Far Cry 6

Thank god I finally finished FC5, play time was 11 hours but honestly felt like 30 with how tedious it was. And holy fuck, having to listen to 4 emotionally tortured and uninteresting antagonists give boring as fuck monologues followed by terrible boss missions made me want to uninstall half way through. At least I won't feel the need to play another FC game again for at least a couple of years.

11 hours? Maybe if you quickly speed ran just the story missions. Most people finish it in around 18 hours, or 30 hours if doing side quests.

11 hours? Maybe if you quickly speed ran just the story missions. Most people finish it in around 18 hours, or 30 hours if doing side quests.

That's exactly what I did, went Rambo in the story missions and used the attack helicopter to clear out most forts to rack up resistance points to get to each boss as quickly as possible. The side missions were pure padding and boring as fuck.

That's exactly what I did, went Rambo in the story missions and used the attack helicopter to clear out most forts to rack up resistance points to get to each boss as quickly as possible. The side missions were pure padding and boring as fuck.

Some of the side quests were good. Others are things like "find 7 of this guys kids using a blurry photo in this massive region". I hated those quests. But some of them were okay.

Some of the side quests were good. Others are things like "find 7 of this guys kids using a blurry photo in this massive region". I hated those quests. But some of them were okay.

I also hate those kind of missions...there's 1 or 2 of those in Far Cry 6...they don't give you an exact location and you have to randomly discover them while doing other missions or exploring the map (or use a walkthrough)

So, I still haven't played 6, but that is the only one I haven't played (except the console only versions, which from what I read I haven't missed much)

The only games in the series I haven't liked thus far were 1, Blood Dragon and New Dawn. The rest were all enjoyable.

The highlights were Far Cry 3 and 4. Some were not quite as fun as others (like Primal) but still OK.

The formula: (repeatedly seize seemingly unimportant base alone that for some odd reason your little ragtag rebel army can't take without you) gets old after a few games in a row, but other than that I've enjoyed them.

it's been a while since I finished 5 and New Dawn now, so I am hoping that has been enough of a break that 6 can be at least mildly enjoyable.

So, I still haven't played 6, but that is the only one I haven't played (except the console only versions, which from what I read I haven't missed much)

The only games in the series I haven't liked thus far were 1, Blood Dragon and New Dawn. The rest were all enjoyable.

The highlights were Far Cry 3 and 4. Some were not quite as fun as others (like Primal) but still OK.

The formula: (repeatedly seize seemingly unimportant base alone that for some odd reason your little ragtag rebel army can't take without you) gets old after a few games in a row, but other than that I've enjoyed them.

it's been a while since I finished 5 and New Dawn now, so I am hoping that has been enough of a break that 6 can be at least mildly enjoyable.

I'd say 6 is overall a bit better than 5, and both are better than New Dawn. But it is still very much of the same old same old at this point. Laziness has clearly set in, with checkpoint designs being very lazy. I mean they look like real road checkpoints, but they aren't creative or fun in the slightest. In FC3 the majority of them were specifically designed around the various gameplay options. Not so in FC6.

I keep hearing good things about Far Cry 4...was it that good?...I thought it was another reskin of FC3 except in the Himalayas

I keep hearing good things about Far Cry 4...was it that good?...I thought it was another reskin of FC3 except in the Himalayas

Every game since FC3 followed the same basic template. FC4 added more climbing, and the world building was better than 5/ND and 6. The antagonist was also more interesting than 5/ND and 6. The gameplay overall as better to. FC3 is still the best for its times, but FC4 was good. FC5 is where it got stale and gameplay design regressed.

Every game since FC3 followed the same basic template. FC4 added more climbing, and the world building was better than 5/ND and 6. The antagonist was also more interesting than 5/ND and 6. The gameplay overall as better to. FC3 is still the best for its times, but FC4 was good. FC5 is where it got stale and gameplay design regressed.

Agreed. I mean, I remember thinking that FC4 was essentially a reskinned Himalayan FC3 at the time I played it, but despite the bad guy being kind of weird and out of place, the story still felt rich and it was enjoyable to play it.

The only thing that detracted from FC4 was that I had already played FC3, and recently at that. FC4 was definitely more fun than any FC since, and probably tied with FC3 for fun, once you discount the similarity in game play.

Last edited:
Agreed. I mean, I remember thinking that FC4 was essentially a reskinned Himalayan FC3 at the time I played it, but despite the bad guy being kind of weird and out of place, the story still felt rich and it was enjoyable to play it.

The only thing that detracted from FC4 was that I had already played FC3, and recently at that. FC4 was definitely more fun than any FC since, and probably tied with FC3 for fun, once you discount the similarity in game play.
FC4 added the single-seater helicopter/scooter thing which remains my favorite vehicle. The wingsuit, while not new, was pretty fun because the added elevation over FC3. The animals were also a highlight with the elephants and rhinos -fuck the eagles though.

