Far Cry 5 Officially Confirmed

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Ubisoft has announced that we will learn something about the next Far Cry game very soon, so expect some news on the fifth installment at E3. Companies need to stop with these lame announcements in which they have nothing to show other than a generic logo, but a past leak alludes to Far Cry 5 being set in the Wild West, which could make it a treat for Red Dead Redemption fans and other wannabe gunslingers.

Ubisoft has officially announced Far Cry 5, the newest entry in its open-world first-person shooter series. The game was revealed just before the company's earnings call, when it was also confirmed that it will be out during the current fiscal year, which end on March 31, 2018. There are no further details, so as of yet the location of Far Cry 5 and the time period it is set in remain a mystery. During the call, Ubisoft said we'll learn more about the game "very soon," which may point to an E3 reveal.

Fingers crossed that it isn't just another reskin of Far Cry 3. Would love to see them add real depth the game beyond simply assaulting and capturing enemy encampments.

They still have not topped the original.

This. I want a return to the original, without the stupidly difficult missions. Indeed, without the inside missions. I mean, for one mission you're in a room with no retreat and there are a dozen enemies on the other side of an open doorway. At the end you're in a room with a large number of mooks and cannot retreat.

They did. It's called Crysis.

I hated that suit.

Go ahead punk, make my day !!!! :):):)

You can't beat the old Clint Eastwood movies. I know, I know, the quote was from Dirty Harry, but it is so Clint !!

They still have not topped the original.

I couldn't disagree more. I like 3 and 4 more than FC1. FC1 was good but it falls apart pretty hard towards the end. Unlike 3 and 4, I rarely feel compelled to replay FC1 these days. Talking about FC5 makes me think I should reinstall 3 or 4 and play them again.

I couldn't disagree more. I like 3 and 4 more than FC1. FC1 was good but it falls apart pretty hard towards the end. Unlike 3 and 4, I rarely feel compelled to replay FC1 these days. Talking about FC5 makes me think I should reinstall 3 or 4 and play them again.

I have to agree with you. I REALLY enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4. I didn't like Primal so much mostly because I like weapons and the more modern setting. 3 had a great story imo and I could identify with the protagonist, and 4's gameplay expanded on 3 and did a lot of things right. I honestly really hope 5 isn't a fucking western. I got RDR to look forward to to get my western fix.

In regards to Far Cry 1; I think the reason people hold it in such high regard was it's because of nostalgia. I recently tried playing it again and I couldn't do it again; terrible voice-acting and corny as fuck story doesn't help but it was definitely the prettiest looking game for a long time when it released. I'll never forget playing that game for the first time. I had just bought a 6800GT and was so amazed at how it looked. I replayed it multiple times.

One thing they should carry over from Far Cry 1 is what Crysis 1 also did which is to make a linear-progression sandbox title. While I liked the open-world aspect of Far Cry 3 and 4 I would be much happier with a game like Crysis or Far Cry 1 where you have a massive open-world where you can approach objectives in different ways, but you still have a general direction to go instead of driving around for forever and fast-traveling here and there. Crysis is still imo the best example of this. I never felt restricted but I knew where to go.

Next up, Far Cry - ISIS edition.. But they have to navigate past the elevated wall, a moat filled with sharks with laser beams on their heads, and an electric fence to get into the goat pen for "hot gamer goat" and "first date penetration" steam achievement.

Sigh.. turning into Friday the 13th, Episode 104 sorta thing... Nevermind, Call of Duty already stole that...

I'll probably get it.....

In regards to Far Cry 1; I think the reason people hold it in such high regard was it's because of nostalgia. I recently tried playing it again and I couldn't do it again; terrible voice-acting and corny as fuck story doesn't help but it was definitely the prettiest looking game for a long time when it released. I'll never forget playing that game for the first time. I had just bought a 6800GT and was so amazed at how it looked. I replayed it multiple times.

