Far Cry 3 Performance on Nvidia cards

I'm currently running this setup:
Corsair AX1200 PSU
3770K @ 4.5GHZ with H100
2 X Asus 680 Top Editions(mild OC +20 on core and mem)
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHZ 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Ram
Windows 7
Catleap 27" screen 2560x1440.
Logitech 5.1 surround.

Using the current Beta drivers from Nvidia.

Running at 2560x1440, with the ultra preset in the video quality menu, with 2xMSAA(ingame option), and VSYNC(60) enabled,HBAO(HDAO gives me black bar at bottom of screen) i sit at pretty much a solid 60, with very occassional dips to 50's.
If i change to 4xMSAA(which id like to run) im dipping in the the low to mid 50's fairly often, with occasional dips to mid to high 40's.
The thing is, when even dropping to 50's the game stutters alot, and is very noticeable, unlike in other games drops to 50's usually you can hardly notice, it seems weird to me.
Though from 2xmsaa to 4xmsaa at this res, doesnt seem to be much of an increase in quality anyway.

Has anyone tried forcing AF through control panel? Is it worth turning down PostFX to increase FPS?

Corsair AX1200 PSU
3770K @ 4.5GHZ with H100
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Windows 7
Logitech 5.1 surround.

Running at 2560x1440, with the ultra preset in the video quality menu, with 2xMSAA(ingame option), and VSYNC(60) enabled,HBAO(HDAO gives me black bar at bottom of screen) i sit at pretty much a solid 60, with very occassional dips to 50's.
If i change to 4xMSAA(which id like to run) im dipping in the the low to mid 50's fairly often, with occasional dips to mid to high 40's.
The thing is, when even dropping to 50's the game stutters alot, and is very noticeable, unlike in other games drops to 50's usually you can hardly notice, it seems weird to me.
Though from 2xmsaa to 4xmsaa at this res, doesnt seem to be much of an increase in quality anyway.

Turn on hdao, then quit to desktop and restart game. HDAO is the best looking AO for this game, all the others suck.

As for the stutter, that's microstutter. I get it even at 56 fps, or whenever vsync is disabled.

This game, for how it looks, is quite poorly optimized for pc with multiple graphics bugs and issues. I still cant get the ubishit overlay to work consistently, and repeating a trial of rakyat will almost always cause my fps to drop to 20s unless i restart the game (this is a known issue now, confirmed at the nvidia forums). Loads of texture bugs with blood and burnt grass (oh yeah and the low resolution textures).

All in all Dunia II is just a badly modified CryEngine 1. CryEngine was known for its efficiency -looking amazing even on lower settings. This is just a piece of crap (for example that shitty depth of field you see when you are leaving a cave setting makes me cringe).

This game is just not GPU efficient, it's almost like they purposely made it bad so they could say - "OH LOOK, our MODERN engine can bring even the most powerful system to its knees!"

Gameplay is decent.

Last edited:
Loads of texture bugs with blood and burnt grass (oh yeah and the low resolution textures)...This is just a piece of crap (for example that shitty depth of field you see when you are leaving a cave setting makes me cringe).

This game is just not GPU efficient, it's almost like they purposely made it bad so they could say - "OH LOOK, our MODERN engine can bring even the most powerful system to its knees!"
Gameplay is decent.

I for one think this is a good looking game but the demand on my system and the looks of this game don't seem to jive...all the things above are true...a lot of texture bugs and depth of field was poorly executed. Overall, Crysis 2 looks better in my opinion (not in everything but most) and runs super smooth. I'm getting pretty steady framerates but the occassional dip to 45-50 FPS (usually lasts like 10 seconds) seems completely random. It may be due to the drivers.

We'll see. :) The important thing is that it runs good on all hardware. I've seen lots of "the way its ment to be played" titles performing better on AMD hardware and visa versa. Showdown is more fun to read and great to keep the competition up to benifit us users. :D

This amd game seems to run better on Nvidia hardware.

Turn on hdao, then quit to desktop and restart game. HDAO is the best looking AO for this game, all the others suck.

As for the stutter, that's microstutter. I get it even at 56 fps, or whenever vsync is disabled.

This game, for how it looks, is quite poorly optimized for pc with multiple graphics bugs and issues. I still cant get the ubishit overlay to work consistently, and repeating a trial of rakyat will almost always cause my fps to drop to 20s unless i restart the game (this is a known issue now, confirmed at the nvidia forums). Loads of texture bugs with blood and burnt grass (oh yeah and the low resolution textures).

