Fast 19" LCD Round-Up!

I think that "review" monitor suffered a lot of abuse being passed around to all the different review sites. When I got mine, I noticed how tight the stand/arm was. However, since I wall mounted mine, I cannot comment about it moving over time. Wall mounting is really NICE :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah,mine is nice and tight also so maybe that's the reason that one is loose.I was thinking of mounting mine on the wall also,but I get nervous thinking about it hanging a few feet off the floor with two kids running around the house.

So I finally got my VX910 and everything looks good so far. Colors are good, black levels are good, plenty of brightness leeway (I'm running about 50%). It's definitely a 16ms display, I've been playing Doom 3, GTA3, Far Cry and just about any other fast moving game I can get my hands on and there is little or no smearing/tearing or ghosting. I can't find any dead or stuck pixels but YMMV on that. I will make an effort to get some pics tomorrow (my digital camera is the pits) beside an 8 bit panel so see if there is any difference in color or banding in the greyscale. I'm looking at the two now and can't really tell much of a difference (aside from the 8 bit being 17 inch). Overall I am very pleased with the purchase so far.

If I get some decent light tomorrow I will try to get pics.

Alright, here are some pics. Keep in mind my digital camera is 4 years old and 1MP, so take them with a grain of salt. As you can see my camera washed stuff out when there is any light, both LCDs have better contrast than is shown but the window behind them screwed up the pictures. The only observations have is that the 8bit 17 inch does have slightly brighter colors at the expense of more washed out blacks. I prefer the Viewsonics picture overall. The grey scale pic is pretty bad but you get the idea - in the grey transitions the 8 and 6 bit panels dont seem to show any differences.

lcd1.jpg

lcd2.jpg

lcd3.jpg

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

jack_r said:
Trustno1.... I'd recommend against buying the Phillips 1905... search for my earlier review of it...

Yeah, I checked the french forums you posted. and what you said in your first post confirms it it's good in games. I did get mixed opinions about how it was with text though. But it's a little cheaper than the Samsung or similar ones, that's why I was looking at that one.

edit: Just saw the review you were refering to. and I do a lot of surfing myself. How bad is it??
It's my first time buying an LCD monitor, so I'm being overly cautious.

Like I said though, the french forums did mention some text issues, but some said they had the problem, some said they didn't :|

JackiO you lucky bastard... I want your monitors.. mail them to my house.. now :D ;)

Anyway i am ordering the new Viewsonic VP912b.. end of september.. I am sure it will be really good....

Really nice monitor,if I hadn't bought my Samsung I would have bought a Viewsonic I think.It looks nice and the colors look O.K. to me,what is the viewing angle on it and how does it scale down in games?I was pleasantly surprised at how well mine scales down in games,the last LCD I had did a reall crappy job of that.Anyways,glad you like it I'm sure I would too if I bought it instead of mine.

Chris

They're actually for my wife, so go ahead and call her a lucky bitch. :)

Someone's gotta make some money around here, might as well be her!

cstafs said:
Really nice monitor,if I hadn't bought my Samsung I would have bought a Viewsonic I think.It looks nice and the colors look O.K. to me,what is the viewing angle on it and how does it scale down in games?I was pleasantly surprised at how well mine scales down in games,the last LCD I had did a reall crappy job of that.Anyways,glad you like it I'm sure I would too if I bought it instead of mine.

Chris

The viewing angles are good, I am not sure what their specs are but it is way better than the Hyundai pictured with it. I'd say I can get almost vertical before it becomes washed out. The jury is still out on the game scaling. It looks great at 1280x1024 for games but the only game I've tried 1024x768 so far is BF:V and it looked pretty bad. I am going to try Doom 3 at a lower res tonight to see how it goes. I'd have bought the Samsung also had it not been for the J&R deal on the VX910, the only major downside to this monitor (that the sammy doesnt have) is the 1 year warranty. Luckily most credit cards will double that and make it 2, but still - 1 year is weak.

by the way what mouse is that front of the monitors. cool black mouse.....it matches with the viewsonic monitor.. it looks like microsoft, but i dont think they make black mouse...

