Facebook buys Oculus VR

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

This can't be a good thing. Wtf is facebook these days? Wannabe google much?

I am so extremely glad I decided to build an AR instead of buy a DK2. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Look at it this way ... now you can play virtual reality Farmvile :eek: (insert evil laugh here Muahahaha :D)

mfvw%20acidcow.bmp

This sucks. I find it hard to believe that the PC centered focus of Oculus will last long after the initial buyout headlines subside.

Unbelievable. Un-fugging-believable. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same in similar shoes, but that's entirely beside the point -- what a two-faced, little sellout.

Help us, Obi-Valve Sonyobi. You're our only hope.

There is no way in hell this will end well ....................

Let's hope another company comes out with something to replace this steaming big pile of shit that was just dropped on our door step.

So basically this is Facebook's property now and lets face it we're never going to get the gaming product we originally hoped for. Wow just fucking wow.

I think all the comments say it all, a lot of pissed off people. i hope everyone or most cancel their orders.

Has anything, good or bad, ever even come out of a Facebook acquisition? I feel like they buy something and it gets sucked into a black hole.

I think all the comments say it all, a lot of pissed off people. i hope everyone or most cancel their orders.

Yeah, but...

All PC gamers everywhere, pissed off about the news: $2.5 million in preorders on Kickstarter

Facebook's apparent valuation for the company, re-purposing it for mobile/social interface: $2 BILLION.

...soooo...I think we all know what that means.

*Shudder* at the thought of installing a windows device driver signed by Facebook Inc. On one hand, I wish Valve had bought it. On the other hand, at least it wasn't Microsoft, since they would have undoubtedly turned it into some xbone accessory that doesn't have PC drivers -- especially now that Sony's going to have a VR feather in PS4's cap.

If there is a silver lining, perhaps it is that they've got more power and capital now for securing supply chain and components. Based on everything I've read as I've followed Rift since its early days on kickstarter, they've been stuck at an impasse with display panel pricing not being there yet for the pixel density they were after. When Samsung for example is asking more for a 2K or 3K panel than the target price OculusVR had envisioned for the entire unit, all they could do was wait. Maybe this acquisition will improve that problem.

Still, it used to be that PC gaming was the agenda and focus for this thing. Now the agenda is who knows what - head mounted video facebook messenger + ads?

Last edited:
He must not of had faith in his product if he decided to sell out like this.

Ugg, why facebook of all people...

Last edited:
WOW, what a big FU to all their Kickstarter supporters. I wasn't even planning to buy it, yet I feel gutted.

WOW, what a big FU to all their Kickstarter supporters. I wasn't even planning to buy it, yet I feel gutted.

The tragedy here is when you factor it was a hardcore gaming audience that funded a gaming peripheral - and made this value acquisition even possible. Only for it to be turned around and sold to a company that will most likely not cater to that audience. Gotta love kickstarter. You also wonder how much drive the OculusVR principals are really going to have with this product going forward. Before, they were developing it as though their lives and careers depended on it. Now, they could just retire any time.

How? People that bought a Rift through Kickstarter got one ages ago. To be blunt: Anyone that thought the few million they got from Kickstarter would last them any amount of time was an idiot. Someone was eventually going to buy them, they need a ton of funding for this.

....nonononononononono.

No.

So bloody disappointed. After seeing the privacy-obliterating and wallet-raping monetization of Facebook, something so promising cannot be blighted by this horrid organization. I don't care what "ha ha, they shouldn't have trusted me. Idiots' Zuckerberg prattles on about VR, it is absolutely imperative that Oculus, the Rift itself etc... and the next stage of VR be built on completely open technologies. No proprietary nastiness. No being "repurposed" to fill the pockets of "social" media, held back from what it could truly accomplish. This is too important to allow Facebook's bean counters to wreck.

How? People that bought a Rift through Kickstarter got one ages ago. To be blunt: Anyone that thought the few million they got from Kickstarter would last them any amount of time was an idiot. Someone was eventually going to buy them, they need a ton of funding for this.

How? Take a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/comments

As Notch said: "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

The tragedy here is when you factor it was a hardcore gaming audience that funded a gaming peripheral - and made this value acquisition even possible. Only for it to be turned around and sold to a company that will most likely not cater to that audience. Gotta love kickstarter.

Exactly!

How? Take a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/comments

As Notch said: "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

Exactly!

And would it have been any better if some venture capital firm picked them up? With the funding Oculus seems to have been looking for there was little chance of them not being picked up by someone. $2 billion is a crazy amount of money for the company and speaks volumes about the potential Facebook, Zuckerberg specifically most likely, sees in the tech. Oculus has ambitious beyond gaming here and they need a crap load of money to push their tech further. This doesn't really bother me that much, but I never thought of the Rift solely as a gaming device. I've always looked at the tech behind it in much broader terms beyond simple gaming applications.

God forgive me for saying this, but rather Sony than Facebook.

Sony isn't interested in PCs, but there are other companies that are entering the VR market.

And would it have been any better if some venture capital firm picked them up? With the funding Oculus seems to have been looking for there was little chance of them not being picked up by someone. $2 billion is a crazy amount of money for the company and speaks volumes about the potential Facebook, Zuckerberg specifically most likely, sees in the tech.

They bought a chat app for $19 billion!

Carmack posted this on Twitter "I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale."

Can anyone translate PR speak?

Didn't Zuckerberg code Facebook all by hand (first iteration at least)? He's obviously a bit of a nerd. I don't think all hope is lost. Perhaps more cash will allow for more. I'm sure all the dev's on it will stay too.

They bought a chat app for $19 billion!

Yep. Zuckerberg doesn't care about big short term profit, his focus is on long term. I have a feeling the Zuckerberg knows that Facebook, as it stands now, isn't going to last forever so they're investing in the future. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see FB make some other weird purchases for crazy amounts of money.

Engadget:
Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it. Specifically, he talked about the potential of a virtual communication network, buying virtual goods, and down the line, advertising.

I foresee the continuation of great dedication to high end gamers.

NYTIMES:

"About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said."

Oh, yeah, and I'll surely trust the answers of a guy whose company was just acquired and who's first comment about it contains this PR BS:

"Facebook is run in an open way that’s aligned with Oculus’ culture. Over the last decade, Mark and Facebook have been champions of open software and hardware, pushing the envelope of innovation for the entire tech industry. As Facebook has grown, they’ve continued to invest in efforts like with the Open Compute Project, their initiative that aims to drive innovation and reduce the cost of computing infrastructure across the industry. This is a team that’s used to making bold bets on the future."

Last edited:
NYTIMES:

"About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said."

That actually fits in with what Palmer was saying about them having their own optional app store and first party apps. I'd be willing to bet that the development software for DK2 will include support for developers to add things like Facebook integration, if not DK2 then whatever development software they release after. I could easily seem them having some kind of ads on their app store and have that store link directly with Facebook.

Back