All in all Dunia II is just a badly modified CryEngine 1. CryEngine was known for its efficiency -looking amazing even on lower settings. This is just a piece of crap (for example that shitty depth of field you see when you are leaving a cave setting makes me cringe).

Gameplay is decent.

Ah thanks will try the HDAO thing tonight, and i agree with the rest of your post also.

Corsair AX1200 PSU
3770K @ 4.5GHZ with H100
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Windows 7
Logitech 5.1 surround.

Same here, the micro stutter is sometimes nauseating...I hope they patch this or fix this in the next drivers.

I also have the horrendous microstutter on my 680. Its a game breaking experience for me since I am sensitive to even the slightest of fps drops even 60-59 :D, so this just sucks imo. I thought Assassins Creed 3 atleast would be brilliantly executed but that was also a disappointment on the graphics department, Huge fps drops, horrible GPU usage, random stutters. Have been craving to play an epic game both graphically and story wise (SP and MP) since Battlefield 3. Hope Crysis 3 lives up to my expectation.:D, looking at the way its shaping up, I think its gonna blow my mind.

Gameplay is decent.

Enabling HDAO then quitting worked, thanks heaps for that, also it looks alot better too, and without any noticeable affects to performance at all, cheers.:)

1080p is a piece of cake for me, 2560x1440 is a whole different ball game(not sure if your aware the difference in requirements)

I am aware of that but you got 2x GTX680 and on that resolution should be np. so I still don't understand your fps problem.
Might be the Nvidia drivers still not optimized for this game or some shit.

In my previous SLI experience never was 100% satisfied with certain games, not reaching high fps and smooth gameplay so only have 1 powerful GPU and overclock the shit out of it. Since then no more issues. My monitor max res is 1080p so my next build will have a much bigger screen & res and by that time there will be a new single GPU king which will be enough for a higher resolution :p

I am aware of that but you got 2x GTX680 and on that resolution should be np. so I still don't understand your fps problem.

In my previous SLI experience never was 100% satisfied with certain games, not reaching high fps and smooth gameplay so only have 1 powerful GPU and overclock the shit out of it. Since then no more issues. My monitor max res is 1080p so my next build will have a much bigger screen & res and by that time there will be a new single GPU king which will be enough for a higher resolution :p

There will also be new games aswell, requiring better hardware.
Yes you will be able to max out current games at a higher res on the new gpu's, but goodluck maxing future games.

Don't know why all of you with such powerful rigs can't get good fps. I have np with this after tweaking abit with the gamerprofile.xml file. Here is some videos I uploaded of me testing single player and multiplayer.
SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKMXk8_AyM
MP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRUYmBAOvo

Hey Klapcos, what kind of tweaking did you do...according to [H]'s Performance Review of this game your rig should be averaging "around" 30 FPS maxed out. I recognize you OC'd your video card and CPU but can it an additional 30-50 FPS "steady" throughout the game? It just doesn't seem to add up. I watched your youtube clip but you don't show us the resolution HDAO setting and anti aliasing so I'm kind of curious...

Last edited:
Hey Klapcos, what kind of tweaking did you do...according to [H]'s Performance Review of this game your rig should be averaging "around" 30 FPS maxed out. I recognize you OC'd your video card and CPU but can it an additional 30-50 FPS "steady" throughout the game? It just doesn't seem to add up. I watched your youtube clip but you don't show us the resolution HDAO setting and anti aliasing so I'm kind of curious...

I used HBAO. I tweaked the SSAO level to be 6 and no AA, turned off PostFX, set it to disabled as this includes blur which I have always hated for many years in FPS games - my own preference and if it doesn't count or some shit, don't care. If I wanted to use AA I would of had build a different rig in mind to handle this. My rig will handle it only in certain games (racing, RPG's) but as a rule of thumb for myself I never use AA and NO VSYNC in FPS games single player or multi player because of the fast paced gaming I do and don't see the nice smooth edges anyway or don't focus on that anyway.
And I will be making new videos without MSI Afterburner video capture. Getting my Avermedia Live Gamer HD tomorrow or monday. This won't drop my frames and can make better in-game videos. I'm only gonna make the next vids with the capture card now so won't have fps impact while recording 1080p 30fps Will post new vids next week.

According to what you searched on average fps for a certain game and rig ([H]'s Performance Review of this game) is completely wrong. I tweak and overclock since the late 90's so I know what I'm doing on my end... what you find online about pc specs and builds are all DEFAULT with little to no modifications done to the OS, drivers, bios etc I can go on and on. Same goes for the game in question.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing man. I look forward to seeing more of your videos

No I don't think you understand how resolution and sli scaling affects fps. At all.

