Fallout 3 Patch

ChthonicEidolon

Weaksauce
For anyone who has experienced the "generic" crashing (fallout.exe), has this patched help anyone?

F3 is now crashing on me left and right, when it was only occasional before (just due to the .exe) and I'm wondering if I should bother installing the patch that was released a few days ago and if it's helped anyone with random crashing.

It doesn't mention any general stability, just states it supposedly helps with the following:

Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.

Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.

The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.

...not much help if it's not addressing general crashing due to the .exe or just being a buggy PIA in general.

Thanks.

Can I ask which gfx card you are using?
I'm on an older 8800GT and am not suffering any issues at all so far, about 3 hrs play.
I tried to observe from some other threads whether problems are related to new or older cards but forgot about it and lost track.
ps running patch v1.0.0.15_English_UK
pps getting 60fps with Vsync on at 1080p res, max game quality, no AA

Can I ask which gfx card you are using?
I'm on an older 8800GT and am not suffering any issues at all so far, about 3 hrs play.
I tried to observe from some other threads whether problems are related to new or older cards but forgot about it and lost track.
ps running patch v1.0.0.15_English_UK
pps getting 60fps with Vsync on at 1080p res, max game quality, no AA

The problem is definitely not my GPU, as it's been fine, with only the occasional crash, as many have been having. Otherwise, I've been running perfect since install, which was the day of release, with only the very occasional crash after a week of playing at first.

But, I'm running a GTX 280, stock, everything maxed in-game, v-sync on and pretty much a steady fps of 50-60. No problems with crashing this extreme until now, and I've changed nothing on my system.

I've noticed that there are actually specifically places in the game that almost "initiate" more crashes than others, and I've tested it to be sure. I'm not in a place I've experienced it before, but F3 is rather buggy in general, and I (and many others) have had strange graphical glitches and crashes, unrelated to hardware or driver issues.

I might just install the patch and see if it helps, but before I bothered, I wanted to know if anyone had done so and it either helped or caused more issues, or did nothing.

OK, that's a problem...

Tried installing the patch, and it actually launches the game, even without the CD in the drive, which is required to play.

Then the installer "blanks out" after alt-tabbing out to see what's going on (after initially stating it will take about 20 minutes to update) in the background, and I've two "versions" of F3 running and the patch does not install.

What the hell...?

I also get a cmd box that just sits there, blank, doing nothing.
Is this patch completely bugged? I dl'd it from FilePlanet.

I had issues installing the game that sound similar, where the install would effectively hang.
I kept killing the .net 3 optimising process (cant remember its name soz, something like mscorvw) and that let the installation continue.

FO3 used to crash for me after like an hour of playing almost consistently.

I just updated my video card drivers and it hasn't crashed since....I hadn't
updated my drivers since a release from like April of this year or something. :p

I installed the patch having had no issues since install. After the patch was installed I have all the problems thepatch was supposed to fix. The failing atl+tab out is really pissing me off.

Fallout 3 is one of the buggiest games to be released in a long time. At first, it ran great on my system. I had 20 hours into the game and it had only occasionally crashed to desktop, or gave me an error when exiting. I didn't notice any difference with stability after the patch.

Well a few days ago, I decided it was time for a fresh O/S format. It had been almost 2 years on the old installation. So I backed up my FO3 save and my other stuff, wiped the hd clean, reinstalled windows with the latest service packs etc, put the same drivers back on, catalyst 8.11 etc... reinstalled FO3, applied the patch, loaded my save game and started playing and now the game constantly freezes !

I even tried starting a new game and inevitably, before I can finish vault 101, it locks up and becomes unresponsive. Usually in the same part each time, (when you go by the security office with Amata, Overseer, and a security goon)

So it ran perfect when my computer had a ragged out, corrupted 2 year old mess of a windows install. But after doing a brand new format, loading only the bare minimum utilities and drivers on a fresh windows installation, I can't play for more than 10 minutes before it freezes up and becomes totally unresponsive, forcing me to alt-tab out and close the game in the task manager. :rolleyes:

Really sick of Bethesda's beta shit. Think I'll ebay it. And maybe try again next year after a few more patches and some better mods.

Have absolutely no problems with Fallout 3 (I'm running Vista 64, rig in sig). Never crashed once, even before I installed the patch.

So it ran perfect when my computer had a ragged out, corrupted 2 year old mess of a windows install.

They probably designed the game for corrupted OSs just to piss people off. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I had the same problem with patching (frozen). Turns out all I had to do was exit from the normal FO3 menu (the first menu you see after opening the .exe.) The patch finished normally after that.

I had loads of CTDs and a single freeze before and after patching. Updating GPU drivers (8600GTS) took care of it. From what I've read, different drivers are working for different setups. I'm using one that was causing major freezes with someone else.

The dumbest thing to me is that codec packages (ffdshow/ArcSoft) can cause problems in FO3/Oblivion. WTF?

Have absolutely no problems with Fallout 3 (I'm running Vista 64, rig in sig). Never crashed once, even before I installed the patch.

Same here. After doing ALL the secondary quests and beating the game. Not a single crash. :)

VISTA 64, 4870x2, 8.11.

Loving this game and only had maybe two crashes total, if that. Running Vista 64 on 8800 GTS, latest nvidia 64 bit drivers.

I had btd problems but since installing 180.42 drivers the game's been nothing but rock solid.

Just wait. I had not one single crash - game was ROCK SOLID until I got halway through and got into the Tranquility Lane mission. Constant crashes, lock ups, blue screens etc. I googled it and found almost EVERYONE is having an issue in Tranquility Lane. There's definitely something very wrong that needs to be patched. Such a bummer too, I absolutely love the game. So frustrating I cannot even play past this point. I'm dead in the water until a patch is released.

Just wait...you'll see... however most of the issues seem to be on Vista x64...

i didnt have ANY crashes untill after the patch :( now it does all the time

Fallout won't start for me of I have a window open that spans both my monitors.

LOL. It took me a while to figure that one out.

The latest drivers seem to be working fine with it
wink.gif

Back