F1 2011 available Sep 19th

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
Just noticed that Steam is listing F1 2011 as available next week. Has anyone heard any reviews or news on this?

all i know is that its gonna effin own. preordered. hopefully some of the 'noob's here on hardforum will actually race us online this year.

I will say that I own 2010, am a huge F1 fan in general (I even play SPEED's F1 fantasy game), but I haven't even played 2010 yet. I don't own a steering wheel setup, and I was contemplating buying a 360 controller just to play it. Good wheels aren't cheap and cheap wheels aren't any sort of good. What does everyone else use?

2010 was a big let down , so many bugs and it really never felt right using a wheel. I could never get it calibrate correctly so I gave up on the game entirely. I really hope they get there shit together this year and don't slack on the proper configurations and dead zone requirements of all the wheels out there , having a wheel not respond correctly in an F1 game is a deal breaker.

all i know is that its gonna effin own. preordered. hopefully some of the 'noob's here on hardforum will actually race us online this year.

Maybe that's because you keep posting videos of you dominating - I'd be scared to take you on. ;)

I will say that I own 2010, am a huge F1 fan in general (I even play SPEED's F1 fantasy game), but I haven't even played 2010 yet. I don't own a steering wheel setup, and I was contemplating buying a 360 controller just to play it. Good wheels aren't cheap and cheap wheels aren't any sort of good. What does everyone else use?

I use the Logitech Momo and it works pretty well. Thinking of upgrading to the G27 though.

I'm hoping they did their homework on KERS and DRS to make it work right with the AI. For that matter - how do they know will DRS will activate in the upcoming tracks - I thought they waited until practice to set those zones up, or is that wrong info?

I use the Logitech Momo and it works pretty well. Thinking of upgrading to the G27 though.
?

My DFGT works better than my G27 with F1 2010, so I couldn't beat my DFGT times, however with the 3 sims I tried, the G27 was epic.

Good wheels aren't cheap and cheap wheels aren't any sort of good.

Nothing wrong with a Logitech DFGT for arcade/simcade games, in fact, if you select ABS and TC, the deficiency of the pedals is neutralized.

Hmm, there's a lot of things I didn't like about F1 2010 so I think I'll just hold off for a while and see how it goes.

if i could afford a steering wheel + pedals i'd be all over it but i can't, and i refuse to butcher a racing game by using a 360 controller.

Maybe that's because you keep posting videos of you dominating - I'd be scared to take you on. ;)

I'm hoping they did their homework on KERS and DRS to make it work right with the AI. For that matter - how do they know will DRS will activate in the upcoming tracks - I thought they waited until practice to set those zones up, or is that wrong info?

they have preset DRS zones before they go to the tracks based on track information. but they will adjust the trigger line and activation lines if it gives an unfair advantage to the person that can use DRS.usually its not a huge change though, maybe 50-100 ft further down the straight. so it shouldn't make a huge effect in the game. plus they have run enough tracks this year the game developers probably have a pretty good idea of where to put the DRS zones. but either way i'm sure if they have it, it will also be setup so the developers can put out an update to change them later.

- Full 24 car grid
- Kers & DRS
- New Renault Lotus livery
- New McLaren 2011 U-shaped sidepods

This is relevant to my interests.

my copy is ordered, i'm really excited for it :)

last year's release wasn't perfect, but it definitely gave me the fix i was looking for. this year's should be even better :D

EDIT: this is a bit concerning..

Last edited:
my copy is ordered, i'm really excited for it :)

last year's release wasn't perfect, but it definitely gave me the fix i was looking for. this year's should be even better :D

EDIT: this is a bit concerning..

I dont find that concerning. Im glad its not noobie friendly, means its more up my alley as far as sim racing goes. Cant wait!

I dont find that concerning. Im glad its not noobie friendly, means its more up my alley as far as sim racing goes. Cant wait!

Oh I agree, but I'm just concerned since I wouldn't think a game would be knocked just because of its difficulty level - i.e. just because it's a sim, they wouldn't knock it down 20%. Or maybe they would, I have no idea of the history of that magazine. Just worried there are more issues than just difficulty.

I'm buying it regardless to get my F1 fix, but I have high hopes!

My friend played it with his G25 and never complained. My fanatec turbo S felt fine with the game.

How good was this series for wheel support? G27?? was it responsive at all?

It was good, but not great, as the G27 seems to have a slight centre deadzone courtesy of the gear drive system, and F1 2010 seemed to be hurt by this, as such, I felt my DFGT was a better option, but I had to use ABS+TC thanks to shitty pedals.

If you're a casual gamer like many here, you'll probably still like the way it works with G27.

The compatibility with the G25 was ok, but the force feedback felt pretty average to me in F1 2010. Many games I can feel the grip level through the wheel, F1 2010 it wasn't really there. Still better than a lot of games out there though.

Ok guys.. just got my G27 and I'm a total newb.. what should I do to improve my cornering? Seems like I break.. and turn but it just doesn't do it!!! haha. Rfactor is pretty good, I've tried Shift 2, Rfactor, F1 2010 and the such, just need more use out of this I guess..

Ok guys.. just got my G27 and I'm a total newb.. what should I do to improve my cornering? Seems like I break.. and turn but it just doesn't do it!!! haha. Rfactor is pretty good, I've tried Shift 2, Rfactor, F1 2010 and the such, just need more use out of this I guess..

I've found you really need to set up the line by braking early and turning in earlier than you'd normally think - if you get too deep it's very hard to get the car to track through the turn without slowing way, way down. Starting the turn-in early really made the difference for me. And of course, don't have the brakes locked up when you are trying to turn.

