Fallout 3 crashing thread

mine was crashing a ton randomly in tranquility lane to the point where i couldn't complete it. then out of nowhere it worked fine for about an hour , so now im on the next quest and it crashes every single time i try to jump down into a new section to complete the quest.

i only tried updating audio drivers

When I used a no-cd, that halted my crashing issue. I bought the game and I had to use a no-cd to get it to work. I played for 4 hours yesterday straight with out a crash. Even tested alt-tab and it still kept working.

Oh man, I really hope so. I triggered the Big Town quest bug where the robots disappear. Now I can't talk to Red and aparently she is in possession of a mechanical part that I needed for some other quest.

I'm not really having any major crash problems. The game's crashed on me maybe 3 times total (not counting crashes on exit) and I've put in close to 30 hours already. That's much better luck than I've had with Farcry 2, Clear Sky, or Warhead to name some more recent games.

I too found if I turned off my AA completely I am able to play full screen without crashes. Sounds like to me that the development team mainly only worked in an all ATI environment. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd love to turn on my AA a bit.

I dunno, I play on a gtx260 with maxed out aa/af and it plays just fine and no crashes hitches

Yea, I see your point. It seems those that are not crashing are on Vista 64. I'm on XP still and won't make the jump to vista till more audio drivers support 64bit

Yea, I see your point. It seems those that are not crashing are on Vista 64. I'm on XP still and won't make the jump to vista till more audio drivers support 64bit

You mean those that are crashing ARE on Vista x64, right? That's the only thing that seems consistent here. Audio problems, and Vista x64, IIRC.

My NPC voices started working. All I did was reinstall my SoundMAX drivers on top of the existing ones.

It's a hotfix and will resolve the crash upon exit only.

Heh, then that means a bunch of us should have no problems getting that hotfix since a crash is a guarantee in pretty short order.

I just tried it. My usual 5 minutes of gameplay led to the inevitable crash. Nothing happened.

I went into Windows Vista Problems and Solutions and pulled the trigger for checking for solutions and still nothing.

I literally can't play the game until a patch comes. That's all there is to it.

Heh, then that means a bunch of us should have no problems getting that hotfix since a crash is a guarantee in pretty short order.

I just tried it. My usual 5 minutes of gameplay led to the inevitable crash. Nothing happened.

I went into Windows Vista Problems and Solutions and pulled the trigger for checking for solutions and still nothing.

I literally can't play the game until a patch comes. That's all there is to it.

Crashing alot here too, seems to be getting worse. Around the Galaxy News Station it is particularly bad. Threw me out completely rather than freezing now!

Crashing alot here too, seems to be getting worse. Around the Galaxy News Station it is particularly bad. Through me out completely rather than freezing now!

It sucks because I really want to play this game badly and I was able to get just soaked in enough to really start enjoying it. :(

It sucks because I really want to play this game badly and I was able to get just soaked in enough to really start enjoying it. :(

It's a damn shame. The game is a fine one once you get into it. Now I'm back on track with the main quest I'm enjoying it a lot more

I've got my microstutter issue sorted and the X-Fi sound issues with the radio station but the freezing and crashing is proving tricky to diagnose. The Bethsoft forums have been invaluable so far, I'll keep checking and trying new things until I get this bloody thing sorted.

crashes for me about 1/10 on the alt-tab. And about once every hour otherwise.

Yep seems like it's a Vista 64 problem

Maybe, but there ARE people not using Vista 64 that are also having problems. Go to the Bethesda support forums for the PC version of this game and you'll see it.

I'm running Vista 32bit on a new Macbook Pro (2.5ghz 9600 512mb version) and I've had 4-5 crashes in the first hour (just getting to the first town). I tried putting fallout on the do not use ffdshow list but that didn't help. I've got the latest drivers (for what apple's drivers are worth) but no luck. Considering others are having the same issues on different machines and my other games are working fine under bootcamp I don't think I'll go putzing about with non apple drivers just yet. Should of just gotten the xbox version for less hassle. :(

Patch is out. It comes over Windows Live. Updated game to 1.015 or something like that.

We'll see what this does...

Sadly, this particular patch did not solve my random crashing to desktop problem.

The patch fixed unusual crashes. It says in the description
Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.
Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.
The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.

But didn't say anything about fixed crashes WHILE playing the game.

I might have a solution to this crashing problem. I have played 10 or more hours with no crash. Whatsoever. Without crash, I safely turned off the game too.

