Facebook Now Displays How Much Time You Spend on Facebook

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Back in June, TechCrunch reported that Facebook was working on a feature that tracks the time users spend on the social media platform. Apparently, that feature took some time to develop, as Facebook just rolled it out this week. On the surface, a way to track excessive Facebook usage seems like a good idea, and other social media platforms have been praised for developing similar features. But TechCrunch and other news organizations are calling this particular implementation "toothless". The feature isn't enabled by default, and it only sends an easily dismissible notifications when usage time is exceeded. Devices are not tracked separately, and there's no integration with Instagram.

But the biggest flaw remains that Your Time on Facebook treats all time the same. That seems to ignore the research Facebook itself has presented about digital well-being on social networks, as well as CEO Mark Zuckerberg's comments on what constitutes healthy and unhealthy behavior. Zuckerberg said on the Q1 2018 earnings call "the well-being research that we've done... suggests that when people use the internet for interacting with people and building relationships, that is correlated with all the positive measures of well-being that you'd expect - like longer term health and happiness, feeling more connected and less lonely - whereas just passively consuming content is not necessarily positive on those dimensions." Yet you can't tell active and passive Facebooking apart from the dashboard.

Did they add a way to track posts from pages you've subscribed to?

I didn't need them to roll this feature out to tell me how much time I spend on it. It's zero.

Why is facebook so obsessed with metering the time the fb shleeps spent doing whatever on their timelines?

This reeks of shady stalking.

Why is facebook so obsessed with metering the time the fb shleeps spent doing whatever on their timelines?

This reeks of shady stalking.
Seriously?
I imagine they've always been able to track how much time a user actually uses their service. As to why that time would be tracked and measured...the reasons should be obvious.
This is just a way for users to have access to that information.

Apple added a weekly usage feature with the iOS 12 which is pretty neat.
IMG_2389.PNG

I like them to have a feature telling you how many times you were blocked from posting because some groups of people didn't like what you posted, criticizing something, so they abused reporting button knowing the community standards is broken.
Would be nice if hey allow you to see who reported you too.
Ugh, 24 more days til unbanned.......

I don't have a problem with self control, so I don't need the limiting feature.

I am kind of curious though, how much time I have tallied up.

Unfortunately, the feature has not come to my phone yet.

Apple added a weekly usage feature with the iOS 12 which is pretty neat.
View attachment 121767

Wow, you barely use your phone at all.

Almost makes me wonder if it is worth spending money on a device and a service that gets so little use.

I don't let my phone interrupt my productivity or other interractions, but as soon as I am waiting in line, or am in a conference room waiting for a meeting to start, etc. etc, I'm immediately on my phone soaking up the latest information. (A lot of it from the [H] )

Here is my breakdown thus far today:

upload_2018-11-21_13-18-8.png

So I spend 2-3 times more time looking at facebook as I do staring at my launcher screen :p By far my greatest use is the web browser, and a good chunk of that time is here on the [H], in the Hardforums, or on Wikipedia trying to remember some detail of something that popped into my mind.

What I like about having a phone is never having to wonder about the answer to anything anymore. I am the type of person who has what ifs, or other questions about science, technology, history or the news pop into my head all the time throughout the day. I can't imagine going back to the time before you could have those questions instantly answered.

While I don't recall it bothering me back then, presumably because we were all used to it, today, the concept of thinking of something, even something as trivial as "I wonder what turkey chicks look like" or "I can't remember what year Volvo invented the three point seat belt" or "I can't remember the details of that soviet submarine grounding incident in Sweden in 1981"

Random thoughts and questions like this go through my mind, all day every day and not being able to quickly answer them would be extremely frustrating to me today. I am not OK with not knowing, pretty much anything, at least if it is knowable.

Back