Far Cry 3 Performance on Nvidia cards

Yeah i know how to use FXAA, but i don't like it. I was wondering if there is anything else you can use on dx11 games.

Yeah i know how to use FXAA, but i don't like it. I was wondering if there is anything else you can use on dx11 games.

SMAA? If you still don't like that then you are out of luck.
The ingame fxaa isn't too shabby if you ask me. Not the best I'vs ever seen but it doesn't seem to blur which is nice.

Ppaa is getting better and better.. Best I've seen yet is probably Crysis 3

i just played for about an hour and a half. 1080p, everything on max, no aa, fps 50-70. i had fraps running but if didnt run a benchmark. cpu at 4.6, gpu at 680 clocks.

I recommend to all to upgrade to the new 310.70 beta drivers. Game runs smooth as silk now.

I recommend to all to upgrade to the new 310.70 beta drivers. Game runs smooth as silk now.

I still notice some stuttering here and there especially during firefights although my fps never dips below 50 during those scenes. Any idea on that?. Moreover Crysis 3 apparently features Advanced Graphics options where you can tweak every aspect of the game. Sure does show a lot of commitment from the developer`s side. I think this iteration of Crysis is gonna be epic.....

http://gamingbolt.com/crysis-3-pc-will-offer-full-advanced-graphics-options

Could be CPU usage.

I have everything maxed out, using HBAO and no AA.

I also loaded the Far Cry 3 profile in the Nvidia control panel. Looks and plays great.

Under manage 3D settings. Instead of using Global Settings go to Program Settings and select it from the drop down.

Depending on how you installed it (via hard copy or Steam) you may need to browse for the exe. Make sure you use the dx11 one. It says it in the name.

SMAA? If you still don't like that then you are out of luck.
The ingame fxaa isn't too shabby if you ask me. Not the best I'vs ever seen but it doesn't seem to blur which is nice.

Ppaa is getting better and better.. Best I've seen yet is probably Crysis 3

That sucks. But anyway im forcing FXAA through nvidia inspector now and its gotten rid of most of the jaggies so im happy enough with that.

Is anybody playing Assassins Creed 3 still or has it been completely shadowed by Far Cry 3 :D.....

Is this a NVIDIA problem or a problem with the game where sometimes the FPS dips down to an almost unplayable state, sometimes the FPS goes down to 15 FPS or less which is annoying.

Iv seen that occasionally as well. Il be in an area with no characters, animals, vehicles etc and for about 2 seconds it will take a massive fps drop. The only thing i can think off is that's its loading something and my hard drive cant keep up ( should have installed it to an ssd :( ). Im nearly at the end of the game now so its no big deal.

Iv seen that occasionally as well. Il be in an area with no characters, animals, vehicles etc and for about 2 seconds it will take a massive fps drop. The only thing i can think off is that's its loading something and my hard drive cant keep up ( should have installed it to an ssd :( ). Im nearly at the end of the game now so its no big deal.

My mate mentioned that and I don't get it. He is using a mechanical and I am using an SSD. You may be on to something. I'd test it but I don't have a mechanical to use.

What kind of video memory usage have you guys been seeing with the various AA settings on this game?

All @ 2560x1600 - Ultra Settings
With MSAA 8x - Around 2500mb - 2600mb (Still playable)
With MSAA 4x - Around 1500mb - 1700mb
With MSAA 2x - Around 1300mb

Is this a NVIDIA problem or a problem with the game where sometimes the FPS dips down to an almost unplayable state, sometimes the FPS goes down to 15 FPS or less which is annoying.

This has happened to me too. It happens alot when i try to redo the rakyat trial (silenced pistol, kill alot of people within time limit). Uplay overlay is buggy too- sometimes it just doesnt load at all.

Also I have other big issues- hbao and hdao are both bugged for me. HDAO darkens 1/3 of my screen: there's just a flat horizontal bar of shadow. HBAO gives me VERY noticeable darkened shadows around all objects- people and plants.