Also his magical "tweaks" consist of turning off some gpu intensive settings, such as no msaa and postfx. Also using an inferior form of AO (at least for this game).

Last edited:
No I don't think you understand how resolution and sli scaling affects fps. At all.

Also his magical "tweaks" consist of turning off some gpu intensive settings, such as no msaa and postfx. Also using an inferior form of AO (at least for this game).

HBAO is not inferior...the devs didn't do a good job of implementing this proper in this game and people resort to HDAO.
"HDAO" is, atleast that which ATi demoed, being done on ComputeShaders. So recommended for ATI cards. You can run it on your Nvidia card and get better visuals but will drag your nvidia card to the ground. If they had just implemented the HBAO proper we wouldn't have this issue.
Yeah I can't disable motion blur without disable some FX settings but blur in FPS is a fucking no for me.
This one I used and see the difference for yourselves.
http://www.gamefront.com/far-cry-3-pc-tweak-guide/
http://www.thebitbag.com/2012/12/08/cry-3-tweaks-guide-graphics-performance/

Will still uploade new videos with a dedicated capture card of my game settings on 1080p 30fps next week.:D

Last edited:
HBAO is not inferior...the devs didn't do a good job of implementing this proper in this game and people resort to HDAO.
"HDAO" is, atleast that which ATi demoed, being done on ComputeShaders. So recommended for ATI cards. You can run it on your Nvidia card and get better visuals but will drag your nvidia card to the ground. If they had just implemented the HBAO proper we wouldn't have this issue.
Yeah I can't disable motion blur without disable some FX settings but blur in FPS is a fucking no for me.
This one I used and see the difference for yourselves.
http://www.gamefront.com/far-cry-3-pc-tweak-guide/
http://www.thebitbag.com/2012/12/08/cry-3-tweaks-guide-graphics-performance/

Will still uploade new videos with a dedicated capture card of my game settings on 1080p 30fps next week.:D

That's why I said, "at least for this game".

HDAO in this game does not drag your fps to the ground. 3-8 fps drop vs hbao for me. Sometimes not at all.

No microstuttering here but keeping the framerate locked @ 60fps has been challenging, with my current settings it mostly stays at 60 but ever since I got to the 2nd island it will sometimes drop to the low 50's / upper 40s.

One of the biggest offenders is PostFX which is a shame, I prefer the IQ it gives with the High and up settings, my current setting of Medium has a noticeable drop in IQ but a much more stable framerate.

I forced triple buffering via D3DOverider, added MaxFPS="60" to the gamerprofile.xml (Have to set the .xmle as Read Only afterwards or maxfps line will disappear when exiting farcry) It's worth noting SSAO has the best performance but the shadows seem over exaggerated in a lot of areas.

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 12GB / GTX 480 @ 800 / 1900 / 370.10 driver / 1920x1080

Edit: To those seeing a black bar after enabling HDAO you have to exit / restart FarCry3 and it will go away.

My current settings:

jnx6o.jpg

ZhGrQ.jpg

No microstuttering here but keeping the framerate locked @ 60fps has been challenging, with my current settings it mostly stays at 60 but ever since I got to the 2nd island it will sometimes drop to the low 50's / upper 40s.

One of the biggest offenders is PostFX which is a shame, I prefer the IQ it gives with the High and up settings, my current setting of Medium has a noticeable drop in IQ but a much more stable framerate.

I forced triple buffering via D3DOverider, added MaxFPS="60" to the gamerprofile.xml (Have to set the .xmle as Read Only afterwards or maxfps line will disappear when exiting farcry) It's worth noting SSAO has the best performance but the shadows seem over exaggerated in a lot of areas.

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 12GB / GTX 480 @ 800 / 1900 / 370.10 driver / 1920x1080

Edit: To those seeing a black bar after enabling HDAO you have to exit / restart FarCry3 and it will go away.

Try playing around with gpu pre-rendered frames. I got higher fps and less stutter with it at 0.

Shadow quality and vegetation are also fps killers, so try lowering shadow first as the impact is minimal (shadows suck in this game regardless). Alpha to coverage is also something with minimal impact if lowered down (just turn it off completely and see if you notice a difference, its basically AA for foliage, and since you have AA turned off competely..)

Disable triple buffering. Doesn't work if you forced through nvidia cp (heck it doesnt work for me even if i force through NVinspector).

