Facebook Tests Dislike Button on Messages

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Facebook is bringing reaction emojis to their messenger service, and with it comes the long-rumored dislike button. While this isn’t any guarantee that it will come to the social media site, it may suggest that Facebook is giving the idea some real thought. Their excuse is that a dislike button could create a lot of negativity around posts, but I am pretty sure most of the content is already deplorable as-is.

…the Messenger reaction list differs from the News Feed one because of the addition of much-requested and always-denied Dislike button. Though it’s known as Facebook’s most asked for feature, the company didn’t want to inject too much negativity into the feed so it never built one. Instead, it built Reactions so people could share more nuanced emotions quickly, but left disliking for the comments. Facebook sees it as more a “no” button, the company tells me. It says people often use Messenger for planning and coordination, and it’s experimenting to see if a reactions are helpful for quick logistics and voting. That’s why it’s offering a Yes/No option, even though people will naturally see it as a Dislike button too.

I've heard this so many times, I'm not sure I believe it now. :p

Obligatory picture of Humble Bellows:

43.jpg

"My humble eyes will believe it, when my humble eyes see it."

about damn time i need to shit on my family members dumb ass posts on facebook.

At a time when so many other companies are removing it from their services because it makes stupid people feel bad.

You know that someone, somewhere will kill themselves because of this feature and Facebook will be pressured to remove it.

kinda agree with this dislike button, too many negative comments on the web, some people dislikes things personally and others just does it for laugh. They should also allowed to post anonymously, I hate when I want to say something but keep my identity private but I cant, so I don't comment. If Anyone knows how to post anonymously without creating a new facebook account, let me know.

Maybe get rid of all the buttons. Maybe ask people to type out a response to it so you can spark conversation and get to know people better? Seems crazy summing up your emotional reactions to something in 5-6 little faces and a like or dislike button.

Back