FAHClient V7.1.21 released (1st Open-Beta)

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18034

Looks like Langouste might be obsolete:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18043
Just a few FAQ for those who want to right jump in
by bruce » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 am

I just want to hilight a few common questions that a lot of people will have:

This is a new client, not new FahCores. With the exception of FahCore_16, you'll still get assignments of the same projects and will earn exactly the same PPD.
FAHViewer only works with FahCores which produce a current.xyz file, so for most people it will show a demo protein.
Third party monitoring programs such as HFM and FahMon and FCI have not yet been updated to work with V7.
If you configure a Windows service in Win7/Vista, GPUs cannot fold. (Limitation by Microsoft).
New WUs will be downloaded not long before the current WU finishes; That WU will start processing while the previous results are being uploaded.
A "slot" is a new concept probably best defined by an example. If you have been running several V6 clients on a single OS, you will now be running one FAHClient with several slots.
You will probably never use a command-line parameters. With FAHControl, you can change your configuration as needed.
The more complex your installation, the more you'll need to read the documentation.

Heh first bug is that it ignores the unchecked autostart! It grabbed a unit right away.
original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
downloaded, probably going to put it on the 1090T tomorrow

Since my folding rigs are doing nothing but bigadv, I will probably just stick with what I have. It is finally nice to get a GUI like what currently exists with the classic uniprocessor systray client.

My uploads are quite slow - about 15-20 mins, so it will be worth my while to use the new client simply for the bit extra PPD per day.

Assuming it works!

It will be interesting to load this on the borgs I'm buiding this weekend.

I am gonna have to do some reading on this. It looks overly complicated compared to the older console clients. I have nothing running a GUI atm, so all the fancy graphics aren;t going to do me any good.

I am gonna have to do some reading on this. It looks overly complicated compared to the older console clients. I have nothing running a GUI atm, so all the fancy graphics aren;t going to do me any good.

It's definitely "different" to the older console clients, but when you play with it a bit, its fairly simple. There's two parts to it - the FAHClient which manages and runs the core's, and FAHControl where you configure, manage and monitor the clients.

Couple of gotcha's with it:
- If you set it up as SMP during install, it'll grab a regular SMP unit as soon as the client starts, before you get a chance to configure bigadv.

- If you set it to use less than 8 cores for SMP - you will NOT get BigAdv units.

- If you're on Vista or Win 7, the client cannot run as a service if you want to Fold GPU.

H.

Hmmm, and HTF are we to configure the Krakken on Linux?... I take it HFM etc are obsolete?

This looks like a pretty big deal.

Hmmm, and HTF are we to configure the Krakken on Linux?... I take it HFM etc are obsolete?

This looks like a pretty big deal.

The Krakken may still work - I haven't tried it yet. Intend to tomorrow.

HFM will need to be updated for the new log format, but if that is done, I wouldn't call it obsolete - its superior to the client in my opinion.

No BigAdv with less than 8 cores enabled, yeah I can see some people being unhappy with that. However, you can still run the V6 client, where you can do BigAdv with -smp 7.

H.

It won't run worth a damn for me. It isn't able to download the A5 core, it can't get work for my 5870, and it EUEs constantly on my GTX 260, even after I tried reducing it to stock speed. Uninstalled and back to v6. Someone let me know if they figure out how to get it working properly.

Zero82,

If you want to send me your config.xml and log.txt I'll take a look. They're in c:\programdata\fahclient.

Email is hamish at haitch dot net.

I'm crunching an A5 and a Core_11 on a GTX260 on this machine right now.

H.

-bigbeta - presumably bigadv beta

If that was meant to be public, it stongly implies that we will be able to run beta work units - similar to selecting advmethods.

The info is public, it's part of the change to greater transparency of what is going on with the project - however, there is no bonus for running beta units, in fact you'll probably get lower PPD results than you will with bigadv and other public methods.

AFAIK Stanford will provide zero support for people running the beta flags unless they are members of the beta team. Anyone can apply to be a member of the beta team.

H.

Zero82,

If you want to send me your config.xml and log.txt I'll take a look. They're in c:\programdata\fahclient.

Email is hamish at haitch dot net.

I'm crunching an A5 and a Core_11 on a GTX260 on this machine right now.

H.
Those files are actually located in C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient. I'll e-mail them to you shortly.

I'm also very much not a fan of how the logs of all running cores are combined into one file, although I think you can get around this by making multiple clients on one machine.

Those files are actually located in C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient. I'll e-mail them to you shortly.

You're correct - if you install just for you they go to your profile, if you set for anyone on the computer it goes to c:\programdata\fahclient.

H.

My uploads are quite slow - about 15-20 mins, so it will be worth my while to use the new client simply for the bit extra PPD per day.

Assuming it works!

Its odd you think that is slow.. that is less time then my uploads with regular SMP units take. Well, except for the ones that are only like 3mb.

[H]ugh_Freak;1037040907 said:
Its odd you think that is slow.. that is less time then my uploads with regular SMP units take. Well, except for the ones that are only like 3mb.

I did not know that was slow - until I found out the hard way that the 6901 server had a 15 minute timeout when they set it up. I was then reliably informed by several folks bragging that they could upload in a few nanoseconds that my connection was shit. :p

The Krakken may still work - I haven't tried it yet. Intend to tomorrow.
The Krakken works fine here with the v7 client. Remember, the Krakken is just a wrapper for the A3 and A5 core.. it doesn't care what client you are running.

HFM support is still many weeks, if not months, away. Harlam hasn't been getting much support from the developers.

The info is public, it's part of the change to greater transparency of what is going on with the project - however, there is no bonus for running beta units, in fact you'll probably get lower PPD results than you will with bigadv and other public methods.