Story/plot-wise it's pretty bland- the villain just taunts you endlessly via radio. I found there were some genuinely creepy moments in a few of the side missions (the masks for example) so it kept being interesting.

3 and 4 remain my favorites.

Far Cry 6 is free to play this weekend on Ubisoft Connect and Epic Game Store...I played it a few months back and had fun with it...typical Ubisoft open world...I enjoyed Far Cry 5's Montana religious cult setting better overall

Last edited:
The game had potential, but my biggest issue was that there was basically zero difficulty. Even with every setting maxed out, it was a snooze fest. Which, for a FPS, pretty much ruins it in my book.

Far Cry 6 is free to play this weekend on Ubisoft Connect and Epic Game Store...I played it a few months back and had fun with it...typical Ubisoft open world...I enjoyed Far Cry 5's Montana religious cult setting better overall
If we played any of the previous installments we’ve basically played this one? Not that that’s a bad thing…

If we played any of the previous installments we’ve basically played this one? Not that that’s a bad thing…

yes it's the same game in a new setting- fake Cuba...it's fun if you like the formula but starts to get boring around the mid-point and you just want the game to end

Cool. And yes - 3 was the game I was thinking about. I haven’t played any of them since 3 but 4 and 5 looked like the same game, different setting / plot.

I'm finally getting around to playing this.

Some thoughts:

• All the intros say "A Ubisoft Production". I always thought it would have been "An". This suggests they pronounce Ubisoft as "you-be-soft". I always assumed it was pronounced "ooh-be-soft". That's interesting. I guess a hazard of a hobby that is mostly communicated about in writing.
  • I'm pretty impressed with the game engine thus far. It runs very smoothly at 4k Ultra on my machine, and it doesn't do this by having shitty quality. It looks good. 4k Ultra gives me 70-80fps even with DXR effects enabled, and thats on an overclocked 6900xt. My only complaint would be that the built in benchmark in the video settings is a bit optimistic. It is not reflective of true in game load. I would subtract maybe 15% performance from th ebuilt in benchmark, to get a more realistic in game prediction. It also addresses things that have annoyed me in the past in both Far Cry and other titles, like why is my GPU at full load on Menu screens. In this game it goes down to near idle power usage when I hit esc, which is nice. I can hit esc, get up, do something else, without having more or less a space heater running.
  • I'm only on the first island thus far, but it seems they have toned down the whole "take base after base while knocking out alarms first" element of the previous Far Cry games. Sure, some of it is still there, but it feels less cookie cutter and more organic than in previous installments, which is good, because the Far Cry formula was starting to feel a little stale.
  • I haven't found it to be "anti-American" as some have suggested. The only comment in that direction was one of the characters (obfuscated to avoid spoilers) suggesting that someone shouldn't leave for the U.S. because "the American dream is only for Americans". That seems like a pretty mild ribbing in the grand scheme of things, especially coming from a character that is supposed to be a guerilla. No biggie at all. Given it's setting on a Cuba-like island, it would simply be unrealistic if there weren't at least some mild U.S.-Skepticism.
  • Doing one of the big early raids to the song "Bella Ciao" was seriously eye-roll inducing though. That's pretty much a 1960's communist revolutionary marching tune at this point. I guess it's fine if you are really into Che Guevara, but in 2022 if you are still into Che Guevara, you have some serious growing up to do. It doesn't seem at home among revolutionaries fighting for democracy, as they claim to be in this game. I'm not going to say I was "offended" but my eyes rolled back into my head further than at any time I can remember while playing games.
  • I think the whole criticism for the "gender non-binary" and "trans" thing is way overblown. Thus far one of the main revolutionary leaders might be non-binary, but they may just have an "in your face" clothing style. Even if it turns out they are later on, it's not like it is a main theme of the game. If your tolerance level for seeing a non-binary character portrayed in a game is that low, I'd suggest maybe it is you who are out of touch. In 2022, it would be odd to picture a revolutionary group of outcasts that did not contain at least a few LGBT folks. I mean, who do authoritarians generally go after first? The non-traditional non-conformists. Thus far at least, suffice it to say, this game is not pushing some sort of pro-trans agenda. It's just depicting the world the way it is, and the world the way it is contains lots of non-binary people.

Of course, all of these thoughts are based off of the first ~4 hours of game play. There is always the risk it takes a hard turn in the future, but thus far it feels to me like most of the criticisms are overblown.

I started my game in "guerilla" mode, the hardest difficulty, and thus far it has still been a little bit too easy.

I would have preferred the game if it were more gritty, realistic and challenging, omitting some of the silly custom improvised weapons, but it is still enjoyable.

