Far Cry a lock for GOTY?

Ive played all 3 games, thats how I can say that.

Far Cry isnt all that so get over it

There ya have it folks. Must be some sort of super insider that gets to play the games in a legit fashion and can say for sure that what he is playing is so good that the game that is released will be that much better.

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero

D3 will have a story, they hired a hollywood scribe for it.
I'm sure it will have a story:
Your on Mars, someone opened a gate to hell, now go kill stuff.

As I was saying, from the media that's been released on both games, HL2 looks more exciting and story driven. All we've seen from Doom is "Oh look, monsters!"

Originally posted by Typical Gamer
Ive played all 3 games, thats how I can say that.

Far Cry isnt all that so get over it

You are cool, can I be your e-friend? Please oh please?

:rolleyes:

No, he's probably too |337 for e-friends... Anyways :rolleyes:

So played all 3... retail versions eh? Because that's what GOTY is, retail games. Not alpha leaks of a level, not beta leaks of games, not hacked pre-retail releases.

Demos? Please, why bother comparing a demo vs. retail game. UT2K4 is a perfect example of why this is stupid. The textures were 1/2 size to make the download smaller. So yeah, double textures is going to make the retail game look, meh, a little better. :rolleyes:

It's only march and your talking GOTY. :rolleyes:

This whole thread=:rolleyes:

My eyes hurt they are so far back in my head right now.

Originally posted by Phoenix86
No, he's probably too |337 for e-friends... Anyways :rolleyes:

So played all 3... retail versions eh? Because that's what GOTY is, retail games. Not alpha leaks of a level, not beta leaks of games, not hacked pre-retail releases.

Demos? Please, why bother comparing a demo vs. retail game. UT2K4 is a perfect example of why this is stupid. The textures were 1/2 size to make the download smaller. So yeah, double textures is going to make the retail game look, meh, a little better. :rolleyes:

It's only march and your talking GOTY. :rolleyes:

This whole thread=:rolleyes:

My eyes hurt they are so far back in my head right now.

Amen :D

Somehow I doubt the leaked Half Life 2 and Doom 3 ALPHA somehow competes with Far Cry :rolleyes:

You guys are haters for no reason. I defend my position by saying I played the games and made a decision based on the content, and thats bragging?

Get off my jock, being that damn critical is what hurts [H]. Take it for what it is, dont flip my words around and make me out to be something I'm not.

DOOM III is really coming out this time. Maximum PC played the Multiplayer Beta and they said it was very good. DOOM III is the GOTY in my book as of now, only because no one knows the fate of HL2. But if it does come out this year, that will easyly be GOTY only because of the huge multiplayer fan base HL has.

You guys are haters for no reason. I defend my position by saying I played the games and made a decision based on the content, and thats bragging?

Get off my jock, being that damn critical is what hurts [H]. Take it for what it is, dont flip my words around and make me out to be something I'm not.

I wouldn't even call that criticism. Criticism is when you make comments on the content, not the person. We are not here to attack each other, criticisize the content not the person.

DOOM III is really coming out this time. Maximum PC played the Multiplayer Beta and they said it was very good.

People also played the mp of DOOM ]|[ at last years quakecon so....

No you just came off half cocked is all.

Comparing 2 games that aren't released to a game that is is assinine.

That being said, FC is the next gen game now. It has all the bells n whistles of the HL2 and Doom 3 engine right NOW.

Will HL2 and Doom3 be better? Who knows, time will tell. But right NOW it's one helluva game (based on retail and not the partially crappy demo).

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by Killdozer
I'm sure it will have a story:
Your on Mars, someone opened a gate to hell, now go kill stuff.

As I was saying, from the media that's been released on both games, HL2 looks more exciting and story driven. All we've seen from Doom is "Oh look, monsters!"

D3: Oh look monsters!
HL2: Oh look Aliens!

You have to be one shallow fuck to find such basic story premises intresting. Get off your vavle and go play some rpgs.

the same can be said about rpgs.

oh look a wizard!
oh look a spell!
oh look earrings that give 10% to regeneration...!!1
i cant bear to go on...

