Falcon-NW - Tiki

Kaos_Drem

Gawd
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...roduces_Enthusiast_Class_Mini_ITX_System.html

fnw_tiki_2.jpg

Pretty interesting little box even if it isn't really all that little. It is 13in tall and 4in wide, very strange form factor but looks neat.

looks interesting, but i'll say the same thing i've said in another forum. as far as the info offered so far, you cant buy the case separate. you have to buy their prebuilt system, which starts at $1900

Pretty interesting little box even if it isn't really all that little. It is 13in tall and 4in wide, very strange form factor but looks neat.

Actually, it is impressively small considering that it can fit a GTX 680 with three drives. For comparison, below are some other Mini-ITX cases that can fit the same amount of hardware or more:

Falcon Northwest Tiki ----11.4 liters
SilverStone SG07/SG08 -14.8 liters
SilverStone FT03-MINI ----17.6 liters
Lian-Li PC-Q18 --------------21.1 liters
BitFenix Prodigy ------------36.3 liters

I like it. I've been wishing someone would release a case like this for a while now.

I love slim cases but I could do without the granite base....

But then you couldn't drink a glass of wine with it. Image nabbed off their website.

tiki-wine-dimensions_3.png

I agree that the case alone would be neat. Can't see myself paying $1900 for it.

Actually, it is impressively small considering that it can fit a GTX 680 with three drives. For comparison, below are some other Mini-ITX cases that can fit the same amount of hardware or more:

You forgot the SG05 at 10.8L. It has been shown to be able to take a GTX 680 and while it can only take 2 drives officially, it could fit three if required.

I like this case too and really there is nothing to stop someone from making a custom like this. The layout would make a great HTPC/gaming combo as well if laid on its side.

I like the size and layout. I prefer towers to "shoebox" style cases.

Things I don't like (mostly aesthetics):

-Falcon NW's logo. Looks like something from a high school art class.
-Front panel doesn't flow into/sit flush with the rest of the case, particularly at the corners.
-Top vent design. Prefer simpler.
-Top I/O & switches look haphazardly arranged.
-Granite base. Really?
-Expensive; can't purchase only the case.

Overall it seems like a hodgepodge of design without any coherent direction.

I'd love a case like this, but only if a company with better designers made it (e.g. Fractal).

Wow, that's some bullshit by FNW, hope that guy sues their ass into the ground

I'm not even a person who would normally sue someone, but I would definitely consider it in his situation. :)

Makes me almost want to not buy the case if they ever become available.

Is that 36.3 with the handles, the front panel, and the rear screws?

Nice case but gluing it to a huge chunk of granite seems highly unnecessary.

someone is/was doing this. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156077
however, looks like he might have given up since he said fnw stole his idea http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2662932#post2662932

oh please. him and everybody else who thought this case design up. there have been cases with these features for years. the riser card to fit pci-e parallel to mini-itx board is not new.

what is new is somebody putting it all together in the dimensions ideal for a high end workstation or gamer case. only FNW put the money in to do it. I just wish they did it sooner, like 5 years ago when I first thought this up. Imma sue myself

oh please. him and everybody else who thought this case design up. there have been cases with these features for years. the riser card to fit pci-e parallel to mini-itx board is not new.

what is new is somebody putting it all together in the dimensions ideal for a high end workstation or gamer case. only FNW put the money in to do it. I just wish they did it sooner, like 5 years ago when I first thought this up. Imma sue myself

cool story bro

Now for a more constructive reply on this topic from me:

FNW used that folded SECC material for their case, which is heavy to begin with, hence the need for
the granite base to balance it off, which makes the whole deal that much heavier and less portable.
A huge part of the whole idea of a case like this, besides saving desktop/livingroom space, is to be portable.
It has to be light enough for me to pick it up, stick it in my (small) backpack along with a few peripherals
and bike to the nearest private or public LAN party, bring it to work or just about anywhere else.

What FNW made here is a fancy but absolutely impractical and overpriced computer.

/IMHO

FNW used that folded SECC material for their case, which is heavy to begin with, hence the need for
the granite base to balance it off, which makes the whole deal that much heavier and less portable.
A huge part of the whole idea of a case like this, besides saving desktop/livingroom space, is to be portable.
It has to be light enough for me to pick it up, stick it in my (small) backpack along with a few peripherals
and bike to the nearest private or public LAN party, bring it to work or just about anywhere else.

What FNW made here is a fancy but absolutely impractical and overpriced computer.

/IMHO

just put the case on it's side, problem solved :D

I really don't think they intend for it to be a portable LAN case, clearly like you said, it's too heavy.

/IMHO

the extra weight of the case compared to aluminum is not why they chose a rock base. and the rock base would clip on and off. and the case would not be heavy for its size or contents.

this case is unquestionably portable unless you are a sissy little girly man

It'll magically become lighter, just by laying on it's side :rolleyes:

possibly the lowest volume and weight enthusiast desktop case ever and you can't stop talking about the weight. I think you should keep your weight fetish to yourself

So I wonder if Lian Li/Silverstone will release a case that ships with a riser card... I'd love to see something like this fall into the builder market.

The SG05 and upcoming SG09 are already almost solid bricks with little wasted space. This could turn into a beastly HTPC case though.

Back