Facebook and Other Corporations Spend Millions on Executive Security

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 16, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Wired just ran a story claiming that the Silicon Valley giants spend huge amounts of money to protect their CEOs and other executives. Apple, for example, reportedly dropped $310,000 protecting Tim Cook, while Amazon and Oracle spent $1.6 Million protecting Jeff Bezos and Larry Ellison. But Facebook's expenditures seem to dwarf everyone else. The social media company reportedly spent $7.3 Million protecting Mark Zuckerberg in 2017, while the company told investors it anticipated spending "$10 million annually" last summer. And that was before Facebook's bad news train really picked up steam. I can only imagine how much they're paying to protect Zuckerberg now.

"I'd put that $10 million among the top five highest in the country. And from what I've read in the media about Facebook, that seems to be an appropriate level of expense," says Heintze... We don't believe in our clients using regular phones," says Moyer. "We set up anonymous phones; mine are in Faraday bags." His firm also recommends using VPNs to obscure a device's location and using search engines that don't track users.

2. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

So okay for Facebook and everyone else to follow our every move and data mine the shit out of us, but Zuck wants privacy. Yeah, sounds right. :rolleyes:

3. Submarinesailor

Submarinesailor n00b

The article is talking about personal safety, not data privacy. sheesh.

scojer likes this.
  4. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Well, Zuck does have a face you just want to punch.

Burticus likes this.
  5. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

considering who these people are.. doesnt really seem all that much

6. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

What?

'Kent Moyer runs the World Protection Group and 001, a pair of security firms in Beverly Hills, California, that count billionaires and executives among their clients. His protection arsenal includes bodyguards, security systems, drones for patrolling clients’ homes, armored motorcades, and extensive electronic privacy measures. Moyer advises clients and their families not to use their real names on social media, to purchase homes and other large assets in the name of LLCs (a common practice in Silicon Valley), texting only via encrypted apps, registering social media accounts to throwaway email addresses and phone numbers, and using credit cards registered to assumed names."

“We don’t believe in our clients using regular phones,” says Moyer. “We set up anonymous phones; mine are in Faraday bags.” His firm also recommends using VPNs to obscure a device’s location and using search engines that don’t track users.

The guy has a point.

7. causticspill

causticspill Limp Gawd

I've always been curious as to what kind of private security/military a multi-billion dollar bank account can put together... This Wired article didn't help much. Guess I'll just have to wait until Amazon gets closer to Umbrella to find out. :p

8. ericsmith881

ericsmith881 n00b

I'll bet a good steak dinner that each of these highly-paid, highly-protected executives are vehement opponents of the border wall and controlling illegal immigration.

"Protection for me but not for thee!"

9. RobCalleg

RobCalleg [H]Lite

They all have 30 foot walls around their houses with a security guard at gate. Hmmm I wonder what their opinions are on the The Wall.

DejaWiz, dvsman, GoldenTiger and 2 others like this.
  10. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

$10 mil a year for Zuck's security team? I'll do it for half of that. Please pay in advance, no refunds in event of murder.

11. amdmadman

amdmadman Gawd

Typical Liberal bullshit. A private person can not get a conceal carry permit in the state these retards live in. But since they have billlions they can have armed guards and live behind the walls the oppose. Liberals are so retarded.

12. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

Not that dumb when they can make billions off user data. Afford $10m for a security team to patrol their 52 bedroom mansion on a private island, whilst they wine and dine the people who are supposed to represent you on their $40m yachts.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    GoldenTiger and Aioeyu like this.
  13. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Those things are connected.

ericsmith881 and Aioeyu like this.
  14. FortTaylor

FortTaylor n00b

As long as his security team only carries baton's and stun guns or pepper spray I don't care, but you know this hypocrite has well-armed security.

Aioeyu likes this.
  15. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

its sad to imagine how many death threats JB gets every time hes mentioned a tweet. Its depressing to see how wrapped up in this shit full grown adults get.

16. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I was about to type "no shit", when I saw the amount.

Okay, so that level of security probably involves champagne and making it rain periodically. Well, quite often.

You can hire ex-special forces folks, a full platoon - at a fraction of that. And I assure you... you'd be safe. Not drunk and getting lapdances, but safe.

17. OpenSource

OpenSource Gawd

Why this hypocrisy doesn't infuriate more people I'll never understand?

Dude has 16 bodyguards around his walled garden, yet his stance is that it's irrelevant for a country to take it's security just as seriously.

DejaWiz and GoldenTiger like this.
  18. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

"For thee but not for me" is the hypocritical motto these types live by.

19. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

I mean that just makes sense. Zuckerberg probably doesn’t want some company like Facebook spying on everything he does.

20. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

They are going to need that security when the Revolution comes...

21. Mike89

Mike89 Gawd

Facebook better protect Zuckberg. I'd punch his lights out and steal his wallet if I could get close enough just because he looks like such a twerk.

22. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRNepBkqYcXR1rPuyBM2jGrKI8Kue9-d9_sF8aw_eZ3lECsHW0w.jpg

It doesn't matter who you are, all you need is the right movie script.....

Shadowed likes this.
  23. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

Millions on security of execs, tens of dollars on security of customer data. Sounds about right for priorities.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  24. Submarinesailor

Submarinesailor n00b

Let me explain it to you and the other professional commenters.
    The whole point of the article is about clients not getting fucked up by some douchbag trying to kill/kidnap them. It's not about "data privacy". The World Protection Group doesn't give a shit about someone hacking their clients' facebook account or what websites they browse. They care about the client not being PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED.
    Don't skim the article then cherry pick a couple of sentences out of it and scream "the facebook bitches care about their data privacy but not about ours!"
    Better yet, read the whole article.