Oh look Aliens, let me use this tractor beam to throw a dirty old bed at you!

Why are you limiting FPS's to the GOTY. What about world of warcraft, and city of heros. I say those a hella good GOTY contenders.

Originally posted by Killa|3yte
the same can be said about rpgs.

oh look a wizard!
oh look a spell!
oh look earrings that give 10% to regeneration...!!1
i cant bear to go on...

so true. Casting spells = unhetero.

You have to be one shallow fuck to find such basic story premises intresting. Get off your vavle and go play some rpgs.
You don't understand.
Doom seems like it's going to have nothing but monsters. There aren't any other characters to interact with, there probably isn't going to be a driving force behind your actions, all you're going to do is wander though levels kill stuff from hell.

HL2 will be story driven, like a movie. What you do, where you go, who you meet, what's going to happen are all going to be based on the story that makes the game.

Doom3 can probably be best described as a slow saunter though a devastated facility and eventually hell. You're just going to go with it, you don't know why, you just will.

But you don't understand any of this, maybe when the game comes out you can understand further...but for now, you can't see past your nose.

As far as RPGs go, I play them almost as much as FPS games. I play them for the story, not for the graphics or 'hawt chiks' in the game. FFX was a great game with a good story, FFx-2 had a nice battle/job system, but the story was nothing but a series of instances with a slight layer keeping it all together.
Secret of Mana was a great game with good story driving the character. Legend of Mana on PSX blew because there was no central story, it was just little adventures.
Valkyrie profile had the same problem. There was one element driving the game, but you never delve into it until the very end so the majority of the game play was moving with the mini-tales of the characters you pick up.

Originally posted by Killdozer

But you don't understand any of this, maybe when the game comes out you can understand further...but for now, you can't see past your nose.

I understand enough to know you have an ass, and that most of your information protrudes from it. I also understand that had you been following D3 even remotely you'd know that there are a multitude of characters to interact with [Phil LeMarr just finished his voice overs for a bunch of characters]. In fact the 'invasion' doesn't start until you trigger it, meaning you can walk around the Mars base and talk with just about everyone before you take your 'shift'. It's been mentioned in a multitude of articles. Now, will it be as 'involved' as HL2. Probabley not. Will it be as fragtastic as the original Doom. Nope. But you'd know this if you bothered to keep yourself informed instead of relying on others to call you on your bullshit.

its one of the best ive played in a while, i WILL give you that.... but hl2 and d3 are going to take a nut in each respective hand and run in opposite directions.

i love the engine, but lets face it.... the monsters were jerky when attacking. the ai moved well for cover, but they werent the smartest. i personally cant save anymore for some reason, even though it tells me im saving ingame. shall i go on??

at best, the cryengine will be used for some very interesting mods. much like hl, i see this good game being an even better investment for mod makers....

But Half Life story in retroperspective wasn´t that great so what says that Half Life 2:s story will be so awesome? I mean many other have already copied Half Lifes concept and made it better if Half Life what is going to make Half Life 2 more ground breaking than Doom 3.

I think those will be pretty standardardized games really with some glorious graphics. Half Life 2:s physics aren´t really original any more.

So I ain´t sure Half Life 2 and Doom 3 is gonna rock as much as if they where released 6 months ago.

I don´t see any of these three having a ground breaking story really. They are still fps:s so what do you expect? Storys have never been fps games main selling points.

I see no real reason why Half Life 2 and Doom 3 would be soo much better than today fps games really.

Oh look Aliens, let me use this tractor beam to throw a dirty old bed at you!

Classic.

So far I Far Cry has been a very enjoyable game. You have all the action of other games. Great indoor and outdoors settings, drivable vehicles, deformable terrain, some interactive objects, no set path to your objective, an engine that can make HUGE levels, decent weaps, a cool hawaiin shirt, and plenty of bullets.

What more could a guy ask for in a game.
I agree that the next gen game is here now, if HL2 and D3 are better than what I am playing with far cry then all I have to say is WOW(not world of warcraft).

