Random FPS drops

10/10
9.5/10
Amazing
10/10
Game of the year
9/10
Reviewers played the console versions.
And a buggy/tweakable game doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Engine tied to framerate
Gotta edit an ini file to change the FoV
Gotta edit an ini file to disable mouse acceleration
Gotta edit an ini file to change the vertical sensitivity
Building controls are trash, designed for a controller
Menus are trash, designed for a controller
Random FPS drops

these little quibbles just flat don't matter to me if the game is glorious fun.

Got it to work. in the pref file, set borderless windows, resolution set to 1 pixel less in each dimension (1199x1599 for me), per that steamcommunity guide.

I'm not rocking a CRT. Old Dell fp2001

Played for four hours last night. My OCD took over when I started the crafting tutorial and completely dismantled the entire town.

Really surprised that they haven't at least locked things with deltaTime, would definitely mitigate the majority of the weird physics/speed issues people are seeing at higher framerates.
dT would be nice, but these days you want your physics and graphics update loops to run in separate threads. But that would probably require a completely new engine to take advantage of multithreading. This engine is forked going all the way back to Morrowind, which came out in 2002, so dT would be a nice step up.

for me the game defaulted at 144hz. did it default to high fps for anyone else?
Your monitor may be running at 144 Hz, but is the game itself running faster than 60 FPS? I'd use the RTSS, or the Steam FPS counter if RTSS isn't working in this game.

Reviewers played the console versions.
And a buggy/tweakable game doesn't mean it's a bad game.
The console versions are worse than the PC version, for a change, so that's not an excuse for giving this game such high scores across the board. I've seen excerpts of reviews that acknowledge the issues, but literally write them off in the final score because it's Bethesda :eek:.

Engine tied to framerate
Gotta edit an ini file to change the FoV
Gotta edit an ini file to disable mouse acceleration
Gotta edit an ini file to change the vertical sensitivity
Building controls are trash, designed for a controller
Menus are trash, designed for a controller
Random FPS drops

10/10
9.5/10
Amazing
10/10
Game of the year
9/10

Most of the reviews I have seen acknowledge the problems but they were enjoying the overall game too much for that to impact their overall opinion ... there have also been some scathing reviews as well scoring it in the 70's ... but that's the thing about reviews (yours, mine, theirs, everybody's), they are still ultimately opinion ... besides the PCs greatest advantage (flexibility) is its greatest curse since it is hard to squash bugs for every possible OS, GPU, CPU, MB, soundcard, network card, monitor, resolution combination ... if the game is good then most PC folks can forgive minor bugs as long as they don't rise to system or game breaking levels ... now the console folks have more of a potential gripe for bugs as they have fewer variations to debug than the PC

Your monitor may be running at 144 Hz, but is the game itself running faster than 60 FPS? I'd use the RTSS, or the Steam FPS counter if RTSS isn't working in this game.

yeah game is running higher than 60 FPS, using RTSS i've seen it go into the 130's (hence i'm assuming it's defaulting to 144hz). i do have a global framerate cap of 143hz set in RTSS, i wonder if this somehow is the culprit. that seems far fetched but i'm just spitballing here. really it's not a problem, i obviously prefer to run at higher fps, i just don't want game time and other elements f'ed up similar to what happens in Skyrim.

I think unlocking the frame-rate and disabling the mouse acceleration are a must for good smooth gameplay, just make sure you cap the game below 90fps or you will get bugs.

The game is 100% smoother with the engine based vsync disabled. It's night and day.

yeah game is running higher than 60 FPS, using RTSS i've seen it go into the 130's (hence i'm assuming it's defaulting to 144hz). i do have a global framerate cap of 143hz set in RTSS, i wonder if this somehow is the culprit. that seems far fetched but i'm just spitballing here. really it's not a problem, i obviously prefer to run at higher fps, i just don't want game time and other elements f'ed up similar to what happens in Skyrim.
Are you getting any anomalies during gameplay? If not then I still have hope when my copy finally comes in the mail.