Trancify said:
by the way what mouse is that front of the monitors. cool black mouse.....it matches with the viewsonic monitor.. it looks like microsoft, but i dont think they make black mouse...

Actually it's a peice of crap - it's one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=23-165-001&depa=1

It looks nice but it's really cheaply made and you can totally feel it. I'm only using it now because my Logitech MX Duo is being RMA'd for the *third* time. :mad:

I guess it's fine for $20, but I wouldn't use it long term.

The VP912b is now in stock some places. I ordered mine today. It was actually less money than the VP191b. I'm assuming it's the same 19" panel that Sony, BenQ and others are using. I'm hoping the image quality doesn't blow. I'll post a report next week when it arrives.

oc

oddlycalm said:
The VP912b is now in stock some places. I ordered mine today. It was actually less money than the VP912b. I'm assuming it's the same 19? panel that Sony, BenQ and others are using. I'm hoping the image quality doesn't blow. I'll post a report next week when it arrives.

oc

Where did you order it from.. give me the site... i wanna order mine...

ohh and when you get it... post your mini-reviews on that monitor.. Thanks

Sorry, meant to say the VP912 was priced less than the VP191....duh.

Viewsonic doesn't list the color specs, but I'm guessing this is not an 8 bit panel.

I confirmed this seller has stock. Price is $740. Since they just came in there nobody there has done any testing. My guess is that Chris Connolly will do a full review on this monitor next week sometime. I'll post my own impressions when I get a chance, but my Japanese distributor will be in town all next week so I'll be lucky if I get home to sleep a few hours every night, let alone dick around with a new monitor.
VP912b at GamePC

oc

Yes please post your mini review.. when you get it. I've been waiting long time for this monitor. I will wait for your reviews and then order mine..... :D

I started reading this thread this afternoon, on my laptop, whilst pretending to work hard in an office in Hong Kong, and I just finished now, using my brand new 19" monitor! Thanks to all for all the info/research you guys did, it helped a huge amount in deciding what monitor to get

this monitor is soo much better than any other lcd I've ever used, its crystal clear and seems to be performing perfectly. I have no games worth testing on my laptop, but I cant wait to introduce it to my desktop...

cheers again guys :D

Skivver... glad you like the SDM-HS94p... ain't it beautiful.

TrustNo1... this was my first LCD monitor purchase too... I like to play games on the computer, but need a monitor to be comfortable for desktop work, programming and internet surfing also... a monitor for me has to be good at both... the Phillips 190S5CB was so bad at text that I went through the ordeal of sending it back to Dell and waiting 8 weeks to get my refund... that came after I bought a $40, top-of-the-line, monitor cable and days of tweaking trying to get the Phillips to look better... it was a bit of a hard decision because gaming on that 19" Phillips was so much fun, and sending it back meant that I had to do without for a while... but after seeing the SMD-HS94P I'm so glad that I did... the difference is like looking at an early 1980's dot matrix text printout, verses somthing printed out on a nice new Laser printer... other monitors might be fine for text also... but honestly, I'd steer clear of the Phillips... why pay that much and get something that you will be disappointed or only half satisfied with

I found a post from someone who says the Benq FP931 has a 18" viewable screen instead of a true 19" this would make a big diffrence to me and i'm thinking of buying one of these monitors, any confirmation of this? Benq's website doesnt say anything about the viewable size of the monitor that i could find.
thanks,

the vp912b is going for 683 (free ship) at pcnation.com, however the shipping time is set at 2+ weeks.

Jamister989 said:
I found a post from someone who says the Benq FP931 has a 18" viewable screen instead of a true 19" this would make a big diffrence to me and i'm thinking of buying one of these monitors, any confirmation of this? Benq's website doesnt say anything about the viewable size of the monitor that i could find.
thanks,

The FP931 sitting right in front of me has a 19" (diagonal) panel. So, yes, it's a true 19", not an 18" like that review at ncix.com.

yea that did sound wierd, I had never heard of LCD's not viewing the full screen size, as that was supposed to be a thing of the past with CRTs.

