• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Failing two P95 tests.

therail

n00b
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
27
My error says to be : FATAL ERROR: Rounding was .5, expected less than .4

It says to read stress.txt, but I dont see it. Anyone have a link to this file?

The reason for a test was to check stability of my new OC, for a C2Q. I pretty much follow the above stickied guide to the letter, but here are the numbers. 9 x 333, 5-5-5-12 @ 1.9, DRAM 667, CPU freq 333, PCI-e 100 MHz, PCI Clock, 33.33 with a CPU v of 1.270.

Let me know if more info is needed, thanks guys!
 
If your system failed the P95 test, then your OC is not stable. Up the voltage a bit at time until you finally get a stable OC or stable P95 run. Though I would run Orthos as well.
 
OK, thank you very much for the rapid response. I'll try upping my voltage and see how things go. Is there any set way to do this, or just trial and error?
 
What HSF are you using? the stock Intel one?

IIRC, the max safe temp for the Q6600 is 65C. Or was that 85C?
 
What HSF are you using? the stock Intel one?

IIRC, the max safe temp for the Q6600 is 65C. Or was that 85C?

It will thermal-shutdown at 85C, seen it happen. Mine is running at 65C right now :p
 
Are you running small FTT, blend, or large FTTs? You might need to give your RAM 2.0 volts - what kind is it?
 
The RAM is corsair DDR2 800, CM2X1024-6400C4. I just passed the first small FTT. However I had core temps averaging around 73* C, and peaking at 75*. That's a little toasty for me. To pass, I set the ram at 5-5-5-15, I'll try the 5-5-5-12 again and see how it goes. CPU-Z showed vcore around 1.35-1.36.

Any recommendations on NB/SB voltages?
 
What HSF are you using? the stock Intel one?

IIRC, the max safe temp for the Q6600 is 65C. Or was that 85C?

I thought I read 62 in the how-to. Ya, it's a stock cooler altogether. I wanna go water cooled, but I do need to eat.

reset to 1.400 and 5-5-5-12
 
for a stock cooler u should keep ur VCORE at or under 1.35 and temps should def stay under 72C...

no need for water. probably a Tuniq Tower or an Artic Freezer 7 Pro, those are both substantially better than the stock cooler which sucks!

water yields marginal gains with a high price. its really not worth it unless you've got some money to burn or are trying to get the absolute max OC which really isn't worth the extra $100/100mhz
 
If you have a G0 Q6600, then your core temperatures are technically safe up to 100C, which is the thermal shutdown temp of the chip (B3 stepping quads have a lower core temp thresh-hold.) Many people, however, would recommend not exceeding 70C at load for an every-day long-term OC.

You are free of course to determine your own limit. My personal guide is that when Prime95 gets chips up past 78C, it's time to back down. This higher limit for myself is in recognition of several factors, the largest of which is the fact that Prime 95 will run cores considerably hotter and for a considerably longer time than any other program used in daily operation, and that the chances of hardware failure or shortened lifespan due to 8 hours of running a chip 25 degrees short of thermal shutdown are very unlikely (although not impossible.)

As for the failures, this is par for the course in OCing. Finding a max OC is about raising speed and ceiling. You raise your speed up until you hit a ceiling specified by the current voltage running through the chip. You then raise the ceiling by upping the voltage, and then raise the speed again until you've hit the new ceiling. When you see Prime failing, you're at or near a ceiling -- so simply raise it a little bit by upping the vCore until Prime doesn't fail. As raising the ceiling raises the heat produced by the chip, you need to determine how hot you'll allow your chip to get when stress-testing it (as discussed above.)

If the chip gets too hot before you've reached the OC speed you really would like to have, then it's time to consider better cooling. If you find that you've raised vCore a considerable amount (say a tenth or so, provided it is still within load spec of 1.5v) but still can't reach a stable speed, then might want to consider a new chip -- your CPU might not OC as well as you hoped.

Mark.
 
Today at work I lapped my stock HS and CPU. Upon returning home I applied new paste set off to stress tests, but the heat was still high, 78. So I'm wondering, does that paste need to get warmed up and broken in, if you will, before it reaches peak efficiency?
 
Today at work I lapped my stock HS and CPU. Upon returning home I applied new paste set off to stress tests, but the heat was still high, 78. So I'm wondering, does that paste need to get warmed up and broken in, if you will, before it reaches peak efficiency?

It'll get a little better as it sets, but only a couple of degrees at most.
 
I cannot keep my temps down with this thing. 1.3375V to keep a frq of 333x9 stable, and with a large high velocity fan I still read 77 from Speedfan. Turn the fan off, and they shoot through the roof. I may give up this OC thing. What other numbers are there to adjust when doing an OC?
 
I cannot keep my temps down with this thing. 1.3375V to keep a frq of 333x9 stable, and with a large high velocity fan I still read 77 from Speedfan. Turn the fan off, and they shoot through the roof. I may give up this OC thing. What other numbers are there to adjust when doing an OC?

yes, if youre still using the stock cooler, give it up, u won't get any better temps with an OC.

u can either turn down the volatages and/or fsb, or get a better cooler like the Tuniq tower or Artic cooler freezer 7 pro
 
I like that Tuniq tower, I may have to acquire one. Is that all you have chilling your 3.55 Q6600 Louisssss?
 
If you have time to lap the stock cooler just get a TRUE or Tuniq Tower (after making sure they'll fit in your case). Now that you've lapped your cpu you'll need to lap whatever new HSF you get as well, though.
 
Haha, I'm a machinist, so lapping doesn't bother me. I have often wondered how I would setup this things on the surface grinder, that's how things get reaaalllly flat.
 
I like that Tuniq tower, I may have to acquire one. Is that all you have chilling your 3.55 Q6600 Louisssss?

yes that is all i have attached to my CPU. case cooling consists of a rear 3200rpm 120x38mm Delta fan about an inch away from the Tuniq tower. thats probably helping it a bit
 
Ordered my Tuniq tower just now with 3day from newegg. Any installation tips?
 
Ordered my Tuniq tower just now with 3day from newegg. Any installation tips?

yea take it slow!
+
when tightening the screws into the backplate, do each at little at a time, make sure each screw is in, then tighten each maybe 1-2 full circles at a time to ensure even pressure on the CPU, or else you'll have high variances across ur core temps
 
Got it installed today, this thing is huge. Seems to work quite well, but I have one question. What does everyone do with that rheostat? I'd like to have my fan controlled automatically, how can this be achieved? Thanks for the help guys.
 
we seem to be having the exact same problem with the same chip but Im running a P5B deluxe....after about 5 mintues 2 of my cores will quit running the test giving the exact same error you get, and I can't find that log its talking about either.

I am also running between 160-170F (dont know "C" I keep it on "F") another weird thing is that the volts are changing like crazy on their own....I guess I have it set to auto in the BIOS. I just installed last night though and was more interested in gaming, which I did for about 3hrs and never had a single problem until running prime95
 
Got it installed today, this thing is huge. Seems to work quite well, but I have one question. What does everyone do with that rheostat? I'd like to have my fan controlled automatically, how can this be achieved? Thanks for the help guys.

How are your temps with this new cooler? I'm pushing my stock HSF but not the max by any means. Is there a good thread around here for CPU coolers, modestly priced and super-silent?
 
Back
Top