One thing they should carry over from Far Cry 1 is what Crysis 1 also did which is to make a linear-progression sandbox title. While I liked the open-world aspect of Far Cry 3 and 4 I would be much happier with a game like Crysis or Far Cry 1 where you have a massive open-world where you can approach objectives in different ways, but you still have a general direction to go instead of driving around for forever and fast-traveling here and there. Crysis is still imo the best example of this. I never felt restricted but I knew where to go.

What made FC1 great when it came out was the draw distance and huge map. In FC1 you could choose (somewhat) what path you wanted to take. Most FPS's up to that point had been corridor-style and linear. Sniping people from a couple klicks away was mind blowing.

Didn't care for FC2 or 3 and never played 4. LOVE Crysis 1 and the semi-sequel Warhead though. They took the gameplay of the original and expanded on it; linear, but still with choices. FC2 and 3 were open map, more like a Grand Theft.

It's Ubisoft, the leading purveyor of "Over-promise, Over-hype; under-deliver" I have little faith that it will be worth more than $20 bucks. After completing the engaging campaign, The Division devolved into a never ending gear grind that had you at the mercy of RNG Jesus. Ghost Recon, cool idea, beautiful setting; boring rinse repeat missions. Ubisoft is creative poison.

Far Cry 1 and 3 were great. Never finished 2 because of the constant respawning, terrible map, driving, etc. Far Cry 4 and Primal were good but mostly mediocre and I doubt much changes with the next game.

I'd be more interested in another Blood Dragon game but Ubisoft said no to a sequel. :(

In regards to Far Cry 1; I think the reason people hold it in such high regard was it's because of nostalgia. I recently tried playing it again and I couldn't do it again; terrible voice-acting and corny as fuck story doesn't help but it was definitely the prettiest looking game for a long time when it released.

That was the best part! It was basically:

Generic 80s Action Movie: the Videogame

Pure gold!

What made FC1 great when it came out was the draw distance and huge map. In FC1 you could choose (somewhat) what path you wanted to take. Most FPS's up to that point had been corridor-style and linear. Sniping people from a couple klicks away was mind blowing.

Didn't care for FC2 or 3 and never played 4. LOVE Crysis 1 and the semi-sequel Warhead though. They took the gameplay of the original and expanded on it; linear, but still with choices. FC2 and 3 were open map, more like a Grand Theft.

The funny thing with me is that when I first tried Far Cry 3 I didn't like it. I made it in like 30 minutes and quit. When Far Cry 4 came out I got hooked on it which got me to go back and try Far Cry 3 and I ended up liking Far Cry 3 a lot more. The story, characters, and even the music was a lot better. Far Cry 2 I forgot about it. I tried playing it multiple times and was just bad imo.

The intro sequence to Far Cry 3 really did it for me.

Btw, watching this again really makes me appreciate just how good the cut-scene facial animations are on Vaas and everyone else... his face, mannerisms... I remember first seeing this scene it almost looked life-like. Say what you want about Ubisoft and the "Ubisoft open-world formula" they make a heluva fun game and a very pretty looking one too. Far Cry 3, 4, Primal, and even Far Cry 1 and 2 all have a tradition almost of being very good looking games. Nobody can deny the graphics are incredibly nice.

Warning: Spoilers if you never played Far Cry 3.

But this part of Far Cry 3 made me fall in love with it. The action + music was perfect.

Last edited:
Aside from respawning guards Far Cry 2 was my favorite. I liked he Africa setting. Far Cry 3 would be next on my list. Far Cry 1 was better if you take out the Trigens. I wouldn't mind a wild west setting, couldn't be any worse than Primal I guess.

Ubisoft has announced that we will learn something about the next Far Cry game very soon, so expect some news on the fifth installment at E3. Companies need to stop with these lame announcements in which they have nothing to show other than a generic logo, but a past leak alludes to Far Cry 5 being set in the Wild West, which could make it a treat for Red Dead Redemption fans and other wannabe gunslingers.

