eyefinity; worth the move to portrait?

wadec22

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
4,030
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. I run eyefinity with 3 dynex 26" lcd tv's. They are 720p and have a max pc rez of 1360*768. They do not run in portrait.

I love the setup. It is extremely immersive, which is my number one goal. I really enjoy it in Skyrim and BF3. I know people in this particular section of the forum would hate on these being 60HZ and high dot pitch, but it doesn't seem to bother me. The only thing that does bother me now and then is the ridiculous stretching in the peripherals.

I have done some recent reading though and a lot of folks prefer eyefinty/surround in portrait. It would be a serious pain in the ass to try and sell 3 26" lcd tv's.... Is this something I should try to do?

If portrait is that much better, I want in. However, the price difference and gpu power increase probably needed has me skeptical. Anyone try similar setups? Advice? Thanks!
 
What do you mean they do not run in portrait? Just take your three displays, lay them on their side next to each other and rotate them to portrait in catalyst control center and check it out.

But yes, portrait is far better than landscape IMO.
 
the option to switch to portrait is grayed out. i'm assuming since they are lcd tv's they are not capable.
 
I never would have guesses a tv could not run in portrait. PPP WIl not give as much immersion as LLL eyefinity, but it does give you a bigger screen with higher pixels. If only PLP would get support from Eyefinity and Nvidia then we would be set. PPP looks to be a lot of bezel for me unless you get some very thin ones or remove the bezels. I have seen some very good looking PPP setups in the LCD setup section.
 
I never would have guesses a tv could not run in portrait. PPP WIl not give as much immersion as LLL eyefinity, but it does give you a bigger screen with higher pixels. If only PLP would get support from Eyefinity and Nvidia then we would be set. PPP looks to be a lot of bezel for me unless you get some very thin ones or remove the bezels. I have seen some very good looking PPP setups in the LCD setup section.

What? The only thing that differs from PPP vs LLL when using the same displays is the aspect ratio. Turning a display on its side doesn't magically increase the pixel count or offer more real estate...
 
What? The only thing that differs from PPP vs LLL when using the same displays is the aspect ratio. Turning a display on its side doesn't magically increase the pixel count or offer more real estate...

+1.

3x 1360 = 4080, 1x 768 = 768, 4080x768 = 3,133,440pixels.

3x 768 = 2304, 1x 1360 = 1360, 2304x1360 = 3,133,440pixels.

I just checked nvidia control panel and it allows me to rotate my LG 32" LCD TV to portrait.
 
Okay... I run my setup in portrait usually but sometimes I use it in landscape. In portrait, you get a physically taller screen and you get a crisper picture because you are using more pixels to draw objects infront of you. But you lose your peripheral vision. You basically get a really big 16:10 screen. I use both, but in the end I'm going to keep a 5x1 portrait setup to have the best of both worlds. Crisp tall screen with periphery.
 
I was running 5 monitors in portrait before it was cool.

My Old Setup: 5 x Dell S2309W Monitors

32243_1409342106276_1014161926_31075586_5573720_n.jpg


Videos:
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess - Eyefinity 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

Super Smash Bros. Meele - Eyefinity 5x1 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Eyefinity 5x1 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

Ill have a picture of my current setup when my girl friend gets back home.
I have 4 x Dell 3007whp's as I'm waiting on taxes and the selling of my HDTV.
 
the option to switch to portrait is grayed out. i'm assuming since they are lcd tv's they are not capable.

that is a bug with the ATI CCC. just delete your eyefinity array or delete your profile and make a new one. i always have that problem. just do a quick google.
 
I never would have guesses a tv could not run in portrait. PPP WIl not give as much immersion as LLL eyefinity, but it does give you a bigger screen with higher pixels. If only PLP would get support from Eyefinity and Nvidia then we would be set. PPP looks to be a lot of bezel for me unless you get some very thin ones or remove the bezels. I have seen some very good looking PPP setups in the LCD setup section.

I find the exact opposite here...PPP gives me way more immersion. Even with my triple 27s things are still way to small and there are to many things going on too wide a radius to properly concentrate with LLL. Plus half of your side panels are useless due to unnatural stretched image being outside of your useful peripheral range.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/bf3eyefinity1S27A750.jpg

In BF3 PPP is larger than life with much more detail over LLL that you dont even need the cheater red triangles to help you identify the enemy because you can tell the uniform difference from 60 yards away! Its freaky actually being able to see the "whites" of the enemy's virtual eyes while your plunging a knife into them!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/s27sportrait.jpg
Bezels werent adjusted in these two pics...see this pic for proper bezel alignment^^^^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/crush1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/crush3.jpg

Also if you desire a wider aspect ratio you can drop it into window mode and stretch it out like I did here. PPP flat out gives you better use of pixel real estate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/pooboyfov.jpg
 
Back
Top