Fan pull or push on TRUE?

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
2,343
I got a Panaflo High Speed 120x38, which I will be running at full 24x7 on my TRUE. Now, my TRUE will be running horizontally in the case (pointing up), and I plan to put the fan on top, pulling from the heatsink and going upward towards the 200MM fan in my Antec 900.

Will I notice a significant difference having the fan pull instead of underneath, pushing? Main reason for the placement is to allow plenty of room for an HR-05/IFX with an 80MM fan on the northbridge.
 
I dont own a true but I would say push...... that is the way all my other heatsinks are setup so it makes since...... back in the Athlon XP days there was quite a debate about pulling and pushing the general consensus back then was that it made little to no difference. :D
 
With that argument, the first thing that comes to mind is that Tom's Hardware video that showed what happened to P4s, P3s, Palominos and Durons when you took the heatsink off.

The first two slowed or stopped, the last two went up in smoke.
 
I've always used push, my logic is that the fan is going to push a relatively straight and tight coloumn of air, but it will pull air from all around the fan, which would mean that unless the fan is pretty tight against the heatsink you'd be pulling less air through the heatsink and more through the cracks. I don't think that in practice it makes muc difference though.
 
With that argument, the first thing that comes to mind is that Tom's Hardware video that showed what happened to P4s, P3s, Palominos and Durons when you took the heatsink off.

The first two slowed or stopped, the last two went up in smoke.

What? Who said anything about taking the heatsink off? Anyway, it will most likely not make more than 1-2C difference either way, but the best way to find out is try both for yourself. It's not too hard to swap the fan position.
 
x2 TWO TIMES. Just sandwich your TRUE - you wouldn't believe the LOAD temp decrease by sandwiching it. I get about a 3 degree difference at idle and 5-6 degree load difference using 2 fans vs. 1. Both fans are the FAT 120's spinning at silent speeds. The whole sandwich is pretty heavy, but well worth it.
 
I just ordered a thermalright ultra extreme and two 120mm fans for it.

I would have thought that each fan would push in the same direction - in this case towards the back of the case. Are you saying that you sandwich the fans and each one is pointed in at the heatsink?
 
I just ordered a thermalright ultra extreme and two 120mm fans for it.

I would have thought that each fan would push in the same direction - in this case towards the back of the case. Are you saying that you sandwich the fans and each one is pointed in at the heatsink?

No, they both blow the same direction in a push/pull configuration.

I just switched from a S-flex fan at 1600 rpm to an Ultra-Kaze (38mm thick) also at 1600 rpm and I got a 5-8C drop in load temps - so there is something to be said for the higher static pressure of the thick 120mm fans, so that's something to think about also.
 
x2 TWO TIMES. Just sandwich your TRUE - you wouldn't believe the LOAD temp decrease by sandwiching it. I get about a 3 degree difference at idle and 5-6 degree load difference using 2 fans vs. 1. Both fans are the FAT 120's spinning at silent speeds. The whole sandwich is pretty heavy, but well worth it.

See, the thing is that I'm trying to make room for my HR-05, and either way a fan on the bottom side is likely to not leave me enough room for it and an 80MM fan.
 
I use push also on my TRUE. I use a fairly low output Scythe Flex 21E model (1200rpm) and my QX6850 says quite cool overclocked to 3.66 ghz.
 
Fans are designed to push.

That being said, we'll all know the difference when you try it! :D
 
I tried pull/push/push+pull

Push was about 2-4ºc lower than pull

Push+pull was only about 1-2ºc less than push
 
i have mine to push. And i have about 3-4 inches clearence from the edge of the case where a 120mm fan pulls all air and exhausts it out the back. Works very well. on my Q6600 @ 3.2ghz i get 32-35 degrees idle, and 48-52 degrees under load. Vcore is @ 1.28v
 
Back
Top