Ubisoft has officially announced Far Cry 5, the newest entry in its open-world first-person shooter series. The game was revealed just before the company's earnings call, when it was also confirmed that it will be out during the current fiscal year, which end on March 31, 2018. There are no further details, so as of yet the location of Far Cry 5 and the time period it is set in remain a mystery. During the call, Ubisoft said we'll learn more about the game "very soon," which may point to an E3 reveal.

These reveals take place during their earnings call. They're not trying to impress anyone aside from suits in a room who want to know if their stock is going to stay up. There's also rumors that Vivendi will be attempting a hostile takeover and Ubisoft is trying to make sure that doesn't happen.

What a coincidence to have a western-themed game the same year Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced.

I loved Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 was okay, and Primal just went off the rails. Not optimistic for anything Ubisoft releases anymore.

Aside from respawning guards Far Cry 2 was my favorite. I liked he Africa setting. Far Cry 3 would be next on my list. Far Cry 1 was better if you take out the Trigens. I wouldn't mind a wild west setting, couldn't be any worse than Primal I guess.

Aside from the guards respawning every time you drove 50ft away from where they were posted I always thought FC2 got more bad rap than it deserved. I loved how the weapons deteriorated after using them. It really provided an extra element to think about during combat. The size of the map was alright (I kinda enjoyed driving around everywhere while memorizing all the little shortcuts and alternate trail-blaze paths) and the terrain usually provided some good variety in how you attacked a target.

And diamonds.... gotta hunt dem diamonds.

Crysis and FarCry are vastly different games. Yes they are both shooters and they both have excellent gunplay but that's where the similatirites end. FarCry had much more open maps, more freedom, and vastly superior level design.

And as other's have said it, that suit is cancer.

FarCry had much more open maps, more freedom, and vastly superior level design.

I would highly disagree with all three of these comments, but we'll agree to disagree. You should go try playing Far Cry now and see if you'd feel the same. It's not the way I remembered it anyway. Besides, I was saying it in a more cavalier way in that they are both open-world shooters, were the benchmarks for graphics in their time... and aliens. Okay, so Far Cry had mutants but still as lame. The argument can be clearly made that Crysis is basically what FarCry was back when that released.

I just searched both Crysis and Far Cry and holy shit; they were only released within 3 years of each other. The massive jump in graphics from Far Cry and Crysis is insane... to the point where Crysis still holds up to this day. That was definitely a technical feat.

2004:

114272_1.png

2007:

crysis-1-screenshots-sstvoafn.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly really hope 5 isn't a fucking western. I got RDR to look forward to to get my western fix.

I really hope it is a western. I'm also looking forward to RDR2, but it's not going to do PC gamers much good since its PS4/Xbone only until we hear otherwise. It's been exactly seven years since RDR, and we still don't have any defining western on PC. It's about time someone challenged Take Two/Rockstar if they're going to continue to ignore PC.

It's a reasonable assumption that they're going to do their double-dip bullshit again like GTA5 (release on consoles first, then release on PC a year or more later) which is why they need some competition in this genre.

Last edited:
Far Cry 2, 3 and 4...most consistently disappointing sequels ever? Or does that crown belong to Just Cause? ROUND ONE. FIGHT.

I would highly disagree with all three of these comments, but we'll agree to disagree. You should go try playing Far Cry now and see if you'd feel the same. It's not the way I remembered it anyway. Besides, I was saying it in a more cavalier way in that they are both open-world shooters, were the benchmarks for graphics in their time... and aliens. Okay, so Far Cry had mutants but still as lame. The argument can be clearly made that Crysis is basically what FarCry was back when that released.

I just searched both Crysis and Far Cry and holy shit; they were only released within 3 years of each other. The massive jump in graphics from Far Cry and Crysis is insane... to the point where Crysis still holds up to this day. That was definitely a technical feat.
I think I played FarCry more recently than Crysis.

Yes FarCry looks very dated, even though back in 2004 it seemed amazing, but it's not about the graphics. Actuall Crysis Warhead is better than Crysis it went back to the basics of FarCry and as such it had the best of both. The only shame that it was so short.

