Facebook Lets Advertisers Exclude Users by Race

Good, I used to get beer commercials in Spanish on YouTube. I do not watch beer content and I do not watch Spanish content. Nor do I partake in either of those activities.

People need to get over that anything acknowledging differences among humans or the cultures that follow said differences is "racist". Race is a fact of life and it isn't going away. I see this shit on Nat Geo about "Well there is no difference in the DNA between a white person and a black person". Who cares? That's not the differences we are talking about.

Good, I used to get beer commercials in Spanish on YouTube. I do not watch beer content and I do not watch Spanish content. Nor do I partake in either of those activities.

People need to get over that anything acknowledging differences among humans or the cultures that follow said differences is "racist". Race is a fact of life and it isn't going away. I see this shit on Nat Geo about "Well there is no difference in the DNA between a white person and a black person". Who cares? That's not the differences we are talking about.

Agreed.

That would be logical, but in a world where everyone wants to be the victim of some grand conspiracy I suppose social media will be outraged.

Targeting advertisements based on everything they can find out about you is exactly what Facebook is about. I do not comprehend the surprise.

This about housing and it is quite normal to target your ads. Normally it is done with a wink and a gratuity to the agent to only show the house to the right people. This is just another way to do it.

My brother in law is adopted and he is black. My mother in law does foster care and some of her kids are black. She has to ask other black people questions on what products to use. Specifically for hair care products. Nothing racist about it at all, but many black people's hair is WAY different than white people's hair. Completely different hair care products could be used.

What am I going to do with 10 subscriptions to Jet magazine?

People are different. Going by race is one different demographic. It's not racist. It's an identifying feature. Black, white, afro, mullet...

I think it's completely fine. If I'm black, I'm good with things used more by black people. If that's who buys the product, then target those people. If I'm white, target those products most likely to be bought by white people.... Mac & Cheese, white hoods....

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is okay to sell beer to everyone but you and those that are of your race. Right?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is okay to sell beer to everyone but you and those that are of your race. Right?

No. Facebook already targets to your interests. If there are no mentions of beer or anything like that, you won't see beer ads most likely. Nor if you're 17-20 years old. If you're a girl, you'll see more ads targeted towards women. Race is just another thing they are targeting for. As long as it's not selling fried chicken, watermelon and Old E, then it should be fine. Once an ad gets through that comes off like that, then I'm sure there will be some fits. And justified. It's a dangerous line, I think.

No. Facebook already targets to your interests. If there are no mentions of beer or anything like that, you won't see beer ads most likely. Nor if you're 17-20 years old. If you're a girl, you'll see more ads targeted towards women. Race is just another thing they are targeting for. As long as it's not selling fried chicken, watermelon and Old E, then it should be fine. Once an ad gets through that comes off like that, then I'm sure there will be some fits. And justified. It's a dangerous line, I think.
Say no more, no beer for you because of your race. It sounds wrong to me, but it seems it sounds right to you, so no beer for you.

Last edited:
At least your housing add can also be racist against asians, and mexicans along with the obligatory black people.

This is not new. Years ago I bought a quilting book as a gift. I can't even remember who I bought it for or where I bought it. I still get quilting junk mail in my snail mail. I don't even remember if they had e-mail back then. The question that I have is how do they determine your race? Do they look at your profile picture? Do they go by your last name? If you have more than a certain number of friends of a certain race or ethnicity do you get put in a certain group? PS I had to Google Old E.:)

This is only a problem with uneducated biased racists tards which apparently we are in abundance of.

If I am Tyler Perry and I want to advertise Boo! A Mades Halloween on facebook, I might opt to include African American specific data in my research so I maximize the potential of any advertising I do. Sounds reasonable. Is he racist? Is Facebook racist? If you really think that's the case. I can promise that you are doomed doomed .... doomed.

We are a nation of carebares, of transgenders, of skinny jeans and man-buns. Everyone is so nosy now, so emotional and depressed. Those are the people that are going to think this is an issue when it never was.
https://www.cinemark.com/tyler-perrys-boo?showDate=10/28/2016

I can't tell if you're being serious or being sarcastic. The words sound serious, but the logic sound sarcastic.

Say no more, no beer for you because of your race. It sounds wrong to me, but it seems it sounds right to you, so no beer for you.

I talk about and post about beer fairly often. It'd be a targeted ad for me.

