Facebook Released New Tool to Delete Your Data

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In the wake of the ongoing Cambridge Analytica scandal, Facebook is releasing new tools to make privacy settings, as well as deleting your data easier to find. The system is focused around a new Privacy Shortcuts menu, where users can can control the data Facebook collects in just a few taps, instead of "having settings spread across nearly 20 different screens."

Seems a bit too little too late in my opinion. And it's tough to say whether or not admitting that the old system was convoluted will help or hurt them as Zuckerberg goes to testify before Congress. At least is better than the "Deal with it" we got from them yesterday.

We’ve heard loud and clear that privacy settings and other important tools are too hard to find and that we must do more to keep people informed. So in addition to Mark Zuckerberg’s announcements last week - cracking down on abuse of the Facebook platform, strengthening our policies, and making it easier for people to revoke apps’ ability to use your data - we’re taking additional steps in the coming weeks to put people more in control of their privacy.

Too late, deleted my FB acct yesterday. Had been sitting on the fence for a while, just finally pulled the trigger. Only real way to send a message to them. I hope that lots of people start to do the same thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

I never liked nor trusted Zuckerberg and didn't much care for all the changes they had been making to monetize the platform, but stayed on because it was the most convenient place to keep in touch with friends and family.
I really wish a viable competitor would come along to provide an alternative, like Lyft does for Uber...

I doubt they delete anything. They probably just hide it from the public.

They will lose some accounts, but not enough to matter. Most people just say, "Well, I have nothing to hide." and keep on trucking along.

Probably some tos that says if you delete it you no longer own it.

Your garbage becomes Facebook's property

I heard tell that Facebook does delete all data within a 90 day period after user request. However, it seems as if this only occurs for European users. Facebook is audited to make sure this happens. Knowing FB, they probably find ways to work around this.

Don't think that is the case state side.

Intentionally too hard to find. That's why they were on so many different screens, it served to confuse the user, and I assume, get them to go to another screen without saving their changes (reverting to default).

It's one step up from just ignoring the settings all together (Placebo settings).

Don't need to delete data if I never game them any. Get on my level.

You did though. Read the other recent threads to find out why. tl:dr they took data even if you didn't have an account, lots of data.

Which brings me to a point. It's okay opting out, deleting your account data etc.. But what about all the Shadow accounts that nobody asked for.. like when people bought a phone and FB app was running in the background harvesting everything ? Or when they put a like button every web page and nobody agreed to that simply by visiting the website that they could profile you. And what about the 'pixel' where they installed per site ?

So yea, what about the nigh on perfect shadow accounts which is undeniably YOU with mail addresses, home addresses, location, SMS, web history, call history, friends & associations and all the other stuff they calculated you as ( political leaning etc..) Do we have to create an account and then delete it and how would we associate it directly ?! Will this be required to be deleted under the new European GDPR rules ? What about the new US data laws coming out, same question ..

i mean will they even really delete the data ? How many times will we hear in future that they loopholed out of a failed audit.

I heard tell that Facebook does delete all data within a 90 day period after user request. However, it seems as if this only occurs for European users. Facebook is audited to make sure this happens. Knowing FB, they probably find ways to work around this.

Don't think that is the case state side.

This is rather easy to fix. "Move" yourself virtually to a european country and access it via a VPN with a euro address so it looks even more convincing. Then delete your account. Facebook runs the risk of their euro auditors thinking youre a euro and its probably cheaper for them to just delete it all than deal with the hassle...

Hell you could even make a post on your way out saying youre illegal immigrating to a euro country. Fuck with them too.

I deleted mine about a month before all the cambridge thing happened. I had about 200 friends who had alll become strangers with nothing in common with that I don't care to see them and hear their inane opinions about pop culture soundbites I have never heard. So I de-uthorized it. It says very clearly in the dialog when you are closing the account that nothing gets deleted and they have the right to sell the "content".

I hope it goes the way of myspace, just fade out.

So the fine print actually says that FB has now put their information capturing buttons all in one easy place.

Back