I like seeing the progression and polish of all the codemasters games on the ego engine what was it, grid, dirt, dirt2, f1 2010, dirt3, f1 2011. Just adding a few new features to the engine with every iteration.
i guess the same could be said with any developer made engine but whatever.

f1 2010 was a step back with lack of dx11 at launch, but dirt3 was a huge step forward with wheel support and force feedback. I really hope you can feel the grip in the tires on the wheel with 2011 like you can in dirt3 and gran turismo 5. f1 2010 and other racing games just seem to pull to center for force feedback. My wheel? Logitech DFGT.

If you like racing games even just a little, get one its just 100ish bucks. sound like a lot of money? if you like racing games even just a little....get one! there's no going back :)

see you guys in Singapore

Just unlocked it - haven't had a chance to play yet, but it looks like the graphics got a bump. Running DX11 and Ultra preset and it looks really good, especially the cars. Performance looks good also - 70+ FPS in the benchmark.

Just got done playing for about 2 hours, so far I'm loving it. Have a ton of exploring yet to do though. Had a great online race at Canada, passing a force india with DRS was fun.

I've found a few strange things, and one very bad thing.

There doesn't seem to be a way to notify the pit crew that you are going to pit, unlike in 2010.
It appears that, during qualifying at least, you can have the DRS open whenever you want it - is that the way it really is? Edit: Just ran a wet race and DRS was off the whole time, so that's good.
I qualified at Melbourne, and Heidfeld and Petrov were 2 of the top 4 cars. Don't think that has ever happened in real life. The second time it was Sutil and Buemi in the top 4.
When going from Qualifying to Race, it doesn't give you the option of using the quick setup from the Engineer. Makes it hard to go from dry qualifying to wet races.

And when I advanced to the Race and then exited to the Paddock, it automatically disqualified me from the race and moved me on to the next event on the calendar. In 2010 you could exit and it would bring you back to the first uncompleted session (so if you finished Q you could exit at race time and come back to race later). I hope that's a bug and not a design choice - because not being able to quit and come back to an event at a later time is a huge issue. Edit: Okay, I guess that was because I choose Retire to Paddock, instead of Exit to Main Menu. Lesson learned.

And just like Dirt 3, it doesn't save my choice of control - so every time I start the game I have to go to the menu and reselect Custom controls - it defaults to Keyboard every time.

Last edited:
I heard there was a bug in 2010 where the cpu drivers always exited the pits before you and then they got ahead of you. Also, something about unrealistic cpu driver times. So, hopefully these and other bugs get fixed this time around. I passed on 2010 version due to these bugs.

You can run DRS whenever you like up until the race. Thats true to the reak deal.

Also you watch the weather an setup your car to race day spec as you go into perc ferme an are unable to change your setup. This is also true to the real deal.

As far as the renault top in melbourne they were decent not that good but im sure they want to make the game more so fair across all teams.

You can still change the setup through the advanced menu, just doesn't give you the option to use quick setup to get started.

Force feedback seems better too - you can really feel when the car starts to break loose (which happens a lot in the rain). AI seems better in the rain now also - they sucked in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxrEIGfs1sY

Here's a video i made last night showing the new New Delhi Track in India. Don't judge the driving too harshly, it was my very first time playing the game actualy :)

The game's handling is completly different, and better i think. can't wait to set my wheel up and check out the new force feedback, It sounds like its similar to dirt3 (wonderful!)

just messed around some in career mode starting out with the lotus.

started with Prime tires and was like WTF is this crap...handled like a boat.

put some Option tires on and was much better!

DRS is fun, the timing for deployment is definitely tricky. the car has to be almost straight and barely any wheel input otherwise its insta death into the wall. :p

i can post some eyefinity screenshots if anyone is interested.

it runs very well at 6048x1080(BC) with a 1gb 6870 at all HIGH settings. im very impressed with how optimized the graphics engine is.

it runs very well at 6048x1080(BC) with a 1gb 6870 at all HIGH settings. im very impressed with how optimized the graphics engine is.

ah ha, my aging but never say die 4850 will eat this then, as it did 10.

for some reason i cant get the steering dialed in. its like it has a lag. also, depending on the cars speed the amount of wheel rotation needed to make the car turn changes?

quick changes of the wheel are impossible. if i turn 90 degrees quickly it takes the game a second to "catch up"...wtf.

gonna make a video here in a minute.

edit:

wtf...just restarted the game and went into time trial(had been doing career) and the steering is COMPLETELY different...it actually reacts to my inputs.

ugh, hope this isnt and ongoing issue with this game. i want my wheel settings to stay the same when i exit/restart the game!

Last edited:
It seems like it will be good once the crossfire profile comes out. Right now I'm stuck running one card across three screens, kinda meh.

Takes a long while to get the pedals and wheel dialed in, too long I think. I have a load cell brake pedal, I shouldn't have to adjust the 'saturation'. I've never liked Codemasters setup.

wtf...just restarted the game and went into time trial(had been doing career) and the steering is COMPLETELY different...it actually reacts to my inputs.

ugh, hope this isnt and ongoing issue with this game. i want my wheel settings to stay the same when i exit/restart the game!

Is it keeping your choice of control when you exit? I have mine setup as Custom and it keeps the settings correctly (saturation, mappings, etc), but everytime I load the game the control input is set to Keyboard and I have to change it back to custom. Frustrating. Also can't quite get the wheel set up right (and of course I already uninstalled 2010 so I can't see what I had set there).

I kept spinning out and I was like, what the heck, and then I realized that DRS is a click to activate, click to close (I was holding the button down) - so yeah, very little downforce with that thing open.

should i get this game even if I dont have a steering wheel? I have an xb360 controller.

i just need some convincing.

Back