I'm sure if the dog takes too much damage he'll just lay there until you kill the enemies in the vicinity. That's just lame to me. This is after all a game where you create multiple saves and quicksave like crazy.

Everyone should be killable!!! If that ruins a mission so be it!

I loved sneak attacking people with melee in the previous games. Every so often the dog would manage to get in front of me mid VATS animation and take the hit instead.

Better yet is I had 100 sneak and was practically invisible, so people found it hard to give a shit about the sound of power fist impacting skull 6 inches away from them followed by a KO'd dog cartwheeling across the room at 30mph.

I'm pretty willing to give the companions a pass on the immortality front.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to edit the quick keys for Stimpaks and such? I just started the game, but that key seems to be tied to Keyboard button 0 and it's not an editable key in the settings menu. There are other 10 key hotkeys apparently, and I'd like to edit those to a different key if possible?

Are you getting any anomalies during gameplay? If not then I still have hope when my copy finally comes in the mail.

nothing yet that i've noticed but i'm only 3 hours in.

edit: one anomaly i notice is getting stuck at computer terminals, like many other people are reporting.

Last edited:
for me the game defaulted at 144hz. did it default to high fps for anyone else?

Yes, I did not have to tweak anything and I seemed to have 144hz. Unless MSI Afterburner was lying to me it was going over 100 fps at times, and definitely would get pegged at 144 fps at some moments (terminals, menus, etc).

I did get stuck at the terminal in the Red Rocket gas station near the beginning. I reloaded several times, tried the tweak to fix it, nothing worked. Switched to controller and problem went away, but could be coincidence. The only problem is I want to aim so the controller is not ideal.

This game needs better KB+M support! I'm sure they will not fix the UI themselves, but there are problems that need to be fixed by Bethesda. Changing default key bindings for certain actions is asking for pain.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to edit the quick keys for Stimpaks and such? I just started the game, but that key seems to be tied to Keyboard button 0 and it's not an editable key in the settings menu. There are other 10 key hotkeys apparently, and I'd like to edit those to a different key if possible?
There is no way to rebind the hotkeys in the game, as far as I know. If you have a keyboard or mouse with profiling software you can map the '0' key to another button that way.

144hz (well, really we mean greater than 60 FPS because you can have 144hz as long as you cap the frame rate) is broken, yes.

Yes, I did not have to tweak anything and I seemed to have 144hz. Unless MSI Afterburner was lying to me it was going over 100 fps at times, and definitely would get pegged at 144 fps at some moments (terminals, menus, etc).

well good to hear i'm not the only one.

I don't understand why physics are still tied to framerate. That just seems like extremely lazy programming to me. I'm sure they have timers running in the game. What possible harm could having a timer cause for physics that they felt the need to tie it to the fps?

I have to laugh at how many people in this thread are playing on pirated versions...... Lulz

I gotta laugh at a company expecting me to give them full retail price for a game with the same issues as their previous FOUR titles, all the while being told that the engine is "new". Not worth the pirate, imo, but I got other titles to play.

I gotta laugh at a company expecting me to give them full retail price for a game with the same issues as their previous FOUR titles, all the while being told that the engine is "new". Not worth the pirate, imo, but I got other titles to play.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Find something else to play or check yourself in.

oh jesus i think im done, she has to look evil! its my first run and i intend to fuck everything up! i intend to be charming and good and reliable on the outside and sadistic and evil on the inside, everybody (except me) will have a bad bad day :p

SRIieTk.jpg

hEa4NUz.jpg

:D

oh jesus i think im done, she has to look evil! its my first run and i intend to fuck everything up! i intend to be charming and good and reliable on the outside and sadistic and evil on the inside, everybody (except me) will have a bad bad day :p

:D

Oh man, that is awesome. She looks like a stone cold killer, the type that could sport a charming smile while slitting your throat.

Back