• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fan speed control = suxorz

bastage

Pics of your wife?
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
12,874
so I have my bright & shiny new 6850 & its only got 1 issue.. This is also a similar issue that I had on my previous 4 cards..

Why in the fuck cant it be quiet when on the desktop & just ramp up in games without manual control. Currently I keep the fan speed at about 20% when not gaming.. But it needs to go up to about 80% when gaming. If I leave CCC to do it for me it stays at 50% & never moves until I manually do it because I am getting video artifacting.

Is there a better app out there then CCC (also tried MSI afterburner on the previous cards)
 
MSI afterburner. I set a temp profile graph for it so the fan only ramps up when the temps get too high. I also have a 120mm fan aimed straight at my GPU, however (P180m case).
 
so I have my bright & shiny new 6850 & its only got 1 issue.. This is also a similar issue that I had on my previous 4 cards..

Why in the fuck cant it be quiet when on the desktop & just ramp up in games without manual control. Currently I keep the fan speed at about 20% when not gaming.. But it needs to go up to about 80% when gaming. If I leave CCC to do it for me it stays at 50% & never moves until I manually do it because I am getting video artifacting.

Is there a better app out there then CCC (also tried MSI afterburner on the previous cards)

MSI afterburner is the best I've tried. If you create a fan curve in the settings, you can select at which temperature the fan speed will change. I love that application! :D

If it needs to go up to 80% while gaming, you either have an airflow problem or a GFX card problem. That is way too hot.
 
MSI Afterburner really is the best. I have my 4870x2's going all the way to 100% fan in games.

That being said, you shouldn't be getting artifacts with auto fan speed control unless something is broken or you're overclocking.
 
Im using Sapphire Trixx utility and it works great. Iv got a nice temp profile set up. I use a 6870 so it was kinda needed xD
 
MSI afterburner with a custom fan curve.. mine sits at 10% when on desktop and stays almost silent. Best fan control I have ever used.
 
People still use this thing?
I don't even know why ATI still makes it. They should just provide external links to all the 3rd party driver utilities and say, "We're terrible at this, so use one of these better tools made by other people".
 
OK I guess I need to try msi again
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
MSI Afterburner really is the best. I have my 4870x2's going all the way to 100% fan in games.

That being said, you shouldn't be getting artifacts with auto fan speed control unless something is broken or you're overclocking.

Listen to this man.

I leave my 6870 at auto and haven't had a problem.
 
OK I guess I need to try msi again
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I think you need to figure out why a 6870 needs 80% fan speed. I know my 5870 only ramps up to 32% at full load and stays under 77C.

80% fan speed is like gtx 480 territory.
 

You are not installing your drivers correctly! :D

1290274559619.jpg

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3795474&postcount=34

LOL! Sorry, I spotted that one on guru3d and it was too good not to reuse :p
 
ok so I have MSI afterburner working fine & yes it works fine jsut as everyone said. I am not sure what I was doing before, but I never set up the curve..

1 issue though.. after a system restart MSI afterburner restarts, but it doesn't select a profile so fan is running fast. The apply overclocking at system startup is selected & I only have 1 profile setup. Any input would be appreciated.
 
Back
Top