It's not a race thing. Race is another part of it. Age, gender, drinker, smoker, various interests, past shared posts, past likes... You can narrow your audience down to whatever you want, including race. If someone wanted to market a beer to black folks, age 22-24, college educated, and that have liked rap music posts, they can. It wouldn't be very effective being that narrow, though.

I watch cartoons, and I don't see any condom commercials. I watch late night TV and there is Trojan Man. Same thing. Advertise to your audience. Even if it is targeted at race. Doesn't make it racist.

Even if your race is Purple, and your gender is 1988 Peugot, there is someone that wants to advertise to you. If they don't want to advertise to you, you prolly do not want what they are selling anyway.

To be housing specific, like the link in the OP, I think this skirts legality. The law says you can not discriminate, that you can not even steer them away once contact with them has been made. However, I do not believe there is any law that says you have to advertise to them.

As I said earlier in the thread, if you only want people of a certain type to rent from you, you only offer it to those people. It most certainly is racist and not in the spirit of the law, though it may not be illegal by the letters.

Last edited:
Can you choose all of the races and thereby be served no ads? No THAT would be a feature!

I don't care what race or gender you are. Buy my shit! :)

But, if white people buy something 1% of the time (Billy Dee Williams hair creme, for example) and black people buy it 50% of the time, I'd be wasting my advertising dollars if it's per impression by advertising to white people. It wouldn't make much sense.

As long as you aren't excluding them from buying something or are trying to exclude them for personal reasons (black people have no business buying a new car....), it should be fine.

Facebook also must manually approve your target audience and your ad criteria before you're allowed to publish any ads, which can take up to 24 hours. They can stop racial profiling for housing easily enough if this were an issue.

It leads to better customer targeting. I mean if I created an ad for Diwali Day festivities, I'm sure I would only want to target Indian groups. After all facebook charges you by the number of ads they push. An ad pushed to the wrong ethnic group is likely a waste. But this is controversial beyond words. I'm hoping facebook has some safety checks put into place to prevent this from happening.

Sounds fine to me. I don't need to see adverts for afro popping hairspray.

Last edited:
If I get targeted ads that match the things I look on, click on, like, show an interest in, etc., that's a good thing. If I get targeted ads about things that I've never cared about and will never care about just because people who look like me are supposed to like those products and I don't get any ads for the things I constantly look on, click on, like, show an interest in just because people who look like me are not supposed to buy those products, I'd get pretty annoyed pretty fast. If there is an promo where they sell GTX 1080s for half price for 24 hrs only, but they hide the ads from people who are not fat because we're not supposed to be interested in PCs, I'd be livid. It's even worse because I can change the the things I click on, in order to get the ads I prefer; but I cannot change what people who look like me are doing in order to get more useful ads. This is probably worse for black people and real-estate ads, since they might get targeted for lower-income housing and are being actively excluded from the type of house that their online activity indicates that they would want to buy.

So it's the marketers that are racist. That makes since...

Actually, I blame cultural differences on that one.

Remember the washing liquid/power advertisement a while back? An Italian ad had a filthy white male thrown into the washing machine by his white wife, and out comes a black well built handsome black guy. Any outrage over that ad? Not much.

A Chinese ad that does the exact opposite for a similar but an opposite product somehow got western SJW getting their pitchforks and start flaming an ad that has ABSOLUTELY NO PRESENCE in their country.

Basically, I don't think it's nearly as much as they don't to sell to different races, but different cultures might find different ads acceptable or not.

Ads targetted at specific races are as racist as ads targetting children/retirees are ageist and ads targetting women/men are sexist.

If someone is so stupid that they actually insert their ethnicity to facebook along with other personal information, THAT is the root problem here.

Who cares? It's marketing. Who is making a big deal of this? The joke that is the CFPB? Fair housing has to do with lending practices and property sales, and which the CFPB has basically fucked financial institutions. Mortgage lending is now inherently discriminatory due to the brilliant idea of QM. This has nothing to do with targeted marketing... which every organization with any wit is doing.

Other than the housing law mentioned, I don't see a problem in this. Some products, some services, etc are affiliated with race/ethnicity.

But it is illegal to do that. At least it would be here in Canada, I expect it is in the USA too.

Are you sure it would be illegal? They are choosing to not advertise to certain demographics. That is not the same as refusing to rent/lease/sell. It's not even the same as steering. I admit it is very much not in the spirit of housing laws, but is choosing not to advertise to certain demographics actually against the law?

Back