Facebook & Twitter Banned in France

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get this...the words Twitter and Facebook have been banned from French airwaves. Why? Who knows? Actually, who cares, it is funny as hell. :D

The latest one doubtless would rank high on that list. This week we learned that France’s broadcasting regulator had just issued another decree: henceforth, hosts of television and radio programmes must refrain from uttering the words “Facebook” and “Twitter” on the air.

Well, the reason is obvious.

France obviously believes that the country might fall to a revolution. They must think that since their political system is too corrupt, that people will try a Facebook Revolution again.

I think it's only fair, these English names tend to invade other countries.
And it sounds so much better in French: "Follow us on cui cui."

The French have a really strong "we must protect our culture" ethic, and there are literally government departments that exist to make sure that the French language doesn't become corrupted by stuff imported from outside, and this would be part of that.

I lived in France for a few years, and one one of the big debates in the country was whether to allow the anglicized word "e-mail" to be used, instead of the French "Courriel" in official stuff, or by businesses, when I left the jury was still out :p

Part of me thinks it silly and anachronistic, part of me respects their commitment to their culture, and suspects that Americans in southern stats who feel like they have to learn Spanish to get anything done would be sympathetic :p

Maybe they'll go back to writing letters and riding horses instead of emailing and driving.

Why oh why can't this be happening in the US. I'm so tired of every goddamn commercial, tv show, news program, and everything else possible having facebook and twitter logos and ads in them.

Seriously. Ads within ads. Where does it stop?

FINALLY, france did something right. This makes up for that stupid gaddafi attack that is now costing the US billion$$$ more.

facebook and twitter have been getting too much press since day one.

the only reason they stayed relevant was that the TV shows were always saying "facebook this, twitter that". People have become dumber because of these 2 websites.
People no longer know how to spell because they feel they need to cram shit into 160 letters.

FB is a disease.

now, big manufacturers are redirecting people to FB instead of their own websites.

coca cola is no longer advertising coke.com, which is easy to remember.
instead, they are redirecting to a fucking ugly website at www.facebook.com/cocacola.

FINALLY, france did something right. This makes up for that stupid gaddafi attack that is now costing the US billion$$$ more.

facebook and twitter have been getting too much press since day one.

the only reason they stayed relevant was that the TV shows were always saying "facebook this, twitter that". People have become dumber because of these 2 websites.
People no longer know how to spell because they feel they need to cram shit into 160 letters.

FB is a disease.

now, big manufacturers are redirecting people to FB instead of their own websites.

coca cola is no longer advertising coke.com, which is easy to remember.
instead, they are redirecting to a fucking ugly website at www.facebook.com/cocacola.

Your an idiot and the concept of a free country eludes you.

They'll use other words. "Bookface" and "Tweeter". No big thing.

I can see where they are coming from to a point. That is true, they are singling out 2 companies and promoting that you use them and nobody else. you don't see them telling you to go to myspace or any other social network site. They are only telling you about these two largest ones, which of course they do as that is where most people have accounts, but as a result, new people go to facebook and twitter, which makes them bigger which makes more people tell you to go to them,... media is feeding only those two sites, so to be fair to all of different companies out there you just don't mention any of them.

But at the same time I think you should be able to promote whatever you want. If you want to go on air every night and proclaim how much you love pepsi over coke then go right ahead. Sure Coke will probably pull all of their advertising from you but that should be all you need to worry about. There shouldn't be laws in place that prevent you from saying the word coke or pepsi. Which in this case sounds like what is happening here, there is a law in place that you can't promote one company over other which is what is happening with facebook and twitter.

Part of me thinks it silly and anachronistic, part of me respects their commitment to their culture, and suspects that Americans in southern stats who feel like they have to learn Spanish to get anything done would be sympathetic :p

More like "Pathetic" and I'm an native Castillian Speaker.

I chuckle every time someone flips out over social networks being a disease or making people stupid.

Do you honestly not realize social networks are just like how the internet is? It's a method/platform for communication. Everyone gets their own usage out of it, just ignore what you don't want to hear about.

Also, complaining about Faceboook and Twitter getting all the mentions is just stupid. They're the only ones that are so run-away popular, so they're the only ones worth mentioning. If you honestly believe they still should not be mentioned, you should also not want companies referring to their website instead of their printed materials.

well, here comes the little notes in bottom of TVs

American News: and in our top stories, French television network has figure out a way to get french people to read news on facbook and twitter by adding footnotes on their screens

Translation from French: "And you can read the entire story at our F";.CB/;ook and Tw/';it'/; ter pages."

well, here comes the little notes in bottom of TVs

American News: and in our top stories, French television network has figure out a way to get french people to read news on facbook and twitter by adding footnotes on their screens

Translation from French: "And you can read the entire story at our F";.CB/;ook and Tw/';it'/; ter pages."

lol

I lived in France for a few years, and one one of the big debates in the country was whether to allow the anglicized word "e-mail" to be used, instead of the French "Courriel" in official stuff, or by businesses, when I left the jury was still out :p

I think that example is perfectly understandable. Facebook and Twitter though are proper names.

Seriously. Ads within ads. Where does it stop?

At the power button on your TV. I'm serious.

I barely ever turn my TV on for "standard viewing" anymore. I just watch some stuff on the History Channel / Science channel, or some sports. The things I do watch, I record on my HTPC and then skip the commercials anyways.

Facebook ..... Twitter ..... modern versions of BBS's from the 80's and 90's.

Kids these days, they just don't get it.

The French have a really strong "we must protect our culture" ethic, and there are literally government departments that exist to make sure that the French language doesn't become corrupted by stuff imported from outside, and this would be part of that.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The French really do have a strong sense of culture and generally get pissed off that they have to anglicize new words all the time.

A friend of mine told me they all speak English, but they will completely ignore you or pretend not to understand you UNLESS you at least try to speak a few words in French to them first.

Part of me also thinks that's understandable, I feel the same way to a lot of Mexicans down here that can't speak English.

Funny how they ban words as a threat to french culture yet they let muslims overrun their nation.

Facebook and Twitter don't threaten to kill thier kids in nightclubs and at bus-stops if they are offended.

^^ Truth. :(

Another win for big government and tyranny and another loss for free speech and individual liberty.

That's a really polite way to say the French are xenophobic as fuck and still stop at nothing to deny reality.

Are the words doucebags or asshats banned there? Those are the first words that came to mind when I read this.

Back