Failure: PSU? Vid Card? or both?

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
Just ran into an odd problem today with my computer.

General symptoms: upon pressing the power button, the system will turn on (HD's spin up, power/HD LEDs light up) and then turn off...and then turn on...and then turn off...etc. I don't think the system POSTed because it didn't seem to be on long enough, nothing showed up on the monitors, and there were no trademark 'beeps', if you will.

An on/off cycle only took about a second or so.

I run a dual monitor setup, and I found that if I unplugged one of the monitors (didn't matter which one, whether it be the one thru DVI or the one thru DVI-->VGA), the system would boot fine. But the moment I tried to boot with a second monitor attached, I'd get the power on/off cycling that isn't exactly very healthy for my HDs.

Once I booted into windows, I found that I couldn't actually turn on the other monitor-->i.e., windows couldn't detect the presence of the second monitor. Odd.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out whether this is a PSU-related problem (which was my original guess) or a video card-related problem (which is my current guess).

Specs of my machine are in the sig, plus the following for the PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256001

Any thoughts?

Try the monitor on another PC
Try the graphics card on another PC
Try another PSU with that PC
Make sure that all the necessary power cables are plugged in.

hm..don't really have another PC at my disposal :/ (I suppose the monitors could be tested on the lappy, but I highly doubt it's the monitors' problem)

4-pin power connector is plugged into the 8800gt as usual.

Not sure exactly what to make of the problem, as I can still play games and/or run 3dmark no problem.

bleh @ random issues.

Back