F16 + 9Gs + iPhone = Fail

...And if you think that photo is scary, you should see what the iPhone did to the F-16!

Most F16s can charge the iPhone but not the iPad, which needs a higher-wattage power source. The iF16, set to debut in 2013, will fully support iPad charging.

I actually laughed out loud at that one. Nice work.

i call BS on this. Want to simulate 9 Gs? put your iphone in a knapsack, and swing it around over your head as fast as you can. That will exceed 9gs. Try dropping it. That will exceed 9gs. 9gs is about the max a human pilot can withstand in a g-suit for short periods of time. I think the iPhone would survive (well, mine has survived the second) that kind of Gs.

who knows tho, truth is stranger than fiction :)
I agree 100%. Something seems odd. Maybe the pilot had it in one of his leg pockets where the g-suit inflates? The accompanying pressure along with the g-force warped the LCD slightly...leading to this?

I could be completely wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.

Well no, it just stands to reason the 3Gs cannot withstand 9Gs. But if you stack 4 iPhone 3Gs together with a rubber band, I bet it'll work.
So does this mean an iPad can handle it?

ZING!
:p

Definitely.

I mean, obviously the iPhone was the entire purpose of this flight and the only result of the entire exercise was the pictures of this guy's personal phone. :rolleyes:

I bet they even erased the pilot's memories of the maneuvers to ensure he didn't gain any experience from their iPhone test.

Reading comprehension for the win!

Very cool! LOL!

I was also reading the comments, and some douchebag had to pick on Gizmodo for posting the picture on their site, when Gizmodo has the source included...

Jesse Stein says:

Gizmodo is illegally using your photo.

gizmodo.com/5527234/the-iphone-cant-quite-han dle-9gs

I'd ask them to pay you, or take it down.

Yeah, of course you'd also need a jet capable of going 9Gs and access to areas where its legal to go that fast, because that isn't terribly legal over populated areas.

getting a airframe capable of 9Gs would be the hard part...its not illegal to pull that many, just most planes cant, and most people would pass out first

Yeah, of course you'd also need a jet capable of going 9Gs and access to areas where its legal to go that fast, because that isn't terribly legal over populated areas.

Wow, Just wow.... You do know that G-force (or Gravity Force) is not a measure of speed right? It is a term we use to quantify the force being expressed against an object during angular acceleration. In that respect, It has little to do with speed.;) Thus, the correct term would be that you would need a jet capable of withstanding 9Gs. I could subject an iPhone to 9Gs in my living room if I cared.

Wow, Just wow.... You do know that G-force (or Gravity Force) is not a measure of speed right? It is a term we use to quantify the force being expressed against an object during angular acceleration. In that respect, It has little to do with speed.;) Thus, the correct term would be that you would need a jet capable of withstanding 9Gs. I could subject an iPhone to 9Gs in my living room if I cared.

did i not just say this lol

anyway...the only way i can see 9Gs messing up that LCD display is if he weighed 200lbs and was sitting on it...therefore under 9Gs he would weigh 1800 lbs

As I understand it military jets are limited to specific speeds over populated areas (assuming we're just talking about general flying and not when they actually need to get somewhere for an emergency) and unless they're pulling off specific maneuvers to get that 9Gs doing it a straight flight would likely exceed that speed.

unless they're pulling off specific maneuvers to get that 9Gs doing it a straight flight would likely exceed that speed.

Although the military jets have tons of thrust, I do not think one is going to hit 9Gs in a straight line - unless it runs into something. You'd HAVE to be making a steep bank.

Although the military jets have tons of thrust, I do not think one is going to hit 9Gs in a straight line - unless it runs into something. You'd HAVE to be making a steep bank.

Ah, well bummer. Though a steep bank would look more visually pleasing to a camera. How did a simple joke come to this point anyway?

As I understand it military jets are limited to specific speeds over populated areas (assuming we're just talking about general flying and not when they actually need to get somewhere for an emergency) and unless they're pulling off specific maneuvers to get that 9Gs doing it a straight flight would likely exceed that speed.

The faster the plane is going the slower it is going to be able to accelerate. The slower it can accelerate, the less G-forces exerted.

Think about your car. Put your foot down when you're doing 20 mph and you'll be shoved back a hell of a lot harder than if you do the same thing at 80 mph. The engine is producing more or less the same amount of power, but things like wind resistance increase exponentially with speed. To maintain a constant 1g of acceleration, you're engine would need to put out exponentially more power - which would be freaking awesome, of course, its just that engines don't work that way ;)

wow. just not going to comment on the jet physics lessons...

As to the screen, it IS a Liquid CRYSTAL screen (and LEDs have no impact as to whether or not the screen is going to have an issue; that just provides the lighting, not the actual images), and last I checked, crystals, even small ones, have mass, and thus will be affected by g-force. Since most high G maneuvers tend to be along the vertical axis of the plane in question, the phone would've needed to be stored with the screen perpendicular to that axis, to cause the crystals to slide sideways. if it were flat (say, sitting on a thigh like it might be in a pants pocket when sitting), it wouldn't be affected this way. Still might have an issue, but not like the image shown.

wow. just not going to comment on the jet physics lessons...

As to the screen, it IS a Liquid CRYSTAL screen (and LEDs have no impact as to whether or not the screen is going to have an issue; that just provides the lighting, not the actual images), and last I checked, crystals, even small ones, have mass, and thus will be affected by g-force. Since most high G maneuvers tend to be along the vertical axis of the plane in question, the phone would've needed to be stored with the screen ALIGNED (ie, parallel) to that axis, to cause the crystals to slide sideways. if it were flat (say, sitting on a thigh like it might be in a pants pocket when sitting), it wouldn't be affected this way. Still might have an issue, but not like the image shown.

ftfm. so much for proofreading... :/

I've rode in an F-15 and pulled 8.6 G's.

Mine did just fine and still works until this day.

I have pics to prove the ride BTW, but will not be posting them in this thread.

Ok just to clear the floor on this issue.

Yes military jets do Sometimes have to adhere to civilian speed restrictions. Thats mostly irrelevant here.
Speed (linear velocity) has nothing to do with how many Gs you can or are pulling in this case (angular velocity). It is easier to pull more Gs at higher speed. I have personally exceeded 6Gs at a sub 300 knot speed.

You will not reach 9Gs in a straight line in anything except the space shuttle and possibly come close in some carrier TO/Landings

If you are going 1200 knots, a slight bank will produce 9 Gs, if you are going 300 knots, a much steeper rate of turn will be needed to achieve 9Gs.

So is it bad that my iphone screen looks like this? I'm not a pilot, just a ground pounder

Actually, Army Network Tech, but I havnt really done my job since AIT almost 4 years ago, always goes to the civilians, I get stuck ground pounding

Back