• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Far Cry 2 surround issues

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Messages
8,936
Sorry for yet another Far Cry 2 thread but I am not sure I get my X-fi working properly... With my 5.1 speakers running the intro sequence in the jeep the speech is through my rear speakers??? Not from the front as you could expect.
 
Is there support for straight 5.1 surround sound in the game's audio settings? (I'll get the game eventually...)
 
I take that for granted though there is no list where you choose your audio gear... I got Warhead today as well and that surround is just killer. It also have no sound settings whatsoever. I don´t think you can release an AAA title 2008 without surround support...
 
I like when games allow you to select what type of audio one would prefer.
 
i'll test the surround later today with my 5.1 and post back.
 
I'm pretty sure 5.1 works. I'm playing in Vista 32-bit and have a Creative SB Audigy 2 card.
 
ive noticed to that the surrond doesnt work with my x-fi. i can enable cmss surround but i don think thats true 5.1. crysis and warhead have awesome 5.1 audio without having to enable cmss
 
I still can't get surround sound with my Audigy 2 in this game running in Vista (32 bit). I've tried the latest drivers from Creative; both stable and betas, tried using both the Windows sound manager and the Creative Audio Console to configure the speaker setup (using analog output to 5.1 computer speaker kit), tried re-enabling "sound optimization" discussed here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1821007696/m/9761068696

and I've had no success with ANYTHING. If I try to use anything but stereo sound, I just can't hear any sound from some directions. For instance, if I try to use 5.1, I get nothing from the center channel. I can't hear any of the radios in the game while looking directly at them, but I can hear them if I turn to one side or the other. I can't hear the sound of my weapons reloading. I can't hear the sound of the machete hitting any objects, and I can't hear the voices of NPCs if I'm looking directly at them or if they're behind me.

And stereo sound just sounds AWFUL. It's almost impossible to, for example, locate snipers this way.

Anyone got any ideas?
 
Get an X-Fi or a pair of headphones lol. I hear the sniper fine with an x-fi and jvc x900s. Firefights are fun in that game. You have to listen b/c it is so hard to see.
 
Heh, I'm not buying a new sound card just for one game. It works fine in almost every other game I have.

Unfortunately, headphones don't really help with the positional sound.

The weird thing is that the entire sound subsystem is affected, not just the game. As long as Far Cry 2 is running, I can alt-enter or alt-esc out of the game, try another app, and the center channel is still gone until I quit Far Cry 2!

I'm gonna tinker around with my onboard sound on my mobo, but this sucks :(

Any ideas on a solution are appreciated.
 
To get true 5.1 surround working open:

...\Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\SoundBinary\DARE.INI

and change this line:

DISABLE_OPTIMISATION=FALSE

Job done!

8)
 
The alchemy solution combined with the DDL pack from creative (yeah, its $4.72 and no, you can't get it for free) solved my problem. This had to be the worst positional sound I had experienced in a game in a long time. Tried everything, edited dare.ini, no luck. Alchemy is the only thing that kept me from having to play out the rest of the game, standing still at the beginning of a firefight, so that I could tell what direction my attacker were in.
 
is this a just a 5.1 issue? I don't have this problem in FC2 with 4.1
 
Back
Top