Still have that bug where the first shots fired from a firearm reduce fps by abit, this happens sporadically.

Ingame fire sometimes reduces fps to 15 when viewed closely.

Running 3930k @ 4.8' , three 680 classified in 3 way sli. 310.70 drivers,

Okay, at the risk of being laughed at, what kind of fps results might I expect playing at 4800x2560 using a 680 4G FTW?
(All my specs are current except for the GPU, which I need to update- no longer 2x6970 (Crossfire never really worked for me and one of the cards was faulty, so now one 680. Also now using 3x HPZR30w monitors)

Last edited:
This has happened to me too. It happens alot when i try to redo the rakyat trial (silenced pistol, kill alot of people within time limit). Uplay overlay is buggy too- sometimes it just doesnt load at all.

Also I have other big issues- hbao and hdao are both bugged for me. HDAO darkens 1/3 of my screen: there's just a flat horizontal bar of shadow. HBAO gives me VERY noticeable darkened shadows around all objects- people and plants.

Still have that bug where the first shots fired from a firearm reduce fps by abit, this happens sporadically.

Ingame fire sometimes reduces fps to 15 when viewed closely.

Running 3930k @ 4.8' , three 680 classified in 3 way sli. 310.70 drivers,

I have and had some of the same issues here.

For the 1/3rd screen darkened when enabling HDAO. Enable it in the game, and you'll get that 1/3rd screen issue. I was able to exit out and come back in and it's been gone in the last few play throughs.

Also. I had the same shooting bug with low FPS with 310.70 drivers. Turns out I had an older version hanging out there somewhere so I removed all of the Nvidia stuff from my box and ran driver cleaner. Rebooted a ton of times and reinstalled 310.70. All the shooting stuff went away.

Okay, at the risk of being laughed at, what kind of fps results might I expect playing at 4800x2560 using a 680 4G FTW?
(All my specs are current except for the GPU, which I need to update- no longer 2x6970 (Crossfire never really worked for me and one of the cards was faulty, so now one 680. Also now using 3x HPZR30w monitors)

If you are just using one card it won't run well. I was barely able to hang on to 60fps with one 2560x1600 monitor. I had vsync on and everything max except 4xMSAA. Still had a little bit of stuttering now and again, but it was playable... and that is with 4x 670 4GB FTW's

I have and had some of the same issues here.

For the 1/3rd screen darkened when enabling HDAO. Enable it in the game, and you'll get that 1/3rd screen issue. I was able to exit out and come back in and it's been gone in the last few play throughs.

Also. I had the same shooting bug with low FPS with 310.70 drivers. Turns out I had an older version hanging out there somewhere so I removed all of the Nvidia stuff from my box and ran driver cleaner. Rebooted a ton of times and reinstalled 310.70. All the shooting stuff went away.

Hmm, Did you physically remove the cards from the pc after uninstallation of the old drivers before cleaning the registry? Not really looking forward to that if it's the case.

I manually remove all folders and clean the registry in safe mode before installing new drivers., not sure how much more I can do.

Oh and im running at 2560x1600, all settings maxed, 4xmsaa.

Hmm, Did you physically remove the cards from the pc after uninstallation of the old drivers before cleaning the registry? Not really looking forward to that if it's the case.

I manually remove all folders and clean the registry in safe mode before installing new drivers., not sure how much more I can do.

Oh and im running at 2560x1600, all settings maxed, 4xmsaa.

No I didn't pull my cards out. Just uninstalled the 310.70 and the 304.xx drivers I had hanging around then rebooted a bunch to make sure it was all gone and put back the 310.70 drivers.

