Fallout 4 on console

I'd say either finish the ethernet wiring and stream it. In fairness I don't think the PS4 version will be drastically different from PC as much as the difference between Fallout 3 or Skyrim between 360/PS3 and PC, but if you care about mods then they'll obviously hit PC first.

This is definitely a couch and controller game though, I can't handle 200+ hours of Wasteland exploration in an office chair at a desk.

This is the prime reason I'm exiting PC gaming. After spending 8-9 hours a day in an office chair at work, the last thing I want to do is spend even more time sitting in one when I get home.

Anyone on the Xbox One not able to record game clips yesterday? It was the strangest thing. When I doubled pressed on Tuesday in Fallout I was able to make a clip but then yesterday I wasn't able to. Neither the screenshot or record option were listed in the UI. Very strange.

This is the prime reason I'm exiting PC gaming. After spending 8-9 hours a day in an office chair at work, the last thing I want to do is spend even more time sitting in one when I get home.

You could just get an HTPC or Steam Link and play it on your TV.

I've got no issues with this game on the PS4 so far.
About 30 hours in.

Why the hell is there no brightness option though? Wtf?

I've got no issues with this game on the PS4 so far.
About 30 hours in.

Why the hell is there no brightness option though? Wtf?

I hear you on the brightness. I'm playing on xbox one and man, this 30 fps makes the game a little rough to play. I wish they would of made the game run at 720p so the frame rate would be higher, even if it was only 45 fps it would make a big difference.

I have no complaints on how well Xbox One runs Fallout 4. It seems to be 1080p with consistent 30fps.

I just love that Fallout 3 digital edition also come out for Xbox One through the 360 emulator that just came out yesterday. All the add-ons that I purchased for 360 also worked. I preordered Fallout 4 so I have both games digitally for one price. I'm amazed at how well the Xbox One runs the 360 emulator.

I agree with you 100%.

I am playing with an Xbox One controller but have no idea why the hell anyone would play a game of this magnitude on console.

I'm playing on PS4 and the 30fps is killing my eyes. I bought it for PS4 instead of PC since the PS4 is easier to transport around the house and to my work. Just an FYI you can hook up your PC to your TV and use a PS4 or X1 gamepad. It blows my mind that people still bring up the "but I work at a desk all day" bullshit.

I have it on PS4 and it's okay for me in the grand scheme of things. I do notice frame drops at times (~20 FPS), which is fairly unacceptable considering this game is neither visually or technically advanced. While it runs smoother on PC, its also upsetting that it doesn't get significantly better FPS. My coworker has a 980Ti and says his game sometimes falls to a constant 40 FPS at times while at 1080p. Nothing about this game should bring a 980Ti to a constant 40 FPS, ever. The game is built on a modified version of an engine that ran on last gen hardware, its neither visually impressive or technically advanced - there is no reason we should just accept the performance they gave us.

If they actually put in some effort with optimisation I think consoles would have a rock solid 30 FPS, the PC would probably get a 25-50% increase in FPS, and the large drop in frame-rate would be alleviated across all platforms. Better performance would make this great game into an amazing game. Unfortunately, this is Bethesda we're talking about - they're just going to cry for us and wipe their tears with the stacks of money they made.

/rant

I'm playing on PS4 and the 30fps is killing my eyes. I bought it for PS4 instead of PC since the PS4 is easier to transport around the house and to my work. Just an FYI you can hook up your PC to your TV and use a PS4 or X1 gamepad. It blows my mind that people still bring up the "but I work at a desk all day" bullshit.

Don't get so butt-hurt about it.

Try playing any multiplayer PC game with a controller and let me know how it goes. You'll get devoured by the KB/M players. It's not a clear solution for all situations.

I have all the fallouts for PC, but I am thinking a PS4 version of this.

As I said before...I spend too much time on a PC at work at a desk, rather be on the couch with a big screen and a PS4 Controller.
PC version plus wireless xbox controller. The new adapter for the XBONE was just released and your PS4 controller would work as well.

Try playing any multiplayer PC game with a controller and let me know how it goes. You'll get devoured by the KB/M players. It's not a clear solution for all situations.

This has nothing to do with the original argument.

This has nothing to do with the original argument.