Viewsonic VP912b mini-review

The monitor arrived and everything looks good. Zero dead or stuck pixels and no uneven backlighting, no damage. It came with a "pixel perfect" guarantee, so that part was not a surprise. GamePC charged $740 including the guarantee, however I'm sure those willing to take a chance will find it for substantially less elsewhere in the weeks to come.

This 19" monitor very likely uses the same panel that is in the Sony HS94P as the panel is rather reflective. Viewsonic calls their coating the Glare 2H :cool: so I think we can say that Sony's X-brite nomenclature is a bit more, um… sophisticated. ;) Bottom line here is that if reflections bother you, look elsewhere. In my office all the lights and windows are in front of me below eye level and the wall behind me is dark, so glare and reflection are not issues I care about. It did prevent me from taking any useful screen pictures though as much of what is seen is me with camera. :eek:

The base on the Viewsonic VP series is fully adjustable for height, tilt and the screen rotates to portrait, so compared to the Sony with tilt only this is a big plus. On the other hand, the Viewsonic lacks the Sony’s funky George Jetson futuristic styling. Gamers wanting a 19" display will have an additional choice, however it will suffer from the same glare issues as the Sony does.

Angle of viewing is specified as 160 degrees, and that seems correct. The 12ms pixel response spec also seems correct, and I have been unable to see any ghosting at all, so gamers will be happy. As far as the panel characteristics, anything that has been said about the Sony will hold true for the VP912 as well I imagine. Viewsonic and Sony are both conspicuously silent on whether this is a 6 bit or 8 bit panel leading me to guess that it may be 6 bits and that the magic coating used is to improve the color appearance. If so, it works remarkably well, but the glare and reflection is the price paid. However, you won't be able to tell from looking at it, as the colors are gorgeous and very saturated.

In any case, not only does the color look great but the monitor shipped the with the brightness correctly set to 50% and the color set to 6500K which is unusual in my experience, but very welcome. It will probably look awful in stores next to all those poorly adjust monitors with their brightness set to high and their color set to 9500K. :rolleyes:

I bought the monitor mostly for text apps, as I have a SQL database front end that is limited to 1280x1024, and does funny things when the font sizes are increased. The cost of re-coding it would be a significant portion of the $25,000 we already have in it, so that was not an option. Text is crisp and legible so that end is covered now.

I will be adding a 2nd 23"-24" display for non-text apps after I see the new LED backlit units early next year, but for now the VP912b has got my text apps handled and gaming on it is very good as well.

jg

vx910 just dropped to 649 retail. www.jr.com has it for $599. Throw in a $100 mir add about $23 shipping and I think you got a sweet deal. About $523 for those outside of ny.

Hell of a deal. Using my employee discount, I got it for $545 after mail in rebate. The monitor is truly outstanding though, I have absolutely no complaints with it.
Jason

Now they're offering free shipping. So $500... out of stock for now though.

I am trying to decide either to get the HS94 or VP912b. Xbrite sounds like it is better than glare 2h, but VP912b has a better bezel.

Can anyone who has the HS94 please tell me if it can be mounted on a wall.

Thank you.

oddlycalm, can you turn down the backlight on the vp912b like you can on the HS94? How is the viewing angle from below? Could you lie on a low bed beside a table with the monitor on the table and be able to see clearly what is on the screen?

Thanks

Trinz said:
Now they're offering free shipping. So $500... out of stock for now though.

I was going to pull the trigger when they came back in stock. But as they came back in stock they took away the free shipping. Oh well...

bob321 said:
oddlycalm, can you turn down the backlight on the vp912b like you can on the HS94? How is the viewing angle from below? Could you lie on a low bed beside a table with the monitor on the table and be able to see clearly what is on the screen?

Thanks

why would somebody want to know something this specific? o_O
/mind wanders

agentzero9 said:
Trinz did yours have any dead pixels?

