Fans and component cabinet question

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
hi im looking for information regarding installation of fans into component cabinets like stereo cabinets.

the type of information would be, what kind of transformers are ok for this type of application ( 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm fan sizes )

i was recommended 12v 500milliamp transformers. are there sites i can read to get a little more indepth information on this kind of installation/application?

thanks !

Huh ? ok most computer fans are DC voltage, a transformer will reduce the AC voltage down but its still AC and will burn up a DC fan.

There are AC cooling fans available in the same sizes.

You could get a wall wart (AC to DC power converter) from Radio Shack and run some DC fans. 1000 mA = 1 amp just determine the total amps of the fans you want to install and get a power supply to match. I would not max out the transformer, If it was rated for 500mA (1/2 amp) I would hook up 80% of that (400mA) worth of fans. The current rating/draw of the fan is usually marked on it. As a guide a standard 80mm DC computer case fan usually takes about 100mA - 150mA .

edit, hmm guess whoever mentioned transformers made a generic remark that to an engineer like me was totally incorrect but he probally really ment a DC to AC converter. Lots of people incorrectly call AC to DC converters "transformers".

anyway, fans are not too awfull picky about the quality of the DC voltage, anyting decent will do do, so its mainly a question of determining the CFM etc of the cooling you need, or just guess and get a decent size fan thats quiet, there are a zillion threads here about "best fan" or the most "quiet" fans, look up the current required and get a cheap wall plug in "transformer" to run it.

One thought is since its a stereo a fan with a built in thermistor to run the fan at low speed till the cabinet heats up might be nice.

Google is your friend.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cabinet+fan+cooling

thanks for the input guys, ill continue to do some more research!

Back