Originally posted by oqvist
By the time Doom 3 and Half Life 2 arrives everybody will have already played them in their minds so they will sell like dog shit ;)

Thats quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Originally posted by uB3rn00b3r
I agree that world of warcraft will suprise a lot of people...

It's still the same level up and get phat lewt... Unless they are adding in some good vs evil PvP it'll be another meh mmorpg (I'll still probably buy it though, like I do most other mmorpgs :p)

Its a battle between DIII and HL2

He said this year, as in 2004.

Joking aside, I'd rather see something like Halo 2 or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Different strokes.

UT2004 doesn't impress me much. Hitting people seems more like luck than skill. Games like Q3 didn't feel like that to me, but this does. The graphics aren't all that great either (I'm not saying they're bad, but they're not bleeding edge either)

Get off your vavle and go play some rpgs.

You mean the ones where young, feminine guys battle their homosexuality, fall in love with the beautiful girl that looks just like them (But with long hair), and overcome a beast that has plagued an entire nation with the help of several unlikely friends?

*blink*

Anyway, I think FC is probably the best looking game I've ever played. I think it could quite possibly take GOTY over HL2 or D3 or Stalker if only because it's the first of the NG shooters to come out... each one putting another nail in the coffin of the toothsome FPS format. It's my favorite, but MAYBE customers will remember that FC brought them there first.

Or not.

FC isn't a lock, by any means.

why are yall bickering over this? assuming all these games come out, we'll have had one great year (or two) for games.

i mean let's go down the list shall we?

CoD
KOTOR
doom 3
half-life 2
far-cry
ut2k4
stalker
BF:V *even with the "issues"*

all alone these games could easily win game(s) of the year. but the fact that they're all in the SAME year (cept for two) is pretty freaking awesome. if you ask me i'm just gonna sit back and enjoy and play and have fun. you should too.

Originally posted by WickedAngel

You mean the ones where young, feminine guys battle their homosexuality, fall in love with the beautiful girl that looks just like them (But with long hair), and overcome a beast that has plagued an entire nation with the help of several unlikely friends?

so true

Originally posted by WickedAngel

this reminds me. at my school in the student lounge there's a group of about 5 guys who play those card RPG games. and let me tell ya. i'm not one to judge. i am a very intense nerd. but man. those guys are baaad nerds.

Originally posted by Devnull
so true

Ya, if you're a Final Fantasy whore. There are a great deal of rpg series out there, Xenosaga, Breath of Fire, Tales of [], Growlanser, Arc the Lad, Persona, Wild Arms, Star Ocean, SaGa, Chrono, Seiken Densetsu, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, ActRaiser, Front Mission, Dark Cloud, etc etc....I could go on but I'm guessing I've lost all you 'rpg = save the princess' types already. Contrary to ignorant belief, FF isn't the pinnacle of japanese rpgs. Might I suggest you *GASP* actually bother to play a few before condemning the whole lot of them.

As for FPSs, they don't really need deep engrossing stories. That's not what people play them for. So you'll have to forgive me if I mention that occasionally when people ride [insert FPS here] for not having a story up to the Half-Life standard. In the future I shall strive to cast the FPS genre in a Halo of perfection. :rolleyes:

I am still concerned about games like halflife 2 and doom 3, I hope they are not using this time to make them look like shit so they will appeal to a wider audience. What with valve doing a survey to see what sort of hardware people run and the doom 3 screen shots progressively looking worse (in my opinion).

After seeing games like duesex 2 that looked superb while it was in development and comparing it to the final product. I can only hope these new games will finally manage to at least meet my expectations.

Originally posted by ignition
What with valve doing a survey to see what sort of hardware people run and the doom 3 screen shots progressively looking worse (in my opinion).

The recently released screenshots of D3 have been from the Xbox build. And yes, they don't look to be on par with the PC version at all.

Might I suggest you *GASP* actually bother to play a few before condemning the whole lot of them.

You might try doing that yourself, chief. You've generalized all FPS/Action games, so why shouldn't I do the same with RPG's.

By the way, Xenosaga is more of an interactive movie than it is a videogame.

Back