• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fallout 4, what AA are you using?

What AA are you using in Fallout 4? (please vote and post your rig specs)


  • Total voters
    54

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
3,805
As title,
I would like to start playing fallout 4 but I don't find a configuration I like.

I have a GTX980 Ti SLI but due to the bad optimization and the lack of SLI profile I cannot afford to play it at 4K.
Due to bad optimization I don't think that I will be able to play 4K even when the SLI profile will be complete.

For this reason I need to play at 1200P and I have only two AA options.
FXAA or TAA, FXAA does not do a good job on foliage and trees branches, so what should I use?

What do you use?
 
TAA, agree that the foliage looks MUCH better especially when you're moving.

Maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive to it but I'm not noticing the TAA blur.
 
There is taa and fxaa with game. Mfaa and fxaa with nvidia control panel. And fxaa and smaa with reshade sweet fx. Not sure what is best or best combination without killing fps
 
I'm waiting for game and driver updates. I won't be using 4k anything.
 
I don't like to use external tools to do this things, it may ruin the experience with crashes or other problems.
But what it does exactly?
What is the resharpening process?

Just look at screenshots or give it a try...you can turn it on and off dynamically in-game to see the difference.
 
Just look at screenshots or give it a try...you can turn it on and off dynamically in-game to see the difference.

looked it, it has awesome results but I don't want to use external tool.
I will wait for driver optimization to play it 4K and have the same results :D
 
The options are way too restrictive so I didnt vote.
I use 1080p with 1.5x DSR and FXAA.
Its stupid to use 4K DSR at 1080p with single card, the framerate loss means you have to drop quality settings.
And I use DSR with FXAA, no vote option.
 
What kind of performance hit does that reshading cause?

I got about 3-4 fps average decrease but looks nicer. Not sure if it was due to my settings but kputt's just reshade gave me about 10 fps lower minimum fps so it spiked more, so I just went with regular sweetfx and turned down shadows. Once sli is out hopefully i can max it all out.
 
So I tried the sweetfx sharpening tool....and wow, it truly does make a noticeable difference.

I said earlier I wasn't aware of the vaseline effect....but I was wrong. Being able to toggle the sharpening effect on/off showed me what everybody was talking about. I highly recommend this tweak. Haven't played long enough with it yet to comment on performance hit or if it introduces new bugs, but it makes the game look way better. Great find.
 
TAA with custom ReShade / SweetFX config. For the most part the combo is pleasing to the eye. There are a few textures that could use some work but otherwise I am very happy with game as a whole. 73 hours happy and still going strong. :D
 
Is it TAA causing this weird grid artifact around the characters head here or is it the god rays themselves?

http://postimg.org/image/qwebbhjt7/full/

That's the godrays. I have no idea how these godrays can screw up performance and look SO BAD when crytek was doing realistic, depth-buffer-based godrays 8 years ago.

crysis2wallpaper12.jpg
 
That's the godrays. I have no idea how these godrays can screw up performance and look SO BAD when crytek was doing realistic, depth-buffer-based godrays 8 years ago.

The thing about that image is that you can see that the edges of the tree are clearly defined, which is not the case if the real world. There should be a softer edge. While the god ray effect in F4 is far from perfect, it attempts to mimic that soft edge.

The thing is we are used to clearly defined edges in games graphic, so it's not surprising that people are more comfortable with the trees or any object still having such edges even when it has a bright light source around it.
 
That's the godrays. I have no idea how these godrays can screw up performance and look SO BAD when crytek was doing realistic, depth-buffer-based godrays 8 years ago.

fucking giant image

because that's a screen space effect, unlike what fallout does
 
What is your system specs?
I cannot afford 4k DSR + TAA on a gtx980 ti SLI.

How can you play at that settings? Do you tweaked the SLI bit?

I should have specified my resolutions. I'm not running 4k dsr, I'm running 2715x1527 to 1080 with rod rays on low.

1527 seems to be the sweet spot for my system on regards to DSR.
 
TAA + ReShade LUMASHARPEN filter at 2560x1440 on Ultra preset. I have an i7-4770, GTX TITAN X, 32GB of DDR3 1600 MHz RAM, and the game is installed on a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB with Windows 8.1. The game runs pegged at 144 FPS in interior environments, and around 70-100 FPS while outside. BUT... I use RTSS to limit the game to 60 FPS to avoid the character freeze bug with terminals. With the FPS cap the game stays pegged at 60 FPS throughout.
 
Back
Top