or 25...

Good luck - you will get yours 3-4 days before I get mine so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. :D

You can get the BenQ FP931 for $503.00 shipped at Buy.com as there is a coupon floating around for 10% off the first $500.00 you spend. Standard economy shipping is free. I should have mine in a couple of weeks and can let you all know what I think of it when it comes in.

I want to say thanks to the creator of this thread. I stumbled across this one while trying to find info on 19" LCD's with good response times. I did not realize there were so many LCD's available with 16ms or better times.

Well i got it, unpacked it, and it kicks ass. So far i've tested it on UT2K4, NFSU, and Farcry(all running at 1280x1024). All games were played on a Radeon 9800Pro. From what i have seen there is no ghosting whatsoever and the only time i saw a screen door was when i brought it in off the pourch. The screen is crystal clear and the colors are sharp and nice to look at. I'm am upgrading from a Viewsonic A90f+ and the differance is well worth the cost.

My only grip is that it DIDN'T come with a DVI cable. :(

Also i haven't found anything in the manual yet that states the responce time. the book is very vague and only show how to set up the monitor.

I would post some pictures i took but i have no where to host them as of now. i'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

Over all i am very pleased with this monitor and suggest it to anyone looking to buy a 16ms 19" lcd.

Gonna go try the Battlefield games now and some of the mods. i make an update later.

Well, one of the guys at OCUK emailed Viewsonic and they told him it is a 25 ms TFT. Buy nobody report ghosting, and all love the color, so i dont think it really matters . ?? Im new to these panels but dont you lose color the lower you go in response time ( or something like that) ?? Maybe thats why it looks so good?? ( ok, that sounded very noob.... :p )

DPO said:
Well, one of the guys at OCUK emailed Viewsonic and they told him it is a 25 ms TFT. Buy nobody report ghosting, and all love the color, so i dont think it really matters . ?? Im new to these panels but dont you lose color the lower you go in response time ( or something like that) ?? Maybe thats why it looks so good?? ( ok, that sounded very noob.... :p )

That's weird, I e-mailed them and they said 16ms. Are there different versions for the US and UK/AUS maybe? Viewsonic.com says 16ms (typ), Viewsonic UK and AU say 25ms. Either way, no one has reported ghosting, not a single person I've read reviews from, so ya. I will post my thoughts next week, mine is in the mail with a delivery date of Tuesday.

Creef412 said:
Well i got it, unpacked it, and it kicks ass. So far i've tested it on UT2K4, NFSU, and Farcry(all running at 1280x1024). All games were played on a Radeon 9800Pro. From what i have seen there is no ghosting whatsoever and the only time i saw a screen door was when i brought it in off the pourch. The screen is crystal clear and the colors are sharp and nice to look at. I'm am upgrading from a Viewsonic A90f+ and the differance is well worth the cost.

I would post some pictures i took but i have no where to host them as of now. i'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

Good to hear - thanks. If you want those pics hosted you can e-mail them to me at [email protected], I will be glad to host them for you.

[ELS]Da_Bears said:
You can get the BenQ FP931 for $503.00 shipped at Buy.com as there is a coupon floating around for 10% off the first $500.00 you spend.

The BenQ FP931 is now $445.24 at ncix.com, after a $36.50 mail-in rebate.

ArthurDent said:
The BenQ FP931 is now $445.24 at ncix.com, after a $36.50 mail-in rebate.
Missed that one, but my monitor arrived today. So much for the one to two week delivery. Was a nice surprise. I am going to try and turn the rebate in and see if it works. Not sure if buy.com is authorized or not though.

If anyone wants, I will post shots later. So far, no ghosting in Doom3. Only ghosting I got was taking the browser window and using the mouse to shake it around like a ragdoll. Will test other games later tonight. I like the color better than the 710T I had as well.

Back