AFAIK Stanford will provide zero support for people running the beta flags unless they are members of the beta team. Anyone can apply to be a member of the beta team.

H.

Boy, this is several giant steps in the right direction.

Looking at the folder structure on linux it looks like the user config is at /etc/fahclient/config.xml

The cores are buried deep, deep deep beneath the earths crust at:
/var/lib/fahclient/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Linux/AMD64/Core_a3.fah/FahCore_a3

Logfile at:
/var/lib/fahclient/log.txt

How do I use chmod to give myself user access to the whole fahclient folder recursively, and share the folder with the log so I can try HFM? (I want to copy in the Krakken cores etc)

How do I use chmod to give myself user access to the whole fahclient folder recursively, and share the folder with the log so I can try HFM? (I want to copy in the Krakken cores etc)

You'd change file permissions with chown not chmod, but I'd stay away from messing with the permissions - way too easy to screw up. To do the Krakken install, do "sudo bash" - then you can install it all as root, then exit back to user mode.

To share the folder, Go to Places -> Computer. Browse to the fahclient folder, right click, select Sharing - enable the sharing. You may be prompted to install Windows Sharing Service - go ahead and install it. If you do need to install, you'll have to restart your session before you can enable sharing.

H.

I tried a hacky way of just copying in the patched cores and it restarted the SMP unit. Linux Loves Lazyboys Little....

I will wait for it to grab an A5 core, then try to install Krakken.

Ok, I am gunna press the "need Linux Superhero" button.

Trying to install Krakken.

FAHv7 is installed to a rats nest of folders, with cores in separate places. To install the Krakken I have to place the krakken files "in the client folder" which requires f*cking with permissions just to be able to put them there, then executing them after sudo bash - they cannot find the cores - looking for a *.exe version that is not there. Just in case i tried to run the installer from the client folder, and the deeply nested folder that has the core, neither worked.

I thought I might be able to get away with simply copying the krakken wrappers and cores from the other working installed FAH folder, and chopping off the *.exe but this aborts the WU.

Stumped.

And to top it off, the windows version on Sr2#1 won't work. I installed, and the client cannot communicate with itself - just gets stuck in a loop of attempting to communicate with the client then going offline, so you cannot configure it. I delete and try to recreate but it is stuffed out of the box. I even reinstalled the FAHv7 but no go.

Bedtime.

Trying to install Krakken.

FAHv7 is installed to a rats nest of folders, with cores in separate places. To install the Krakken I have to place the krakken files "in the client folder" which requires f*cking with permissions just to be able to put them there, then executing them after sudo bash - they cannot find the cores - looking for a *.exe version that is not there. Just in case i tried to run the installer from the client folder, and the deeply nested folder that has the core, neither worked.

I thought I might be able to get away with simply copying the krakken wrappers and cores from the other working installed FAH folder, and chopping off the *.exe but this aborts the WU.

Stumped.

I suspect this will require a re-write of the wrapper. Might be worth posting for tear wherever the original post was introducing the kraken wrapper. Looks like another third-party app this new version breaks...

So far for me I like it overall even though it looked a bit complicated at first. The thing that annoys me is that the logs for multiple slots are combined. I was folding with 2 GPUs at the time of this log.
Code:
03:32:56:Unit 01:Completed    500000 out of 50000000 steps (1%).
03:32:56:Unit 00:Completed    500000 out of 50000000 steps (1%).
03:33:56:Server connection id=2 on 0.0.0.0:36330 from 127.0.0.1:58842
03:34:43:Unit 01:Completed   1000000 out of 50000000 steps (2%).
03:34:43:Unit 00:Completed   1000000 out of 50000000 steps (2%).
03:36:29:Unit 01:Completed   1500000 out of 50000000 steps (3%).
03:36:31:Unit 00:Completed   1500000 out of 50000000 steps (3%).
03:38:16:Unit 01:Completed   2000000 out of 50000000 steps (4%).
03:38:18:Unit 00:Completed   2000000 out of 50000000 steps (4%).
03:40:03:Unit 01:Completed   2500000 out of 50000000 steps (5%).
03:40:07:Unit 00:Completed   2500000 out of 50000000 steps (5%).

I do like that the next WU is downloaded before the current one finishes.

It appeared to start crunching a standard SMP WU before I was able to set up bigadv. That is annoying.

Now we mug Tobit and beg him to tell us how he got it working.
Sorry, I forgot I had to tweak my install a bit and I'd rather not "support" the wrapper I had to make for the wrapper. I'd recommend those who benefit from the Krakken, stick with the v6 client. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

It appeared to start crunching a standard SMP WU before I was able to set up bigadv. That is annoying.

hspeirs warned about that issue in an earlier posting. I'd like to see it really allow a manual start once the slot is created.

hspeirs warned about that issue in an earlier posting. I'd like to see it really allow a manual start once the slot is created.

One possible workaround, download the installer, disconnect your network, install, configure, reconnect to the network.

H.

So far for me I like it overall even though it looked a bit complicated at first. The thing that annoys me is that the logs for multiple slots are combined. I was folding with 2 GPUs at the time of this log.
Yes, I already mentioned that. I don't see any good reason for that, and it obfuscates the log to the point of making it completely useless for figuring out what's going on, since there's no way to determine which core instance corresponds to which log entry.
One possible workaround, download the installer, disconnect your network, install, configure, reconnect to the network.

H.
That's a pain in the ass, especially if you're doing other things on the computer that require network access.

Beta cores are available to the public if they want to run with no support. In the slot for the GPU client, add the beta flag, start folding.

H.

So is this the new OpenCL core for ATI/AMD GPUs? I'm going to have to try this when I get home from work tonight!

Back