How does this have nothing to do with the original argument? I originally indicated that I was leaving PC gaming because I did not want to sit at a desk after I spend 8-9 hours at a desk while at work. He indicated that he can't believe people use the "but I work at a desk all day" excuse to not play games on a PC. I explained why simply hooking up the PC to the TV and attaching a controller doesn't work for all situations. I did not say it didn't work for Fallout 4.

How is this irrelevant?

I am playing with an Xbox One controller but have no idea why the hell anyone would play a game of this magnitude on console.

Why not? I have a pretty uber gaming PC rig, and definitely can play all of the games that come out on it, but I am perfectly happy buying games like this and Battlefront on my PS4 or Xone. I don't even really have a good reason why. It plays perfectly great on the console. When it comes down to people arguing about graphical fidelity or other PC vs console, when you are actually playing the game and not admiring the higher textures, you dont even truly notice the difference. I'd much rather have a movie streaming, sports streaming, irc up and other going on my PC on my other monitors, while my main monitor/tv is switched to my console gaming. I almost feel bad my gaming rig goes to waste just using it to play Hearthstone.

Why not? I have a pretty uber gaming PC rig, and definitely can play all of the games that come out on it, but I am perfectly happy buying games like this and Battlefront on my PS4 or Xone. I don't even really have a good reason why. It plays perfectly great on the console. When it comes down to people arguing about graphical fidelity or other PC vs console, when you are actually playing the game and not admiring the higher textures, you dont even truly notice the difference. I'd much rather have a movie streaming, sports streaming, irc up and other going on my PC on my other monitors, while my main monitor/tv is switched to my console gaming. I almost feel bad my gaming rig goes to waste just using it to play Hearthstone.

It's not just the higher textures and graphic fidelity. Playing at 60+ FPS vs 30 is a big difference. One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksH65BmjK4

It's not just the higher textures and graphic fidelity. Playing at 60+ FPS vs 30 is a big difference. One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksH65BmjK4

That's it for me.
I did end up buying it on ps4 for the wife but I'm going to wait for a pc sale and play it at glorious 60fps myself. I even tried to convince the wife to go pc (she has a gtx 960 which should handle it nicely) but her pc isn't hooked up to the living room tv. So comfort gaming won, lol.

I agree with you 100%.

yup... I am really debating parting out my gaming rig now... I got my ps4 and I have to say I haven't turned on my gaming pc once since and don't feel the need to.. My only gripe is having to re-buy some of my favorite games possibly. I still feel like I am more accurate in some games with a kb and mouse but my dual shock foo is getting better with every day. :)

I'm only a few hours into FO4 on the PS4 but loving it so far.. It looks very nice and being able to kick back and game in comfort is wonderful.

It's been 30 fps with an occasional fps drop on Xbox One. In some areas more so than others.

Last edited:
Besides the typical Bethesda glitches (delays in speech dialogue, clipping on walls/fences/crap, getting stuck in certain spots, and save points that blow) you have learned to love over the years, it runs decent on the PS4. I have been happy to travel through Boston post-apocalypse from the couch.

I do play with a controller, and now that I'm used to it I even do better in some FPS games than I do with the mouse. Give me a few more weeks and I should be consistent across the board. The problem isn't using a controller, it's attempting to do precision aiming with an analog stick.
ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

It's definitely harder with the thumb stick to aim carefully when an explosion of bugs (or any sudden numerous enemies) swarm you... Missing my mouse for that but being able to kick back is still worth it. it runs fairly smooth on the ps4 but I have seen a couple spots the fps drops below 30 for sure... It doesn't bug me too much though - I'm just kind of ignoring it.

The optimization for this game is just sad. I've put in about 15-20 hours into the game and the frame-drops are just atrocious at times, easily sub 20 FPS. It's bad enough to the point where I have trouble aiming in combat. I don't understand how this game can run this poorly, even on console.

I'm probably going to put this game off to the side and cross my fingers that Bethesda actually puts in effort to at least somewhat optimize this game in upcoming patches. It's really a shame that such a great game like this can be spoiled by horrid performance.

I just put about 6 hours or so in the past few days on the xb1. I find the performance ok, it was like playing FO3 and NV on the 360. Fallout is one of the few games where 30 fps and frame drops don't bother me. I'll replay this in a couple years on the PC with mods like I did FO3 and NV.

Back