I'm finally getting around to playing this.

Some thoughts:

I always pronounced it 'you-be-soft'...I played as female Dani as that seems the way the developers intended it...make sure to install the HD Texture Pack + enable ray-tracing...I thought the game looked great and was a lot of fun in the beginning but eventually the Ubisoft-ness of the game took over and was very repetitive...it's a fun game if you like the Ubisoft open world formula but I prefer Far Cry 5 with the Montana cultists over this one

I always pronounced it 'you-be-soft'...I played as female Dani as that seems the way the developers intended it...make sure to install the HD Texture Pack + enable ray-tracing...I thought the game looked great and was a lot of fun in the beginning but eventually the Ubisoft-ness of the game took over and was very repetitive...it's a fun game if you like the Ubisoft open world formula but I prefer Far Cry 5 with the Montana cultists over this one

I played as the male character.

As much as I sympathize with people struggling with gender dysphoria (that really has to suck), I am not one of them, and I prefer to play a character that matches my own as much as possible.

It hasn't caused any problems from what I can tell thus far.

I think it is great to give people a choice of who they play.

Last edited:
It's a French company, so it's "oo-bi-soft."

I've always used the pronunciation "oo-bee-soft" but I've heard different people even within their own videos pronouncing it different ways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always used the pronunciation "oo-bee-soft" but I've heard different people even within their own videos pronouncing it different ways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I pronounce it that way but I recall watching some Ubisoft reveals and the Ubisoft employed person said "You-be-soft" if I recall.

It's a French company, so it's "oo-bi-soft."

I have too, but the opening credits all say "A Ubisoft Production", so they must be pronouncing it "you-be-soft", otherwise it would be "An Ubisoft Production"

"A" before consonant-like sounds (even when they come from vowels) and "An" before vowel-like sounds (even if they come from consonants).

Either that, or whoever wrote the text for the intro sucks at grammar and no one caught it :p

I have too, but the opening credits all say "A Ubisoft Production", so they must be pronouncing it "you-be-soft", otherwise it would be "An Ubisoft Production"

"A" before consonant-like sounds (even when they come from vowels) and "An" before vowel-like sounds (even if they come from consonants).

Either that, or whoever wrote the text for the intro sucks at grammar and no one caught it :p

I laughed when I loaded up Far Cry 6 and saw the "A Ubisoft Original" pop up. Seems a bit narcissistic seeing how they plaster the logo at the start anyways. Likewise, it would be like branding something "A McDonald's Company". Not exactly a marker of quality. I'll still play Ubisoft games but they're all more or less the same general thing now, and nothing they do is really that great.

Watch their E3 confs, it's you-be-soft. Yves (CEO) appears at the 2 hour 19 mark.
This reminds me of the "En-vidia" vs "Nuh-vidia" debate.

Last edited:
Ugh

My game somehow entered 3rd person mode in a camp and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Any suggestions?

I can't seem to find any key combinations or menu choices that does it for me.

This is pretty much game ruining for me. I do not play 3rd person under any circumstance.

EDIT:
It seems like it is automatic and only in camps for some reason.

Please tell me there is a way to make it go away. I'm hating this with a fucking passion.

It's enough to make me want to quit the game, or at the very least never enter camps.

Last edited:
It seems like it is automatic and only in camps for some reason.

Please tell me there is a way to make it go away. I'm hating this with a fucking passion.

It's enough to make me want to quit the game, or at the very least never enter camps.

that's normal...it's only when you're in the various camps or using the Supremo weapon

that's normal...it's only when you're in the various camps or using the Supremo weapon

I can't understand why they would do something like that.

It is completely immersion breaking and just ruins the feel of the game.

It's awful.

You can't change it. Not much of a big deal, but yes it is annoying. 3rd person is good for story sequences but there isn't much story here so that is kind of a moot point.

Far Cry 6: Lost Between Worlds Announcement Trailer

Lost Between Worlds will be available on December 6th, starting at $19.99...Lost Between Worlds is a rich, action-packed gauntlet with deadly crystal enemies, multiple player paths, all-new lore, and a wide variety of unique gameplay challenges...additionally, a free update for Far Cry 6 is available now, which adds a New Game+ mode and Completionist Aid feature...

wish we could get DLSS added and game engine optimizations but ill settle for additional game play content!

has anyone ever forced re-bar support in this game? Did you have issues? I was forcing rebar, but just earlier I had my first FC6 CTD..... Removed rebar and played 30ish mins and no issue. Just wondering if anyone else had same issue if you force it.

Wonder if this DLC will be better than the other 3. The FC6 DLC was horrible. Had a crash in the ending mission, no saves. All DLC progress lost. No thanks.

Back