Facebook Fighting Engagement Bait Posts

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Facebook announced that they are going to start fighting engagement bait spam and demote this junk before it gets in your News Feed. Many companies are putting posts out there that ask you to LIKE this post if you are X or want you to share it with a friend for X reason. To stop this kind of stuff from proliferating anymore, they have put many of them into a machine learning model and will now let it detect them so they can be demoted. This should help clean up the News Feed for many of you still on the Facebook train.

Additionally, over the coming weeks, we will begin implementing stricter demotions for Pages that systematically and repeatedly use engagement bait to artificially gain reach in News Feed. We will roll out this Page-level demotion over the course of several weeks to give publishers time to adapt and avoid inadvertently using engagement bait in their posts. Moving forward, we will continue to find ways to improve and scale our efforts to reduce engagement bait.[/QUOTE]

the "like this post" has been around since the invention of the 'like'
How about fakebook giving us a DisLike button, that will show what a cesspool their platform and humanity are truly swimming in.

This is just awful, I hope this isn't going to affect those poor kids depending on Likes and Shares to get that life-saving surgery or to be brought out of poverty.

How about fakebook giving us a DisLike button, that will show what a cesspool their platform and humanity are truly swimming in.
Can't have a dislike button, them snowflakes will start hurting themselves if they get even one dislike.

Can they track my brother in law and sister in law then just ban whatever they repost? The fake sensational news is obnoxious ...
"he thought his country abandoned him after war until he came home and found that his wife lost 400 pounds and won the lottery!! "

"companies have found a clever way to promote themselves without paying advertising fees! We must stop this. Only we are allowed to jam up the feed with advertising!"

Said Facebook marketing

There's a local group of meteorologist that always say "hit like if you can see our post". Which is a disingenious way of promoting yourselves to the top of more feeds.

I might have been okay with that but they embed sponsors ad space directly into their post. So the sponsors are paying them and not Facebook. And the forecasters aren't paying Facebook a dime. I think that is unethical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would stop allowing people to tag random people in the comments. By far the most annoying thing when I am actually interested in a post and want to comment, is to see hundreds of posts with nothing but people tagging other people. I'm borderline ready to shutoff my profile as it is, if it weren't for the older members of my family using it I would have a long time ago. This would go a long way to make it more tolerable, for those ready to jump ship.

in a way, its a good idea, some uses like and share to profit from fame and or spam. Its like the chain emails (for stealing names and emails information), get rid of them.

I dont see a dislike button here either.

only the like button

Maybe do some common sense things like allow users to report the problems. For instance requiring a share for entry into a sweepstakes is prohibited by the FB terms of service. However there is absolutely 0 easy ways to report that to FB...

You haven't been on Facebook for a while have you?

upload_2017-12-18_17-22-35.png

Just hover your pointer over the like button, and you get some options.

Back