When in the Splash screen of Fallout 3, go to Options.
Press "Default"
Go to Advanced -> View Distance Tab
Decrease them a little bit.
Go to Distance LOD tab, decrease them a bit also.
Go to Detail tab, decrease Decal Cap 2 times.
Try turning off Antialiasing. (OFF)
Try turning off Anisotropic Filtering. (OFF)
Enable Vertical Sync
**ENABLE WINDOWED MODE!!**
Put resolution to 800x600
Check "Show all resolutions"
Screen Effects: NONE

For lock-ups however, wait patiently, for the game might continue again. Don't just forcefully turn it off.

*Not Necessary!*
Windowed mode and your desktop background might irritate you. Windowed mode is really uncomfortable to look at so you should get used to it or try setting your computer background to something very very dark or black.
Or you can move your windowed game to the center by dragging it. However, fallout 3 will not let your cursor appear for your desktop no matter what you do. Here is how: Summon the great Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del). Click outside the Fallout 3 window, then your desktop mouse cursor will appear. Put the cursor on the heading of the Fallout 3 window, Do not worry when it disappears as soon as it touches the heading, just put it on there, think the cursor is already there, and then drag it. Then close the task manager if you can. Task manager itself can eat up up to 5,000K Memory usage.

If anyone thinks it is their Sound softwares and hardwares that cause the lock-ups and crashes, please read this following article.
http://www.unigamesity.com/how-to-fix-fallout-3-lock-ups-and-crashes/

Or you might use that article to solve other problems too, not just the sound. But it is mostly sound related.

Happy hunting at the wasteland, and good luck!

The 'patch' is for crash to desktop and crash on alt tabbing during the intro video.

Big fucking deal, fix the crash to desktop and constant game freezes will you Bethesda? Don't fob us off wth a mickey mouse patch, we're not fucking stupid.

Lots of seriously pissed off game owners on the Bethsoft forums. Not to mention forum moderators that get twitchy and censor as soon as you criticise.

Glad Hardocp isn't like that!

The 'patch' is for crash to desktop and crash on alt tabbing during the intro video.

Big fucking deal, fix the crash to desktop and constant game freezes will you Bethesda? Don't fob us off wth a mickey mouse patch, we're not fucking stupid.

Lots of seriously pissed off game owners on the Bethsoft forums. Not to mention forum moderators that get twitchy and censor as soon as you criticise.

Basically they aren't paying much of a attention to their own forum. Maybe they created this such measly patch from the private mail they opened up from some random game owner who complains about his game crashing when doing Alt-Tab sequence.

Sweet I went and "saved" my game and when I exit the game it crashed. I don't know it crashed upon exiting or crashed before exiting.

> they created this such measly patch from the private mail they opened up from

Microsoft complaining about all the automatic crash reports.

There. HTH. HAND.

Well, this game is unplayable for me. Once I make make it out of the vault the game will crash on me every single time. The furthest I can go is Springvale. I tried reinstalling the game, applying the patch and starting a new game and the same thing happens. I tried excluding fallout from the ffdshow audio and video config as well. The weird thing is when the game crashes to desktop, I get the usual error reporting dialog box. I hit "dont send" and then I lose my monitor signal. My computer is technically fine, just no signal to the monitor. I'm using the lastest nvidia drivers.

The patch fixed unusual crashes. It says in the description
Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.
Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.
The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.

But didn't say anything about fixed crashes WHILE playing the game.

I am sure that it was an easy fix and frankly the crash when closing affected a ton more users, I am sure the next patch will help w/ the vista 64 users but they also have to consider what is hurting their larger play base.

QTF on the moderation. I got a warning for making a Chapelle Show Rick James joke in a thread where someone was complaining about the lack of a Construction Set. There's been so much emotion on their forum, people pissed because of the CS or crashes, so I drop in a Rick James joke of the "fuck yo couch" nature, to lighten the mood, and the moderation jumps on it. I knew the censors where going to filter my curse words, anyway.

In their defense, the mod didn't watch Chapelle show, and acknowledged that I've been a contributor (modder) for the past coupleof years. No hard feelings, but just goes to show how touchy things are over there.

Uninstalled this crash loving game. The patch did nothing for me. Whatever the conflict is caused by, I made the decision that it's not worth my time to try to find the solution for it.

on my friends computer when we turned up the resolution to 1280x1024 the game went all artifacty and messed up his 3870 and forced him to rma the card this game while amazing and fun is the scurge of glitches

Yeah no... don't blame Fallout 3 on your friend's, cousin's, brother's, dog's previous owner's, father's hardware failure. I don't see how you can possibly observe the causality of that (or any) given situation.

Pre patch I never had any crashes or issues. Now that I loaded the patch I crashed 3 times in 2 hours last night. Yay for that...

So the patch for me hanged first time I ran it then successfully patched 2nd time. Now the game crashes at startup with something about .NET and fallout3.exe.

I may re-install and go back to the original unpatched if this shit aint fixed soon.

So basically the patch made this game unplayable.

Back