Last edited:
Try playing around with gpu pre-rendered frames. I got higher fps and less stutter with it at 0.

Shadow quality and vegetation are also fps killers, so try lowering shadow first as the impact is minimal (shadows suck in this game regardless). Alpha to coverage is also something with minimal impact if lowered down (just turn it off completely and see if you notice a difference, its basically AA for foliage, and since you have AA turned off competely..)

Disable triple buffering. Doesn't work if you forced through nvidia cp (heck it doesnt work for me even if i force through NVinspector).

Thanks I'll give those suggestions a try, triple buffering definately works for me when forced through D3DOverider, Without it I'm stuck @ 30fps most the time.

Corsair AX1200 PSU
3770K @ 4.5GHZ with H100
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Windows 7
Logitech 5.1 surround.

I have the exact same setup as yours, but with 2 2GB 680. I dip into the 50s during gunfights at 4x MSAA 1080p.
I do however feel that the game is badly optimised. The graphics don't mirror the performance hit.
Also, I don't quite get why the game stutters so much when I'm at 56 fps... It feels like 30...

I have the exact same setup as yours, but with 2 2GB 680. I dip into the 50s during gunfights at 4x MSAA 1080p.
I do however feel that the game is badly optimised. The graphics don't mirror the performance hit.
Also, I don't quite get why the game stutters so much when I'm at 56 fps... It feels like 30...

Yeah dude i feel your pain also, in my opinion, the game does look pretty amazing in parts, though in general doesnt justify the requirements, and im the same with being just below 60 feels terrible, it seems we are all in the same boat here.

Force vsync via the driver instead of using ingame vsync? No stutter here.
Interestingly the ingame vsync stutter only occured after a game update - in the beginning it was fine.

I resolved my stutter issues by turning off ingame vsync aswell as driver vsync. Direc3d overrider vsync is the only thing that gives me a smooth tear/stutter free experience.

On a side note I cannot seem to get AF to work. When I force it through Nvidia control panel it dosent appear to have any affect on the game. Am I missing somthing?

This game really does have strange framerate issues. First, the game sometimes randomly freeze for a couple of seconds and secondly, the game decides to drop down to 12 FPS and stays there, with my sig rig. Not sure if its an NVIDIA driver problem or is Ubisoft to blame.

This game really does have strange framerate issues. First, the game sometimes randomly freeze for a couple of seconds and secondly, the game decides to drop down to 12 FPS and stays there, with my sig rig. Not sure if its an NVIDIA driver problem or is Ubisoft to blame.

Ubisoft. When you drop down to 12 fps is it usually right after completing, or retrying a trial of Rakyat? (Those red stones). Another time it happens is around the bandit camps, or (once for me) when the sun was coming up :rolleyes:

It usually goes away after I fast travel to a reclaimed bandit camp, save, quit and restart at that save point.

Is it just me or the the 310.70 drivers wreck performance in Far Cry 3 and AC3?... mine plays like shit after this driver update. Moreover when I revert back to older drivers I get the same thing.... Far Cry 3 has horrendous stutter and mad GPU usage and AC3 plays worse than previous drivers....

Specs in my sig: For me, basically using SSAO made gameplay smooth, vs. HDAO which was choppy (studder). I also dropped Shadows down to "High" from "Ultra". This produces consistent 50 FPS or higher with a few dips. This is with 2x AA, Enhanced Alpha Coverage.

660 Ti here.

Is it just me or the the 310.70 drivers wreck performance in Far Cry 3 and AC3?... mine plays like shit after this driver update. Moreover when I revert back to older drivers I get the same thing.... Far Cry 3 has horrendous stutter and mad GPU usage and AC3 plays worse than previous drivers....

The new drivers caused me to lower my over clock a bit to keep from crashing :(

Well, bought the FC3 deluxe version yesterday. Got the 310.70's non-whql drivers....With my setup, it's running ok....but damn having a 30" monitor...I really want to upgrade my 580's, but I want to wait for the 7 series GTX cards.

I definitely had to dial back the video quality setting to very high and forgo ultra. I have hbao on and msaa off. At 2560x1600 with these settings I usually hover in the 40's which is doable for me, although I would like to be closer to 50-60. Game still looks beautiful. So tempted to throw a 690gtx into my rig, but I don't find it very appealing to shell out almost a grand to be able to play FC3 at 60fps

Moving to the newest NV drivers fixed a good bit of the stuttering for me. Also I set the Render ahead = 0 and vsync to off. In the gameconfig file I setmaxfps=60

Almost perfectly smooth at near ultra

Back