Don't know yet. It comes in tomorrow. I ordered when it was backordered cause I talked to customer service to get an eta. He said he wasn't sure but if i ordered i would get all the goodies like free ship and the rebate but I wouldn't get charged til it came in stock, so i thought what the hell. It was in stock the next day, but like agentzero9 said the shipping was back. 523 still ain't bad.

I'll let you know about dead pixels tomorrow.

Just got this reply from Viewsonic UK regarding the release of the VX912 (12ms)....

Hi
We are expecting these to be in the distribution channel around the end
October beginning of November

What do you think the price difference between the VX912 and VX910 will be?

Got the vx910 today. Still messing around with the colors, brightness, contrast etc. I've defenitely seen an improvement in darker games from the out of box settings. Anyone have any tips for this monitor? Oh and from what I've seen so far, no dead pixels, but I haven't done a full run through.

With mine I just got a DVI cable I had laying around, and ran it at the recommended resolution w/ the updated driver and it looks perfect to say the least. On games, it even is incredible at non-recommended resolutions too.
Jason

Myrandex said:
With mine I just got a DVI cable I had laying around, and ran it at the recommended resolution w/ the updated driver and it looks perfect to say the least. On games, it even is incredible at non-recommended resolutions too.
Jason

I don't have DVI out. I set it to sRGB for color. What does this mean and why can't I adjust brightness and contrast? I mean it did make unreal look it's best in dark environments compared to using 9300K, 6500K, or 5400K. I don't feel like messing with "User" custom settings yet.

Any programs out there to help find dead pixels?

Great monitor so far btw.

What does 640x480 look like on the VP912b? Is text clearly legible and is ghosting a problem?

Dead pixels are easiest to spot when your computer is in DOS mode before windows startup. The pixel will just be 'stuck' on a certain color (for example, my laptop has a red one in the middle of the screen). Also, if the pixel is stuck on black, open a blank work document and just look for a black dot that stays in the same place in the screen.
Jason

well since I haven't found any so far, i think i'm going to stop looking so as not to disappoint myself. Now that I've messed with the settings on this monitor, I love it even more. Only thing that the physical adjustability is low. I knew it was going to be though. I just didn't realize that since both of my desks have the monitor sit on higher elevation and the monitor itself sits high on it's neck, i had to raise my chair to get the right view of the monitor. If I find time I'll take pictures.

bob321 said:

Yeah, the monitor has control buttons on the lower edge and you can turn down the brightness and perform other adjustments without going into softward. As for the viewing angle, it's not great. I'd say more like 130 degrees rather than the specified 160. The monitor can be tilted forward beyond 90 degrees though.

I'm not sure any of us want to know what you're doing in bed while viewing the monitor... :D

oc

Bought this from Amazon last week(799-100 rebate, and no tax), It arrived yesterday and so far I am very happy with it. This is my first lcd display.
I am not a gamer so I cannot address that for anyone, I also have no need to rotate the display to landscape so I cannot address that either.
I looked at the Samsung 192n and a Liquid Video that was on sale at Circuit City this week and both did not impress me as did the Sony. Text is clear and crisp in it's native mode. I did not need to make any adjustments, out of the box worked just fine. It appears to have no dead pixels. I turned the background black, white, red, and blue. Actually the highest brightness setting is too bright for me, I have it notched down to the second brightness setting. Played two movies, Toy Story and My Big Fat Greek Wedding, color is excellent and no jumpiness is apparent. Hope this helps everyone.

Well my first post....

I just ordered the BenQ fp937. Had the fp931 ordered for a while, but they kept screwing up and eventually I cancelled that in favor of getting this one from pcmall. But it is still a week away before they get any, so probly 2 weeks b4 i can get it. (except Ive had some bad expericances with sites that constantly delay recieval dates by 2 -3 days at a time for over a month)

I hope ive made the rigtht decision, this'll be my first LCD.

edit: what I wanna know is what is the deal with this moniters availablility? None of the big guys carry it, pcmall is the only place I could find that has it that ive even heard of before. And on all the sites that do have it, only about 2 have any in stock.

Back