Hello HOCP, if somebody could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it

2560x1600, two 670's OC to 1240mhz, 2500k at 4.5ghz, 310.70 drivers fresh install of Windows 8

FC3 settings = Ultra, HBAO, VSYNC OFF, MSAA 2x, 2560x1600

I just bought FC3 and did the first few missions....now I'm set loose and able to do whatever I want. I have noticed the FPS considerably drop off while fighting baddies....like it goes from 60 to 20 as soon as I start firing my AK-47....while walking along the beach or streets, I'm usually holding 50-60fps with no problems....very smooth and feels like a well optimized game....but I just don't understand the huge tank in FPS while fighting baddies....I can understand it dropping a few fps, but something definitely feels wrong going from 60 to 20fps

I've tried going from 2x MSAA to no MSAA...it still lags while fighting baddies...I also dropped it from ULTRA to VERY HIGH, and I still experience this while fighting baddies...Heck, I even went so far to try it on MEDIUM, and I still get a similar result, albeit its not as bad, but the FPS does tank only while fighting (melee) and firing my AK-47....is there something I am missing? I bought FC3 to treat myself for the weekend, but now I'm crippled since the game is unplayable when fighting

Hello HOCP, if somebody could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it

2560x1600, two 670's OC to 1240mhz, 2500k at 4.5ghz, 310.70 drivers fresh install of Windows 8

FC3 settings = Ultra, HBAO, VSYNC OFF, MSAA 2x, 2560x1600

I just bought FC3 and did the first few missions....now I'm set loose and able to do whatever I want. I have noticed the FPS considerably drop off while fighting baddies....like it goes from 60 to 20 as soon as I start firing my AK-47....while walking along the beach or streets, I'm usually holding 50-60fps with no problems....very smooth and feels like a well optimized game....but I just don't understand the huge tank in FPS while fighting baddies....I can understand it dropping a few fps, but something definitely feels wrong going from 60 to 20fps

I've tried going from 2x MSAA to no MSAA...it still lags while fighting baddies...I also dropped it from ULTRA to VERY HIGH, and I still experience this while fighting baddies...Heck, I even went so far to try it on MEDIUM, and I still get a similar result, albeit its not as bad, but the FPS does tank only while fighting (melee) and firing my AK-47....is there something I am missing? I bought FC3 to treat myself for the weekend, but now I'm crippled since the game is unplayable when fighting

Have you tried reducing the in game Frame buffer setting to 1 or turn it off altogether?.... But that said this game is insanely demanding even with SLI rigs at 1440p. By the way out of curiosity what kinda rig do you have?. Specs?

Have you tried reducing the in game Frame buffer setting to 1 or turn it off altogether?.... But that said this game is insanely demanding even with SLI rigs at 1440p. By the way out of curiosity what kinda rig do you have?. Specs?

the frame buffer setting is at 1, which is default and I never touched it

my rig specs are listed above as well = 2560x1600, two 670's OC to 1240mhz, 2500k at 4.5ghz, 310.70 drivers fresh install of Windows 8

I also have 8gb of gskill performance RAM and a crucial m4 SSD....yes I know 1600p is demanding, but it makes no sense to me for the game to drop to 20fps all of a sudden while fighting baddies....I could fire my AK in the sky and maintain 60fps....I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's certainly pissing me off, that I spent $60 for this game and its completely broken

the frame buffer setting is at 1, which is default and I never touched it

my rig specs are listed above as well = 2560x1600, two 670's OC to 1240mhz, 2500k at 4.5ghz, 310.70 drivers fresh install of Windows 8

I also have 8gb of gskill performance RAM and a crucial m4 SSD....yes I know 1600p is demanding, but it makes no sense to me for the game to drop to 20fps all of a sudden while fighting baddies....I could fire my AK in the sky and maintain 60fps....I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's certainly pissing me off, that I spent $60 for this game and its completely broken

I had this same problem and posted what worked for me above. I have four 670's and every time I fired my fun @ 2560x1600 the game would crawl. Now I play flawlessly.

