Fan Controller

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by changlish76, Aug 5, 2018.

1. changlish76

changlish76 n00bie

Looking for a simple way to lower rpm for a case fan, can't use pwm. Does this look like a house fire?

Not sure if something like this is ideal compared to the 7v molex trick or even a resistor cable. Using an evga 650bq for power

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

Not sure how much power your case fan needs. Unless your are using a 120mm x 38mm Delta or NMB/Panaflow fan you would need a horribly beefy controller. There are literally tons of fan controllers out there. Most of them manual, but if you want to pay the money there are programmable ones out there too.

Have you considered connecting to a motherboard connector and managing its speed in the bios/motherboard utilities? Most motherboards can fan speed via PWM or Voltage. I doubt very much that a fan would blow a motherboard header since those can handle between 800-1000 mA. 3-pin fans have no problem attaching to 4-pin pwm connectors. Letting the motherboard control the fan allows it to vary fan speed based on need.

3. changlish76

changlish76 n00bie

I'm trying to use an Arctic F-12 120mm fan (1350rpm max) with a dell optiplex case/mobo. Even with the fan wires re-arranged to match dell's pinout, it doesnt spin up and bios settings are a joke. I've got this cheap controller coming in the mail but if its not a good idea guess I'll have to pick up a resistor

4. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

My favorite for this kind of issue is the Phanteks hub.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE5032993

It takes a PWM signal from your motherboard header of choice, and voltage-controls all attached fans, reporting the tach signal of one of those fans (your choice) back to the mobo. Additionally, it has a dedicated power cable so you don't need to worry about blowing said header.

5. changlish76

changlish76 n00bie

I have a single pwm header for the cpu fan. I want to try something like that but was deterred by stories about proprietary dell fans even some with a logic chip. I'll have to look into it since there is a small batch of 3010 and 7010mt optiplex in my living room

6. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

Don'tcha just hate it when companies build something for which an industry standard exists, and completely ignore it?

Best of luck to you!