F.E.A.R. 2 Gameplay Performance and IQ @ [H]]

Well, this was to be expected. The game ran on a modified older game engine, so most card today should be able to run it just fine. My 8800gts was able to get it to do 1920x1200 with max settings :D. I was extremely happy.

For some reason the original game runs like crap on my computer (see sig), so I'll try the beta first...

Nice write up!

It's cool to see that some of the latest games don't need an absolutely top-end system to run at decent settings. Seems like a couple of years ago, you'd need an upgrade every single time a new PC came out. Maybe it's just the effects of console-itis, though.

this is good news indeed. plenty of advance graphics you can achieve with the cards we have today plus graphics are not everything

I play it on one at 1920x1200. Haven't tried 16X CSAA, just 8X, but it flies. I haven't played for a couple of days, but maybe I'll bump this up tonight to see how it goes. I play with VSync, so if it drops below 60 I'm not happy. :) Haven't seen it drop below sync at 8X though.

Actually, I'm not positive it's working at 8X. I have the control panel set to enhance it, (in-game only allows 4x) but I'm not noticing much in the way of differences. I haven't had enough time to look into it further though.

Is there a place I can see the Nvidia control panel settings in use other than the ones covered in the charts? I have a 260.

I am not quite sure how to set some of these up. Such as:

Antialiasing Transparency - Assuming CSAA = Multisampling but not sure.
Force Mipmaps - None, Bi , Tri
Max Pre-enderred frames - ?
Textured filtering - perf, high perf, qual;ity, high quality.
Ttriple buffering - vert syc is off so assuming setting is off.

I have been meaning to figure out this stuff for my global settings for some time, but it would be easier to use the settings the [H} uses since I often rely on the [H}'s real world articles to use as a starting point for most of my games.

Thanks for the sweet real world review and sorry if this info has been covered and I missed it.

Thanks for doing other resolutions besides 49,856x32,867. I now have an actual idea of what my real world performance would be.

Agreed, I was really glad to see other resolution tested at playable settings. I am on a budget ($100-200 video card range) and play at 1680x1050 on my 22" LCD. Great article.

The only thing I would have liked to see is how Nvidia's last generation (say the 9800GTX+ or GTX250 lol) compares in FEAR2.

Im running it at 1920x1200 and it's great. Help me out here guys, didnt FEAR 1 have a "bullet time" capability where everything around you slowed down (ahla Max Pain)? FEAR 2 doesnt seem to have that capability....

Am I missing something?

Im running it at 1920x1200 and it's great. Help me out here guys, didnt FEAR 1 have a "bullet time" capability where everything around you slowed down (ahla Max Pain)? FEAR 2 doesnt seem to have that capability....

Am I missing something?
you cant be serious.

Doh! I couldnt find it in the key menu options.

Thanks.

lmfao!!!

That why you CONFIGURE the game PRIOR to starting.

That and remember, prior to the operation, No bullet time as you are just a regular Spec-Ops.

Prioir to the operation? Hmm, will it be obvious when bullet time comes into play?

I had downloaded the Demo of Fear2 and now just ordered it for 29.90 from that gaming site. I will see how it runs on my 4870 card... the graphics on the Demo looked pretty good... I am more interested in the MP part though... Is MP pretty decent on this game?

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

I had downloaded the Demo of Fear2 and now just ordered it for 29.90 from that gaming site. I will see how it runs on my 4870 card... the graphics on the Demo looked pretty good... I am more interested in the MP part though... Is MP pretty decent on this game?

Rob in Mesquite,Tx
MP is completely fucked in this game and its one of the biggest complaints about it.

Nice review,
You missed one thing.
The game is rubbish and so easy it can be completed within 5 hours on hard.
This version of FEAR 2 need to change its name to I'm not scary at all.:eek:

Complete and utter waste of money.

Nice looking graphics a good game do not make.

I just finished the game. Took me 7 hours. Wasn't nearly as scary or even as good as the previous titles, but it was still fun. My 512MB 4850 had zero problems running it at 1920x1200.

not really, a single 7800gtx 256 was perfectly capable of 4xaa at 12x10. you just needed two to get to 16x12. monolith's jupiter ex engine produced particle effects no one had seen before at the time. the underlying framework of fear2 is still jupiter ex albeit modified. hopefully fear 2 will be successful for monolith and they might be able to persuade sega to release condemned 2 on pc.

So if some game comes out today and a GTX285 plays it at 12*10 it's not a system killer? I had a 7800GTX when fear came out and though I didn't bust out my 17" screen to play it, I didn't dream of putting everything all on high. My x1900XT corssfire rig I got afterwards still didn't blow it out the box at 1920*1200. That was some of the best shit available at the time.

i remember i had to turn off some shadow settings and use 2xAA to play fear at 1280x1024 when i had a 7800gtx. the graphics were amazing at the time.
the graphics in fear 2 are kinda dated, so it plays well on everything.

i remember i had to turn off some shadow settings and use 2xAA to play fear at 1280x1024 when i had a 7800gtx. the graphics were amazing at the time.
the graphics in fear 2 are kinda dated, so it plays well on everything.

I believe it was the "soft shadows" option that nearly everyone except those with the highest end systems had to disable.

I just finished it and while it did have some tense moments the overall story/NPC interaction was lame IMO. The graphics were also - old and not overly crisp looking. I was able to run everything at absolute max on my i7920/GTX295. Didn't check the framerate but there were no slowdowns or hic-cups.

Someone else mentioned the animations for damage too - everytime I shot a guy regardless of where he got a blood splatter on his face.

I can't wait to play this game!

Yeah, it's good fun and I like the Alma character. :)

What stood out as jumpy for myself was the cinema bit. I've already inputted my say of the game and the review couple of pages back.

This game is definitely one of my favorites. Like the atmosphere of dark and gloomy.

Guess this is why Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead are my favorites also. :p

Back