Failed XP Home -> XP Pro Upgrade

killerasp

Gawd
I managed to upgrade a copy of XP Home to XP pro. But after first reboot after install, it wont get past the windows XP logo screen before rebooting itself. None of the safe modes work. No matter what, it just reboots itself at the XP pro boot logo.There are no error msgs. I have no clue how to fix this. It has only occured after upgrade. Is there a way i can downgrade?

Try to search in control panel > add/remove programs > add or remove windows components. If the upgrade is listed, you can uninstall it.

You can insert the home CD and do a repair install. This shouldn't be happening, can you still boot like BartPE on that machine?

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I have to ask this (Don't take offense please) Is the copy of XP Pro legit? I have heard reports of the XP Pro Warez addition doing stuff like that, since WPA agent is failing.

Endeavour said:
Try to search in control panel > add/remove programs > add or remove windows components. If the upgrade is listed, you can uninstall it.

umm...doesn't he actually need to be able to get into Windows to get to the control panel?

I have to ask this (Don't take offense please) Is the copy of XP Pro legit? I have heard reports of the XP Pro Warez addition doing stuff like that, since WPA agent is failing.
I was thinking the same thing......

yeah, its a real copy. i made a BartPE bootcd and im going to try to get networking working on it, ghost it and do a full XP pro install.

man..im really stuck. I got the plugins installed in BartPE, but being that its a laptop, the network drivers wont install the built in NIC. Nero doesnt work and there is no point in ghosting it if i cant network it. MAn...im screwed. ANy ideas?

there is 40 gigs free. i was thinking of installing RH9. Partition the freespace and put RH9 on it. And mount the drive in RH9, network it and back everything up. Does that sound feasable?

Here's what I would do. I would partition the drive using something like Partition Magic so the original partitilon with all your data was saved. Install WinXP on the new partition, get your data copied over and backed up. Then if you feel you need to wipe the whole drive and start fresh, you can do so.

Option two, would be to remove the drive and install it in another working XP machine as the slave. Can this be done with a drive from a laptop? Copy all the data you need saved to the PC's drive, stick it back into the laptop and format it and install the OS.

I would prefer option two if it was feasible. I have know idea if a 2.5" IDE drive is compatible with a desktop machine. But if it was, there would be lower risk of losing your data. Partition Magic while a great program, sometimes can't cope with extremely corrupt disks and will usually let you know ahead of time.

Good Luck.

There are adapters, they cost about 10 bucks, you can find them at computer hardware stores. (You can also make em, but that's now worth the pain)

Can you boot BartPE and get the setuplog.txt, the setupapi.log, etc out of the C:\windows\
directory?

Can you double check the runonce items in the registry to make sure they aren't causing this?

Back