I'm running on 480 SLI and I had the slowdown bug too when shooting at a lot of enemies at once. After playing around a bit, I discovered that the problem disappeared if I disabled the in-game MSAA and instead forced it through the control panel. I went from 4x in-game to 16x forced and ended up with even higher fps than before. :eek: DX11, Ultra settings, no Vsync, average fps in the 70s. GPU1 average temp, 98c :cool: Buuurrrrn baby buuurrrrrn.

310.70 drivers here as well.

I'm running on 480 SLI and I had the slowdown bug too when shooting at a lot of enemies at once. After playing around a bit, I discovered that the problem disappeared if I disabled the in-game MSAA and instead forced it through the control panel. I went from 4x in-game to 16x forced and ended up with even higher fps than before. DX11, Ultra settings, no Vsync, average fps in the 70s. GPU1 average temp, 98c Buuurrrrn baby buuurrrrrn.

Does forcing AA in the Control Panel even work with this game because I tried it on my rig and forcing it does not make a difference at all, looks the same as no AA to me.

Forcing AA does not work on DX10 and DX11 games ( look at page 2 on this thread and then just google it for confirmation ). From what iv read and i don't know if its true but DX10+ games must be written to accept the different kinds of AA and if they haven't then you cant force it. Iv tried all the AA settings in nvidia inspector for far cry 3 and couldn't notice a difference between them. Your choice is use the inbuilt AA in the game or force a post process AA like FXAA.

Last edited:
Forcing AA does not work on DX10 and DX11 games ( look at page 2 on this thread and then just google it for confirmation ). From what iv read and i don't know if its true but DX10+ games must be written to accept the different kinds of AA and if they haven't then you cant force it. Iv tried all the AA settings in nvidia inspector for far cry 3 and couldn't notice a difference between them. Your choice is use the inbuilt AA in the game or force a post process AA like FXAA.

Do you see any difference between FXAA and MSAA in game?. I am pretty sure FXAA consumes much less resources and ups the fps a bit. I myself have not tried it, but I am thinking about it now that this topic came into picture.

There is a difference but not as much as i thought there was going to be. FXAA normally blurs everything so much i cant use it but in this game it seemed okay and got rid of most of the jaggies.

If you've got frames to spare then use MSAA, if not FXAA is okay as its definitely less of a performance hit than MSAA while still producing a decent result. Its something you will need to test for yourself though.

Been having a lot of graphical glitches lately where the whole screen F's up. Only way to stop it is to close the game completely.

is your graphics card overclocked? if it is set it back to stock clocks i hear allot of people have been having allot of issues with their OC's with this game, specifically kepler cards

It's overclocked a little, I might have to do that, because it's getting annoying after an hour or so of play the graphics F up badly. Latest was the characters started shaking uncontrollably.

i get the character shaking. its not a gpu issue its more of a software bug. also if you are willing to, disable aero that fixed all my in game driver crashing with bf3, tw2, and this game. for some reason aero and multi screen display while having a 3d game being rendered doesnt mix well

I'm running on 480 SLI and I had the slowdown bug too when shooting at a lot of enemies at once. After playing around a bit, I discovered that the problem disappeared if I disabled the in-game MSAA and instead forced it through the control panel. I went from 4x in-game to 16x forced and ended up with even higher fps than before. :eek: DX11, Ultra settings, no Vsync, average fps in the 70s. GPU1 average temp, 98c :cool: Buuurrrrn baby buuurrrrrn.

I had 470s in SLI running at 91-92 degrees OC'd to 730 MHz...I think this game killed my video card cause one of 470s stopped working. Oh well, I went out and bought two 670s running in SLI...so much cooler and quieter...it was worth it...

I had 470s in SLI running at 91-92 degrees OC'd to 730 MHz...I think this game killed my video card cause one of 470s stopped working. Oh well, I went out and bought two 670s running in SLI...so much cooler and quieter...it was worth it...

more like heat killed the card... grats on the 670 sli though :D... ill do sli next year when prices drop more... this game seriously needs sli/crossfire to be able to max it though what a trip lol

Back