As far as disagreements go, I find no appeal whatsoever in westerns. So this excites me about zero percent. About any other era or setting one could choose would be more preferable.

Far Cry 2, 3 and 4...most consistently disappointing sequels ever? Or does that crown belong to Just Cause? ROUND ONE. FIGHT.

Most consistently disappointing sequels can only go to one franchise... Resident Evil. Resident Evil 7 was great, but after Resident Evil Code Veronica everything went downhill for YEARS. Some argue that 4 is great but I don't agree.

In fact, Silent Hill could be put in there too. After Silent Hill 2 the series never recovered imo. Silent Hills was the last great hope for the series and now that Konami has gone fill retard that dream of a fresh start to Silent Hills is all but dead.

Last edited:
I love the series, but just finished Primal and have to say I'm Far Cry'ed out. It was a decent entry and I really appreciated the original setting (homo sapians vs home neaderthalis in the upper Paleolithic, essentially) and some of the new mechanics. That said, it's been the same basic game since FC2.

I played FC1 when it came out and it didn't stick with me at the time. I did, however, really enjoy FC 2,3, and 4. I haven't played primal. FC4 is my personal favorite for a number of reasons.

I played FC1 when it came out and it didn't stick with me at the time. I did, however, really enjoy FC 2,3, and 4. I haven't played primal. FC4 is my personal favorite for a number of reasons.

Yeah I loved fc4. The story was incredible, especially the twists at the end.

I wonder. What if FC5 were set not in the Wild West of North America, but the Wild West of South America - Argentina and Brazil?

I have great memories of FC 1 multiplayer assault matches when I owned a lan gaming center. Good Times!

Far Cry 1 is one of the best FPS games I've ever played, and one of my favourite games. However, I haven't been drawn into the Ubisoft Far Crys, beyond the 2nd one. I hope they come up with a new design for the 5th, that isn't the generic formula of 3, and 4.

The only similarities I see between the games is that the player takes high damage, have fast-depleting stamina, and they take place in a tropical setting. The gameplay (mostly), combat pacing, map designs, attitude, enemies, and story are extremely different, and they don't feel like the same game to me at all. Generally, I think Far Cry is a much more enjoyable game - even though I still like Crysis.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed that it isn't just another reskin of Far Cry 3. Would love to see them add real depth the game beyond simply assaulting and capturing enemy encampments.

This is Ubisoft we're talking about here. Temper your expectations.

Loved the original Far Cry, although nostalgia I'm sure makes me think it is better than it actually was... and lest not forgot the super monkeys that happened at the end... I mean serious WTF Crisis had weird ice crystal alien things and FC had super monkeys... *sigh*
Far Cry 2 had it's moments but overall seemed very tedious with the back and forth, they were pimping how large it was but it really was not used very well. Far Cry 3 was absolute gold, except for the whole mystical crap, just seemed too weird for the game, and I get they wanted the final boss to be something spectacular but fuck that let me snipe him from half a mile out. Far Cry 4 was more awesome, the mystical crap wasn't as horrible but still was a jesus christ not this crap again, moment. The Far Cry Primal came out, and that was a huge skip for me, I'm sure it was fun in it's own way but fuck that I want guns, infact even in FC3 & 4 I never wanted to use the bow and arrow bullshit (only when I had to on specific hunts).

So overall if they make a reskin of FC3 then I'm not going to be too disappointed, just hope they handle the "RPG" part of it a bit better., I don't want tattoos that give me skills or any of that crap.

Love FC3. Love FC4 even more. The characters, the dialogue, the region/world settings, the weapon and vehicle mechanics, et al.

FC1 was absolutely brilliant...until the cave when the game transitioned to having to defeat mutants. Really detracted away from the "realism" of the game atmosphere.

Started playing Primal, but I haven't fired it up for almost two months, and I'm not very far into the game progression. Just can't get into it...the gathering/crafting aspect is fuck-all boring and tedious; almost as much as FO4.

IMO, a wild west setting (if rumors are true) could make it a very cool addition to the franchise, but only if it's executed brilliantly.

Back