Facebook Unfriending 'Bug' Gets Quick Fix

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well that was quick! Damn, that sucks, it was kinda fun to see who unfriended you. No worries, you can just go back to the old way of finding out....wait until Facebook "recommends" someone to you that used to be on your friends list. Busted. :D

As expected, folks who have access to Timeline rushed to the new feature to see who had decided against keeping in contact. Meanwhile, some privacy advocates complained that the feature was a violation of user privacy, since it was made abundantly clear to de-friended people who no longer wanted contact with them. After just a couple days of outcry, Facebook nixed the feature, telling some reporters it had been a bug.

Failbook reason #281710

and counting...

I see it bombing by 2014, for sure..... 2015 it will meet the social media grave with myspace, friendster, and livejournal (each lasted 3 years roughly after becoming the "it" thing in social media, then died -- research it, i already did)

Oh, you mean those social networking sites that consisted of only 13-25 year olds that topped out at 115 million users (friendster)? Facebook has over 800 million and growing rapidly (They've gained over 50 million users since June)

Facebook isn't going anywhere except more integrated into the rest of your life.

pft, i just wish they could sort out the chat list... mine will say for example, (7) and ill look, and there will be 16 people on

pft, i just wish they could sort out the chat list... mine will say for example, (7) and ill look, and there will be 16 people on

Yeah that new sidebar chat list doesn't make any sense to me. It randomly displays only certain friends, then those online are randomly scattered in no particular order - then there is a break and it says, "More Friends." WTH?

Yeah that new sidebar chat list doesn't make any sense to me. It randomly displays only certain friends, then those online are randomly scattered in no particular order - then there is a break and it says, "More Friends." WTH?

im not even sure if i have the 'current' side bar, i have the old style friends window down the bottom :confused:

Failbook reason #281710

and counting...

I see it bombing by 2014, for sure..... 2015 it will meet the social media grave with myspace, friendster, and livejournal (each lasted 3 years roughly after becoming the "it" thing in social media, then died -- research it, i already did)
Nice alt account there Dylan, lol. Took me a while but after seeing you follow the same pattern as he did I am now sure of it.

To bad I didnt get to see this"bug", lol. Then again I don't really care who un-friends me :).

Or, you know, you could always use Unfriend Finder, an extension for google chrome....ever since the unfriend bug thingy came about I've been amazed how few people know about this...especially on hardocp....i've had the gift/curse of knowing who's unfriended me for most of this year....

more like every 1 person that has an account actually has 6 :)
Much like here or any other website for that matter.
You people act like others having multiple accounts is just a FB thing, ha, try again. Do you really think there are 152,262 separate actual users here on [H]? Hell the first commenter has 2 that I know of and I'm sure he will make another soon ;).

more like every 1 person that has an account actually has 6 :)

I know I have 3 (it was for some stupid competition thing on steam...:p) and I don't even know the logins...or username...to any of them...

Much like here or any other website for that matter.
You people act like others having multiple accounts is just a FB thing, ha, try again. Do you really think there are 152,262 separate actual users here on [H]? Hell the first commenter has 2 that I know of and I'm sure he will make another soon ;).

I actually technically have 2. Well...I fumbled the keyboard during the first attempt and missed off the final s :( After this one got approved I switched straight away. :D (actually a mod should delete that one or something it's a dead account, I think I know the login even...)

I know lots of people make accounts for the competitions (like facebook). Buuut if they made it so people with 50 posts could enter the mods would have to remove 1000x the spam. But it probably isn't on the scale of facebook. With it's constant competition crap feeding into it, swelling the numbers and making it seem even more like a juicy target... Even though advertizers report that ads on facebook are a giant waste of time... I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least 3 accounts on that site.

It's a bug.
The chat window display works perfectly in IE9, but it's butchered bugged (just like it was months ago, when they made the first changes to the chat bar, to show options and stuff) in IE8. When the original changes appeared, there was no IE9, and some accounts that you didn't "upgrade" to the new style still worked perfectly, while upgraded settings were glitched...

i will be friend you and tell you to your face if you are not doing anything on facebook besides spam me with stupid games,.

Greasemonkey + Unfriend Finder to save you the trouble of manually figuring it out. I'm not sure why anyone has the expectation that when you unfriend someone they won't know. Facebook could at least not show them to you as a recommendation.

So almost 1 in 6 people have a facebook account...:rolleyes: I think you know thats bullshit :p

Quoted from facebook:

Daily Active Users: 500,000,000

Even if 33% of those users had 1 more alias that they also checked daily (Which, honestly, I highly doubt), that would equal 330,000,000 unique users worldwide == almost double the reported user base (for argument sake, they are all unique) of both friendster and myspace combined when they peaked.

I can't say that I know more than a hand full of people without unique accounts and probably 90% of those people are neighbors or family friends with one spouse having an account for both (Whom are mostly adults above the age of 40).

I'm sorry that the idea of distributing information about your life upsets you, but its not going to stop for the vast majority. And honestly, what are you afraid of people finding?

Quoted from facebook:

Even if 33% of those users had 1 more alias that they also checked daily (Which, honestly, I highly doubt), that would equal 330,000,000 unique daily users worldwide == almost double the reported user base of both friendster and myspace combined, without discounting aliases and pure daily users, when they peaked.

I can't say that I know more than a hand full of people without unique accounts and probably 90% of those people are neighbors or family friends with one spouse having an account for both (Whom are mostly adults above the age of 40).

I'm sorry that the idea of distributing information about your life upsets you, but its not going to stop for the vast majority. And honestly, what are you afraid of people finding?
Most people do things in life for two reasons: 1. They enjoy them and 2. They get satisfaction from other's envy over what they enjoy. So why not post about it?

Deleted my Facebook account, the last round of changes made it unusable to me and future data mining plans I'm totally against.

I expect Facebook to follow MySpace in the next few years, they took a simple format and screwed it up.

Quoted from facebook:

So you are taking a single source...a site known for lying and bullshit...the only source saying this, and presenting that as conclusive evidence? :p

It's a very...round number.

Back